Eventide H9 - new pedal

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:02 pm

I just realized the H9 and other Eventide stompboxes were updated this past August. I got some downloadin' to do...

https://www.eventideaudio.com/news/prod ... mpbox-line

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:22 am

Had it a few weeks now, already bought 10 more algos! Fantastic stuff. Reverbs, Chorus and Phaser particularly good. Only really tested on guitar so far. Will find permanent place as part of my portable DJ rig once the Condesa Lucia mixer finally arrives.

Heavenly3lues
Common Wiggler

Post by Heavenly3lues » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 pm

I picked up an H9 Max off a member off here. I'm in love with it. Thinking of picking up an H9 core when possible!

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:38 am

Just a quick update, as I've had the H9 for nearly a year now, and in that time I've used it with the send and return of my DJ mixer (stereo), and the send and return of my guitar amp (mono), and want to report that it works flawlessly in both of these configurations. As long as you spend some time setting up the input and output gain to work best in each specific situation, you are good to go. It's quite simply the best hardware effects processor I have ever used! Off to buy the SpaceTime algorithm for $20 now (chorus, delay and reverb with adjustable routing), slowly making my way towards the MAX, just a few algorithms left to go...

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:37 pm

Excellent.

I'm also using my H9 (mine is a Max) in my mixer send bus. Works great there as I can adjust the input gain of each channel feeding the send bus.

I was using my Octatrack as my main reverb unit, but it went on a fritz - probably too much bouncing around in my mixer/pedal/cable case while driving 3 hours each way to play/rehearse in my friend's band. I was getting on with it fine, but the H9's reverbs sound so much more monstrous - which is what the band leader wants. ;)

I took the time to study and practice the use of Expert Mode, in case I might need it on the gig in Las Vegas. Expert Mode, for those who don't have an H9, is what allows access to all 10 parameters of the loaded algorithm, without requiring an iPad or other software editor. The H9 needless to say has survived the gigs, as well as air travel between the east coast and Vegas.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:59 pm

rove74 wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote: I ignored this pedal before, but now it looks like a good deal. Does it support MIDI over USB?

A couple of H9s paired with a KMix may be in my near future. I like my Mackie VLZ-1202 but it only has one effects send bus.
Yes, midi over USB is supported. I think the usb midi overrides the DIN midi, if that makes any difference. I have had luck syncing to midi clock via both USB and DIN midi, but it seems that the iOS app doesn't like it when the pedal is clocked externally and you want to demo algorithms, for me that always causes the pedal to freeze (removing midi clock un-freezes).
I find this concerning and would appreciate if someone could clarify....

If I am modulating or even just syncing the H9 with a midi sequencer such as Cirklon, will any use of the app cause the pedal to freeze?

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:29 pm

minimalist wrote:
rove74 wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote: I ignored this pedal before, but now it looks like a good deal. Does it support MIDI over USB?

A couple of H9s paired with a KMix may be in my near future. I like my Mackie VLZ-1202 but it only has one effects send bus.
Yes, midi over USB is supported. I think the usb midi overrides the DIN midi, if that makes any difference. I have had luck syncing to midi clock via both USB and DIN midi, but it seems that the iOS app doesn't like it when the pedal is clocked externally and you want to demo algorithms, for me that always causes the pedal to freeze (removing midi clock un-freezes).

If I am modulating or even just syncing the H9 with a midi sequencer such as Cirklon, will any use of the app cause the pedal to freeze?
If I have some time this weekend I will experiment with using an iPad sequencer to sync the H9, while running the H9 Control app at the same time.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:48 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
minimalist wrote:
rove74 wrote:

If I have some time this weekend I will experiment with using an iPad sequencer to sync the H9, while running the H9 Control app at the same time.
Thanks.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:52 pm

minimalist wrote:
rove74 wrote:

The answer is no, at least not in the case of Tony Saunders' excellent midiSequencer iPad app.

The H9 Control app MUST however be in the foreground if you have to use it.. If it is in the background, it may interfere with the H9's reception of MIDI data. I personally prefer to just use Quick Edit or Expert Mode on the H9 directly if I need to tweak anything on the H9 during a live show or band rehearsal - I try to avoid using H9 Control in either scenario.

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:54 pm

is it possible to clock the h9 with cv/triggers, to sync it with the modular?

billyk419
Veteran Wiggler

Post by billyk419 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:36 am

I don't see how without a CV-to-MIDI converter
"If it sounds good, it IS good." ~Duke Ellington

Case

FS/FT

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:42 am

well its possible with the strymon via the tap tempo input

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GovernorSilver » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:13 am

pitri wrote:is it possible to clock the h9 with cv/triggers, to sync it with the modular?
Somebody came up with this trick for Eventide Space. Maybe it'll work with H9 too, via the expression pedal input.

http://www.analogindustries.com/b1716/

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:59 pm

What is the consensus on what are the best midi controller alternatives for H9:s for someone who hates ipads and computers?

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:57 am

maltemark wrote:What is the consensus on what are the best midi controller alternatives for H9:s for someone who hates ipads and computers?
I am planning to build a little box based on the Doepfer Pocket Electronic:

http://www.doepfer.de/pe.htm

Thought it would be neat to mimic the layout of the Factor pedals and the app. Streamlined and affordable.

Someone has done this already, and it seems like he is selling boxes, too:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community ... roller-diy

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:06 pm

maltemark wrote:What is the consensus on what are the best midi controller alternatives for H9:s for someone who hates ipads and computers?
I don't have an answer to this question (although my first inclination would be to suggest a Faderfox device), but controlling the h9 from a midi controller is always going to come with the cost of not knowing what parameter you're changing, as the mappings change from algorithm to algorithm and the h9's screen doesn't display the parameter being changed when you control it over midi. if you would like that to change, please issue a request to eventide as I have.

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:05 pm

In January, you can upgrade to a max for half the cost.

listentoaheartbeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by listentoaheartbeat » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:12 am

autopoiesis wrote:
I don't have an answer to this question (although my first inclination would be to suggest a Faderfox device), but controlling the h9 from a midi controller is always going to come with the cost of not knowing what parameter you're changing, as the mappings change from algorithm to algorithm and the h9's screen doesn't display the parameter being changed when you control it over midi. if you would like that to change, please issue a request to eventide as I have.
It's always the same set of parameters as on the Factor pedals, with the exception of the H9 algorithms. The panel design posted above has labels for all four layouts, which I think makes a lot of sense. This way you only have to learn the parameters for the H9 algorithms. I'd put labels like this on a generic MIDI controller as well.
kwaidan wrote:In January, you can upgrade to a max for half the cost.
Indeed! From the email: "Promo ends February 14, 2017"

Skaput
Common Wiggler

Post by Skaput » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Picked one of these up recently, it's a great sounding pedal ,but after a frustrating hour realise that you can't sync to midi clock whilst connected via USB , which is annoying for Windows users. Any one know of any work rounds . Iam using ableton as master with an expert sleepers Usamo, so have tight midi clock and want to keep it that way but still want to control pedal with the h9 control app.
Does the pedal behave differently with IOS and Bluetooth , not that I have any Apple devices , but just wondering if using Bluetooth is a bad idea when playing live and having the possibility of lots of conflicting Bluetooth devices in a small area .

Skaput
Common Wiggler

Post by Skaput » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Ok, so to answer my own question and for the benefit of Windows users who are thinking of getting this pedal , you know the part were everyone tells you to read the manual . Don't .
Don't read the part in the introduction that tells you that Bluetooth only works with IOS , Don't read the part in the chapter called basics , the part were Eventide specifically tells you to read, that PC users can only connect by USB, by not reading these parts Windows users will not be deterred from connecting by Bluetooth and thus be spared the confusion and annoyance of trying to sync to a midi clock whilst connected to the pedal by USB

DNRTFM. :deadbanana:

Huddlemuff
Common Wiggler

Post by Huddlemuff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:02 pm

:doh:

Maybe it's time to switch to a mac? :miley:
Skaput wrote:Ok, so to answer my own question and for the benefit of Windows users who are thinking of getting this pedal , you know the part were everyone tells you to read the manual . Don't .
Don't read the part in the introduction that tells you that Bluetooth only works with IOS , Don't read the part in the chapter called basics , the part were Eventide specifically tells you to read, that PC users can only connect by USB, by not reading these parts Windows users will not be deterred from connecting by Bluetooth and thus be spared the confusion and annoyance of trying to sync to a midi clock whilst connected to the pedal by USB

DNRTFM. :deadbanana:

Huddlemuff
Common Wiggler

Post by Huddlemuff » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:07 pm

BADASS! Nice.
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
I am planning to build a little box based on the Doepfer Pocket Electronic:

http://www.doepfer.de/pe.htm

Thought it would be neat to mimic the layout of the Factor pedals and the app. Streamlined and affordable.

Someone has done this already, and it seems like he is selling boxes, too:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community ... roller-diy

m32dave
Learning to Wiggle

H9 Max or timefactor and space

Post by m32dave » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:55 am

Which should I buy H9 Max or timefactor and space?

I do have an iPad, but see potential issues with live performance.

shamann
_

Re: H9 Max or timefactor and space

Post by shamann » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm

m32dave wrote:Which should I buy H9 Max or timefactor and space?

That's a hard question for anyone other than you to answer, as it would depend a lot on your intended uses. I have both a Timefactor and H9 Max, and almost always use them at the same time, either in serial or separate signal chains. So if you need delay and reverb at the same time, and you're never going to use the other stuff that comes with the H9 Max, I can't imagine it alone would be a good choice for you.

I don't have an iPad and have had no problems programming the H9 on the fly. It's not a perfect interface. They appear to think of it mostly as a preset machine rather than a more hands-on effect, so there's always things you wish they had done a little differently when you have no interest in presets. It especially bugs me that the final output volume isn't available from the XYZ buttons for every algorithm. But there are so few parameters to sort through that it's really easy to work quickly with it.

The H9 has some advantages: it's smaller and has a lower power requirement, and the H9-only effects are nice to have (I especially like the resonator and ultrataps). And a good thing about the Max package is that they seem to be adding a new algorithm at least once a year.

GovernorSilver
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: H9 Max or timefactor and space

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:04 pm

m32dave wrote:Which should I buy H9 Max or timefactor and space?

I chose H9 Max over the other two pedals for the following reasons:

1. Original intent was to use the pedal with synths, with MIDI sequencer sending MIDI program change, continuous controller, etc. messages to the pedal. So basically, automated use with synths.

2. Less occupied space. One H9 smaller than two 'factor pedals.

Ironically I now use the H9 with electric violin more than with synths.

I'm sure most people would say they prefer the combined 20 knobs and 6 footswitches of the two 'factor pedals for live use. But then most people also complain about pedalboard space eaten up by pedals, pedalboard weight, etc.

You can use the H9 without an iPad. Expert Mode will get you access to all 10 parameters for an algorithm, without an iPad or computer. But you have to be willing to learn how to use Expert Mode.

Return to “General Gear”