The Ekdahl Polygamist!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Smokey
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by Smokey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:44 pm

chris_g wrote: I just hope that someday in the future Karl finds a faster and less stressful manufacturing process, since I'd love to own a product like this that I believe in 100%, from the manufacturing, to the sounds it can create.
I'm not on Facebook but sometimes I checkout a few manufacturers pages. I saw this on the Knas facebook:

"...we've been working on acquiring new fabrication skills, if everything goes as planned you can expect some truly unique / bizarre things to come out of the Knas workshop in the next year or so - it's real exciting! We're also trying to up efficiency in general so we can start pumping out a few new products instead of just producing moisturizers..."

:party:

User avatar
sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Omaha

Post by sloth713 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:48 pm

That is awesome news!!!!!! Thanks for sharing it Smokey :tu:

Also all you polygamist (and wretch machine) videos are fantastic :yay:

User avatar
Smokey
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by Smokey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:18 pm

sloth713 wrote:Also all you polygamist (and wretch machine) videos are fantastic :yay:
Thanks for the views! I really appreciate the feedback.

I've been inspired by dan_p, deltapheonix, and all the other Polygamist music posters here. It is quite an amazing instrument.

I'm really looking forward to whatever Karl has in store for us next!

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Post by deltaphoenix » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Smokey, I like the video with your wife, I feel like we all went on a vacation together. Where was the footage in the hills shot at? I am glad that there are a few Polygamist owners here that can compile so music and inspire each other. I did have a nice, caffeinated jam on Sunday.I need to get some longer 3.5mm patch cables. It was going to be too much work to rearrange things in order to patch to my format jumbler and to the Serge (or the other way). I do look forward to experimenting with cross-patching those too. I do have CV Processors in my Serge so that should be a help.

I definitely agree with the sentiment expressed earlier about how people treat the Polygamist as a special synth. Well, it is really. It is unique in operation, sound, features but most importantly, to me, it is just fun to touch and play. If the studio was on fire (PLEASE...NO!!!) I am pretty certain that I would grab the Polygamist before my Serge System…Hopefully I could get that though too.

I am thinking that I will record a bit tomorrow.
Last edited by deltaphoenix on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by chvad » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Hey all... used the Polygamist live during an improved set last month at the Warper Party here in NYC. It's a 23 minute long set that cascades from a simple drone into what ends up as a fairly elaborate arrangement. The drones and leads are all Polygamist. Aside from going through some external effects (infinity looper, reverb and delay) it's all Polygamist and all playing is through the control surface and ribbon. Anyhoo... some more Polygamist out in the wild!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/190540218" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

User avatar
Helmey
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm
Location: Encinitas, CA

Post by Helmey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:37 am

The Polygamist is definitely the one synth I own that I would grab if there were a fire, bar none - it's irreplaceable. It's an incredible and unique instrument with a gigantic sonic range. I've never played a synth with so many sensitive and interacting LFOs that all go from hugely long cycles all the way to hypersonic mayhem. Cross-modulation is so crucial to the sound of the Polygamist that the filter is almost an afterthought. It's not a synth that you can manhandle and it requires a very delicate touch to play it under control. It has such a unique design that it takes a while to understand the complex semi-modular internal routing scheme and the interactions between the different components. I'm just getting started using the patch points.

I took it to my first live synth jam in San Diego a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome - a huge, angry sound from one small box. It can also sound very musical and organic with some extra effort. I'll be taking it out again to the meet next month to pair it with my Eurorack. It should be interesting. Out of respect to Karl, and all the effort it took to build this synth, the Polygamist is not an instrument that should just sit on a shelf... OK, here it is, sitting on a shelf ;-)

Image

User avatar
Smokey
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Post by Smokey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:23 pm

deltaphoenix wrote:Smokey, I like the video with your wife, I feel like we all went on a vacation together. Where was the footage in the hills shot at? I am glad that there are a few Polygamist owners here that can compile so music and inspire each other. I did have a nice, caffeinated jam on Sunday.I need to get some longer 3.5mm patch cables.
Thanks! I got a GoPro and Adobe Premier last year and have finally got around to figuring out how to make videos. The footage in Polygamist Love 3 is from a drive we took down the Pacific Coast Highway in California. We were visiting family in Santa Cruz and took the PCH all the way down to Los Angeles, stopping at random state parks and beaches. It is a beautiful drive. I can't quite remember what exact state park beach the footage was shot at.

Yes! I need some longer patch cables too. I'm finally getting around to patching the Polygamist and am having a blast. I'm looking forward to whatever sounds you post next.

chvad, really beautiful track! I love how it progresses, with the hypnotic drone, field recordings, beats, and bit of sexiness at the end. Well done!

Helmey, great pic! I agree about the LFO's, they are one of my favorite parts of the Polygamist. I looks like it was a fun meet up. I'm not too far from SD. I'll have to check out one of the next meets.

Here is another Polygamist Love video. My wife gives me a helping hand and we are having more noisey droney fun. I can start a new thread for all these videos if you all would rather me not clog up this thread. I think we want to do 10 to 14 Polygamist Love videos this month as a creative challenge.
[video][/video]

User avatar
chris_g
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Post by chris_g » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Smokey wrote:
deltaphoenix wrote:Smokey, I like the video with your wife, I feel like we all went on a vacation together. Where was the footage in the hills shot at? I am glad that there are a few Polygamist owners here that can compile so music and inspire each other. I did have a nice, caffeinated jam on Sunday.I need to get some longer 3.5mm patch cables.
Thanks! I got a GoPro and Adobe Premier last year and have finally got around to figuring out how to make videos. The footage in Polygamist Love 3 is from a drive we took down the Pacific Coast Highway in California. We were visiting family in Santa Cruz and took the PCH all the way down to Los Angeles, stopping at random state parks and beaches. It is a beautiful drive. I can't quite remember what exact state park beach the footage was shot at.

Yes! I need some longer patch cables too. I'm finally getting around to patching the Polygamist and am having a blast. I'm looking forward to whatever sounds you post next.

chvad, really beautiful track! I love how it progresses, with the hypnotic drone, field recordings, beats, and bit of sexiness at the end. Well done!

Helmey, great pic! I agree about the LFO's, they are one of my favorite parts of the Polygamist. I looks like it was a fun meet up. I'm not too far from SD. I'll have to check out one of the next meets.

Here is another Polygamist Love video. My wife gives me a helping hand and we are having more noisey droney fun. I can start a new thread for all these videos if you all would rather me not clog up this thread. I think we want to do 10 to 14 Polygamist Love videos this month as a creative challenge.
[video][/video]
This sounds great, you and your wife are getting some fantastic sounds out of this synth!

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 am

Man Smokey! #4 is a great video :tu: Just sounds great!

Here is a piece with a bit of drums (from my Tempest) with the Polygamist

https://soundcloud.com/deltaphoenix/temporal-polygamy

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 pm

[video][/video]

User avatar
duluthdack
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:01 pm
Location: Duluth, MN

Post by duluthdack » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:58 am

Who owns this???? Geez.... I just want to play it

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:24 pm


robbiemacman
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 am

Maybe selling my Polygamist

Post by robbiemacman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 pm

I 'maybe' selling my Polygamist for various non musical reasons.... As far as I know it is one of the only ones with a custom made 220v internal power supply that Karl at Knas built.... Message me if you are interested in maybe acquiring a beautiful instrument to make inspiring music with if I do sell.

User avatar
chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Post by chvad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:46 pm

no selling until you pop 100 posts.

robbiemacman
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 8:54 am

If this is not allowed I apologise I didn't know

Post by robbiemacman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:49 pm

If this is not allowed I apologise I didn't know

User avatar
Helmey
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm
Location: Encinitas, CA

Post by Helmey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:03 am

Here's a track I recorded from my mixer today when I was playing around on the Polygamist. Nothing fancy, no patch cords. Just playing with the ribbon and knobs to get more familiar with to the layout...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/209044975" params="color=ff5500&inverse=false&auto_play=false&show_user=true" width="100%" height="20" iframe="true" /]

User avatar
deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1318
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL

Post by deltaphoenix » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:53 am

Cool, what effects are you running it through?

User avatar
MindMachine
weekend warrior
Posts: 6793
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 am
Location: Santa Susana Field Lab

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:16 am

Beautiful! I could look at and listen to that instrument all day long. Truly original. Congrats.
:guinness:
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

User avatar
Helmey
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm
Location: Encinitas, CA

Post by Helmey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:00 am

deltaphoenix wrote:Cool, what effects are you running it through?
Thanks! Just a delay.

User avatar
sbuge
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 am
Location: Finland

Post by sbuge » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:43 am

It has been a while when I last time visited this topic, but really good Polygamist stuff has been shared in here!
Smokey, chvad, dan_p, Helmey & deltaphoenix keep posting stuff. Really nice to hear what others are doing with Pgamist. :yay:



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here are two Polygamist songs from my latest cassette
1. Helsinki /Instruments: Polygamist, Moisturizer & Modular Synth-->doing the 8step sequence
and
2. Helsinki:2 /Instruments: Polygamist & Moisturizer

Recorded in May 2015 with Teac-3340s.


[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=734287398 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=3179678763]

Also in track 4. Tampere you can hear sounds from Polygamist.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Some info about these songs

I am in a project called ´Vuosi´ (Year) which releases one cassette per month.

'Vuosi' has performed live four times in three cities: Helsinki, Turku
and Tampere. The tracks in this cassette are based on ideas and preparations of those four Vuosi-concerts.

I have used only the instruments that were used in the actual gigs. Yet these are completely new songs, not live recordings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Image

WilDFire
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 pm
Location: Oak Park, IL

Post by WilDFire » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Exciting that Karl will be relasing more kit. About to get my Moisturizer back with mods and can't wait for more tasty mayhem. Too bad it is all but impossible to find a polygamist out in the wild - no one will sell them!

User avatar
Scratch
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:29 am
Contact:

knas

Post by Scratch » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:27 pm

I'd love to get my hands on a Polygamist. Only synth on my wishlist.

User avatar
sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Omaha

Post by sloth713 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 pm

WilDFire wrote:Exciting that Karl will be relasing more kit. About to get my Moisturizer back with mods and can't wait for more tasty mayhem. Too bad it is all but impossible to find a polygamist out in the wild - no one will sell them!
Hey WilDFire, could you please share more details on what Karl is planing on releasing

User avatar
soup
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 543
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Post by soup » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:12 pm

to go off topic a bit ... the polygamist and the moisturizer are both flat out amazing in ways I couldn't really dream of before I had either of them but the quad massager? is anyone doing something super cool with one?

WilDFire
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 pm
Location: Oak Park, IL

Post by WilDFire » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:05 pm

sloth713 wrote:
WilDFire wrote:Exciting that Karl will be relasing more kit. About to get my Moisturizer back with mods and can't wait for more tasty mayhem. Too bad it is all but impossible to find a polygamist out in the wild - no one will sell them!
Hey WilDFire, could you please share more details on what Karl is planing on releasing
I was just referencing what Smokey said at the top of this page. Nothing new on the website but just go through the thread. If Karl's updating his manufacturing process maybe we'll see an even CHEAPER polygamist (he hopes) :nana:

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”