vermona retroverb lancet - sweet! (with demos)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

1pauluzz1
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 am

Post by 1pauluzz1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks a lot for these demos guys. This sounds like a winner :)!

User avatar
matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9710
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Post by matttech » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:52 pm

It certainly is. There's more demo material on the pages in my sig (mattyech modular demos, and matttech offcuts...)

User avatar
arpaxxe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Post by arpaxxe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:56 pm

I've had my eye on this one for a while. Thanks for posting this.

:hail:

User avatar
Val
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

Post by Val » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Thank you, nice demos. I already wanted a Retroverb but now I want it even more, it sounds GREAT.

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Post by heckadecimal69 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:07 pm

When I got mine, it was a matter of minutes and I had a "this changes everything" moment. Just so in love. The filter is gorgeous, my favorite filter too. And the modulation options are nuts, I can turn a drum loop into an acidic bubbly synth groove with ease. And the reverb! Be careful with that crash trigger.

Avjr

Post by Avjr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Necro post time!

I'm thinking of getting one of these to replace my Doepfer A-199 wich is giving me nightmare noise issues. How is this unit regarding picking up noise or hum?

User avatar
???
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:59 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by ??? » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:20 am

It's pretty good with noise. The filter by itself is a little bit noisy specially if you use the HP with drive. But honestly you can always find some settings where the noise is manageable even is you like clean sound. My unit has some high frequencies when I use the spring reverb. I tried to move it away from power sources, but it didn't change anything. It might be related to my setup rather than the unit itself though. Anyway, those frequencies are really easy to remove with the LP. Otherwise you can usually work something out with the tone knob.

I'm pretty picky with noise so I think it's pretty good as far as noise is concerned. (Much less noisy than the mini ms20 that I got rid of because of the ridiculous amount of noise)

This device offers so many cool tricks, the s&h lfo triggered by the the audio input is just magic. The filter is amazing and you can get some bubbly sub bass stuff.

User avatar
exeterdown
Wiggling with Anxiety
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm
Location: Australia

Post by exeterdown » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:14 am

Amazing bit of kit.

I absolutely love it except for the awful high frequency noise I get from the spring. Sometimes a super-high wispy radio-type noise, and sometimes just a single-tone ringing - like off a bad ground or power leak.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:35 am

put a drone into the verb, 100% wet in gated eg mode.
feed a sequencer's cv&gate input to the retroverb so you can modulate the flter each time gate opens. internal lfo can add modulation the too.
fat wrecked chords you'll find there.

-

also one of the fattest kick drums i ever heard came from the retroverb.
unfortunately by accident, so i can't really explain how i made it.
but i you know how to synthezise your own percussion, you're half way there.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Post by medium Rob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 am

anybody have a suggestion for what type of tool to use for adjusting the tension of the spring? there's a hole on the back panel, inside it looks like white plastic material with an asymmetrical (as opposed to a phillips/flat-head/allen-type pattern) arrow (!?) -shaped indent/groove -- not sure how to turn it, or avoid stripping/damaging the material... unless it's very easy to turn? has anyone here adjusted the spring tension? ...my "crash" sound is very brief / taut, 'one-shot' -like--wondering if it's possible to get a bit loose /more slack spring action.

btw, i live in the states and i purchased mine from Juno (UK) - they're priced about 25% cheaper (regularly) than anywhere else. not sure if this is proper etiquette (sharing pricing info), let me know if that's faux pas. thanks

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Post by medium Rob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 am

Does anyone here have a Vermona Retroverb Lancet ?

User avatar
???
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:59 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by ??? » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 am

I do. I'd like to sell it too! And there's one in the BST too. In case that was the question...

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:01 pm

medium Rob wrote:anybody have a suggestion for what type of tool to use for adjusting the tension of the spring? there's a hole on the back panel, inside it looks like white plastic material with an asymmetrical (as opposed to a phillips/flat-head/allen-type pattern) arrow (!?) -shaped indent/groove -- not sure how to turn it, or avoid stripping/damaging the material... unless it's very easy to turn? has anyone here adjusted the spring tension? ...my "crash" sound is very brief / taut, 'one-shot' -like--wondering if it's possible to get a bit loose /more slack spring action.

btw, i live in the states and i purchased mine from Juno (UK) - they're priced about 25% cheaper (regularly) than anywhere else. not sure if this is proper etiquette (sharing pricing info), let me know if that's faux pas. thanks

in the RTFM you can read in what direction you have to turn it to make the verb longer or shorten the decay. as i remember i used flat-head #0 to adjust the spring to my needs. i suggest you also can open the box.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Post by medium Rob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm

slumberjack wrote:in the RTFM you can read in what direction you have to turn it to make the verb longer or shorten the decay. as i remember i used flat-head #0 to adjust the spring to my needs. i suggest you also can open the box.
hah, thank you. i had already read the manual, there's no indication for what type of tool to use. i thought there might be a specialized key, or some German / EU standard. i appreciate the response, just wanted to err on the side of caution before purchasing a micro-sized flat-heat.. also, not sure how to loosen the rivets holding the panels together.

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

medium Rob wrote:
slumberjack wrote:in the RTFM you can read in what direction you have to turn it to make the verb longer or shorten the decay. as i remember i used flat-head #0 to adjust the spring to my needs. i suggest you also can open the box.
hah, thank you. i had already read the manual, there's no indication for what type of tool to use. i thought there might be a specialized key, or some German / EU standard. i appreciate the response, just wanted to err on the side of caution before purchasing a micro-sized flat-heat.. also, not sure how to loosen the rivets holding the panels together.
on mine there are 'hexagon socket / Allen Key' (in german their called 'Inbus') screws appart from the knobs and jacks to hold the panel to the box.
i guess on yours there aren't rivets neither.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

mihata
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Oslo

Post by mihata » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:14 am

Thank you for your demos, thanks to them I decided on getting the Filter Lancet. I knew this piece of gear, but solely based on the name I never realised how fully featured it is besides the filter. I was looking into some kind of an Analog Heat type of action with LFO and follower, but without the whole usb/midi/display/distortion types bells and whistles and the Filter Lancet really resonated with me (pun intended), although being mono. I'm looking forward to crunch, drive and modulate all my crappy digital gear I have around:)

User avatar
gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 am
Location: Seoul

Post by gummyboy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Spec says it has 3 springs
Can you select springs?
Or does that mean 3 springs in 1 tank?

Big Thanks!

User avatar
maltemark
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am
Location: Gothenburg

Post by maltemark » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm

gummyboy wrote:Spec says it has 3 springs
Can you select springs?
Or does that mean 3 springs in 1 tank?

Big Thanks!
3 in one tank

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: sarnia

Post by zaphod betamax » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Here you can clearly hear what the Retroverb does to my MS-20kit.

I feed the InvEG2 in CV for an initial LP flair, then I gate the Retroverb with
the trigger from a Monotribe that controls the reset on the S&H LFO.

IT IS THE BEST for really beefing up an MS-20Kit!!!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpJ2dsVU8_g

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:19 pm

I would definitely be getting most of the Vermona gear if I was into analog stuff without patch memories.

snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Post by snakejaw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Panason wrote:I would definitely be getting most of the Vermona gear if I was into analog stuff without patch memories.
Sorry to hear your condition prevents this.

User avatar
chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: the heart of it all

Post by chiasticon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 pm

snakejaw wrote:
Panason wrote:I would definitely be getting most of the Vermona gear if I was into analog stuff without patch memories.
Sorry to hear your condition prevents this.
I get it. I used to feel the same way. but that was mainly when I first got into synthesis, which was via digital/VA synths and software. eventually I realized that being able to recall patches and having the knobs maybe/maybe not accurately mirror what you're hearing versus the immediacy of having the synth always visually reflecting exactly how it sounds is a trade-off I'm willing to have. plus earlier on, I didn't understand what the hell I was doing, so wanting to save whatever sweet spot I found was essential.

anyway, different subject I guess. but at one point I too turned away the Vermona gear (specifically the DRM) because it couldn't save sounds. I've moved on from that mentality. for me, I'm glad I did. but, different strokes and all that...

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Post by medium Rob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 pm

apologies for a possibly dumb/obvious question - i've been using the Retroverb Lancet with an 0-coast (headphone / line output), also with an Elektron Digtakt (one of two main outputs) with good results ... wondering if it can handle modular-level signals, or if i should attenuate (any modular signal) before processing it with the Retroverb Lancet. thinking to use an Intellijel Triatt to attenuate the pre-reverb / filter signal... are there any drawbacks to doing that, or is attenuation unnecessary? any thoughts are appreciated

User avatar
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Post by SOPiiAC » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:37 pm

medium Rob wrote:l... are there any drawbacks to doing that, or is attenuation unnecessary? any thoughts are appreciated
I recommend touching base with Vermona directly. They have always answered my questions promptly and succinctly. They know their gear better than anyone else. They use top quality components so I would expect some good news.

zaphod betamax
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm
Location: sarnia

Post by zaphod betamax » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Other uses for my Retroverb. External signal processor!

I take 2 CV OCD controlled Monotribes, with both VCOs set to on all the time by sending +5V from CV OCD to the gates. CV OCD also converts MIDI to
Lo Note and Hi Note CV control of these 2 Monotribes.

Feed the outputs into the Audio In on the Retroverb and gate the Filter and VCA.

Boom, it sounds nice in my opinion.


Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”