DSI Tempest users: How many of you kept the Tempest?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 am

Sanys wrote:sold it in 2 months, seemed so obvious and never deep enough to me. 'hipster' kind of a synth/drum machine
What is remotely close to "hipster" regarding the Tempest? The Tempest wears skinny jeans?

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:05 pm

deleted comment

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Wooden sides are hipster

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 pm

So, DSI Tempest is a "hipster" drum synth because of the wooden sides? So a boat also having wooden sides is "hipster?" I would rather not sink!

That said, very little is the same between DSI Tempest and a boat.

However, DSI Tempest can create "hipster" beats such as chillwave, vaporwave, witch house, and horror house with ease. This is its primary use along with making rave techno tracks. No other drum machine excels as much as the Tempest for those genres. I've even heard of hipsters using it for terrorcore (distorted fearcore). But never drone...

Swing setting also A++ on Tempest.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Aren't all drum machines "hipster"? :razz:

I don't own skinny jeans and don't grow a beard on purpose (laziness causes a small one sometimes) and I don't ride a fixed gear bike and I don't have a man bun for hair and I don't wear my pants with cuffs 4" above my kicks and I don't spend more time with my head at a 30 degree down tilt eyes fixed on Facebook and I'm not into paying 5 times what a taco should cost because another hipster told me it was cool to pay $5 for a tofu taco...

But I did buy a Tempest about a month ago while I was still living in the hippest part of downtown LA. But I only paid half what a new one costs...

I played around with an Jomox Alpha this weekend...remembered how I didn't like the 888 interface, and didn't like this new one either. Sounds cool, but I'm used to the DSI interfaces now. But Jomox could be hipster maybe? Wood sides...

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Jomox is just bad.

First thing I'd do to anything other than a Moog keyboard would be to remove the wooden sides. I want my gear to look like gear, not trying to be "vintage". All-metal cases FTW!

The absolute worse is fake wood sides like in the Arturia stuff :help:

Mr. Sound Boy King
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 pm

dkcg wrote:Aren't all drum machines "hipster"? :razz:
LOL yes.

How do you like the Tempest?

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
dkcg wrote:Aren't all drum machines "hipster"? :razz:
LOL yes.

How do you like the Tempest?
Been busy moving so I haven't had too much time with it. But it completely filled that analog drum area in my setup that the Electrons just never could. I had some regrets selling my 888, but only because I wanted a real analog drum machine...the Korg Beats was ok, but just barely.

I wish you could load your own samples tho...even via midi sysex. But not that big a deal with the Octatrack around.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Panason wrote:Jomox is just bad.
Nope.
Panason wrote:First thing I'd do to anything other than a Moog keyboard would be to remove the wooden sides.
I'd probably play music but each to his/her/gender non-conforming own.

Rade
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rade » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm

All analog drum machine & synth jam, no post processing, direct recording to Ableton, through RME interface.

Gear used:

Dave Smith Instruments & Roger Linn Design Tempest drum machine
Moog Minitaur analog bass synthesizer
Moog moogerfooger FreqBox
Moog moogerfooger analog delay
Moog moogerfooger 12- stage phaser
Moog moogerfooger CP-251 processor

A lot of CV interaction between moogerfoogers, Minitaur and Tempest

LFO's from CP-251 processor and 12-stage phaser, envelope out from FreqBox, controlling various parameters on Tempest through two pedal inputs.
CV and off grid action.

https://soundcloud.com/rademusic17/rade ... ng-rhythms

Bye, Rade

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 pm

I had a Tempest 3 years ago & had to sell it for car repairs.

Now I have another.

It is an amazing instrument.
The problem I am seeing posted all over the internet is that everyone had a preconception of what it is.....

Thank God it's Not the LM-1, 808, 909, etc.

Now with it's final update it will do anything another drum machine can do.

However, I think the main problem is calling this a drum machine
:mrgreen:

[video][/video]

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:31 pm

My Tempest is going nowhere. Just got a Decksaver for it too.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:00 pm

my tempest is also a keeper. i bought one waaaaay after release so i knew exactly what it was. what it is is awesome and singular. also happy it isn't trying to be an approximation of something else. great great instrument.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:14 pm

I've had a Tempest for 5-ish years, I think? I love it, and there is danger in considering it to be strictly a drum machine. I find Tempest is at its best when I use it as a groovebox. That said, it's also not truly a groovebox because its voice architecture is set up to consider "a voice" as one-shots. You certainly can use a voice to do droney, "typical" synth stuff. But that's not the Tempest's intention. So it really is somewhere in between a drum machine and a groovebox. And I love the Tempest for that.

All that said, what bothers me most about my Tempest is not its sequencer, voice architecture, usability, etc. Bottom line: sometimes it just doesn't sound as good as I want it to. I've had trouble pinning down what exactly it is that I dislike about the sound. The filters are, well, fine. They don't suck, but they're not great. The envelopes aren't great -- they just don't feel very musical to me. The analog oscillators are also just kinda meh; again they don't suck, but they don't blow me away. I don't know. Hard to pin down exactly. But compared to the sound from Dreadbox's contribution to the Medusa, for example, I think Tempest leaves a lot to be desired.

Still can't see selling my Tempest. Would just be too hard to replace with other gear.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I recently snagged a Tempest. I have been using an Analog Rytm and a Nava 909 and have been pretty happy. I wanted something a little different to complement the Rytm, and the Tempest seemed to check a lot of boxes for me. Also I have switched over sequencing to a Cirklon, so the sequencer itself is somewhat irrelevant to me. I have mixed feelings up front, but I think it's partly from not having enough time with it, and partly because it's such a different workflow compared to other DSI synths. My biggest complaint (and again, this might be from lack of knowledge) is that the digital oscillators seem to be disorganized. I know that sounds are arranged in categories, but the samples themselves are not, right? That's a lot of samples to sift through. Also, just on principle I don't love the notion that I'm limited to a specific number of samples, even though there are a ton. Ha, but I'll get over it. I think I just need to commit to it, and I'll really dig it in the end. On paper, the specs are impressive. And I think that it will be the most unique drum machine/groove box I've owned.

As an aside I thought I'd sell the Nava, but I'm just a sucker for a 909 I guess. I can't bring myself to let it go.

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm

That’s Better!

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:05 pm

yo son you got an envelope over OLED. WTH? I'm formally requesting the use of different colored knobs on your mixer section and envelopes and BPM dammit!

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:I've had a Tempest for 5-ish years, I think? I love it, and there is danger in considering it to be strictly a drum machine. I find Tempest is at its best when I use it as a groovebox. That said, it's also not truly a groovebox because its voice architecture is set up to consider "a voice" as one-shots. You certainly can use a voice to do droney, "typical" synth stuff. But that's not the Tempest's intention. So it really is somewhere in between a drum machine and a groovebox. And I love the Tempest for that.

All that said, what bothers me most about my Tempest is not its sequencer, voice architecture, usability, etc. Bottom line: sometimes it just doesn't sound as good as I want it to. I've had trouble pinning down what exactly it is that I dislike about the sound. The filters are, well, fine. They don't suck, but they're not great. The envelopes aren't great -- they just don't feel very musical to me. The analog oscillators are also just kinda meh; again they don't suck, but they don't blow me away. I don't know. Hard to pin down exactly. But compared to the sound from Dreadbox's contribution to the Medusa, for example, I think Tempest leaves a lot to be desired.

Still can't see selling my Tempest. Would just be too hard to replace with other gear.
I think I can see this. DSI synths, especially the Evolver line, are the sum > the parts. I don't think any one thing sounds that great on DSI synths usually, but when you put it all together, it does sound great, modulation and all.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:44 pm

What do you guys think of the sound quality of the samples in the Tempest?

One thing I like about the Tempest is the quality of samples seem a little grittier than other modern drum machines. Some gritty samples are in there and pitching down reveals that too. The fact that it has a modulation matrix is awesome. This is the thing, along with the sound of the samples, that I like most. It's basically a drum machine that is edited like a synth. I love that! :sb: I'm not into drum machines for this reason, because most have a couple parameters to change the sound slightly, but nothing dramatic or crazy can be done usually. On the Tempest, you probably have the most modulation possibilities of any modern drum machine.

With that said, my Jomox Alpha Base sounds really good. I wasn't really into the Elektron Rytm. I didn't like the sound of the machines, thought they sounded weak. Modulation is a lot of fun as always, but not into it's basic sound.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:56 pm

The Jomox and Tempest pair well... I dont have an Alpha but rather an Airbase 99 for Jomox duties and I really do love the two sounds hanging out with one another.

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 pm

[video][/video]
Last edited by ritchiedrums on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:59 pm

stikygum wrote:What do you guys think of the sound quality of the samples in the Tempest?

I'm not into drum machines for this reason, because most have a couple parameters to change the sound slightly, but nothing dramatic or crazy can be done usually. On the Tempest, you probably have the most modulation possibilities of any modern drum machine.

With that said, my Jomox Alpha Base sounds really good. I wasn't really into the Elektron Rytm. I didn't like the sound of the machines, thought they sounded weak. Modulation is a lot of fun as always, but not into it's basic sound.
At the beginning drum machines were designed to be drum kits & percussion.
There isn't much variation on 1 real snare, etc.....
Tempest has definitely brought things into a new dimension.
I hope it continues

:guinness:

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:22 pm

I've had a little time with the Tempest and I'm still a little on the fence with it. I think a lot of it is my lack of knowledge at this point, but I think some are also some shortcomings that annoy me. First of all the lack of CC implementation was a major bummer. But that didn't stop me haha. Otherwise is it me or is really difficult to find the sample you want? I know you can load sounds based on category, but are the samples loaded in any order? And is there an easy way to audition them? Or do you just flip through the samples in one of the digital oscillators and audition them that way til you find something you like? It's just a little maddening to me right now, but I think I need a little more time. Ha, I may not use it as a drum machine much at all it seems. Honestly, one of my big motivators was that I really missed my PolyEvolver. Haha, I don't know how much the Tempest will fill that void for me either.

Otherwise, I'm really considering a Jomox as this just didn't scratch the novel drum machine itch for me. The Jomox seems to have a good balance of classic appeal and newer features. Probably looking at an XBase 888 or 999. I also have a Rytm which I'm rather fond of.

Steam Shield
Common Wiggler

Post by Steam Shield » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 pm

I like how the Tempest’s LFOs manipulate white noise into rhythmic content and that there’s a tunable noise source. I also find it’s sound provides a good layer when mixed underneath other drum tracks as a way to support the main beat.

Eventually I sold mine, it just wasn’t getting a lot of use. Ironically, if I could only have 1 single synth/drum machine/instrument, the Tempest would be a contender because of its versatility and uniqueness.

kxx303
Common Wiggler

Post by kxx303 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:01 pm

I guess the Tempest has some kind of tb-303-ish fate. Of course T will not get that hype, here is what I mean: at first 303 was made to play instead of a bass player in a "live" band and failed. We all know what happened after. The Tempest was created as a drum machine, but in my hands it tends to be an "ambient" machine, not "drum".

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

Well I was going to sell it a couple of times. But I discovered this "soundsculpture mode" once - since then years passing by and my Tempest is still here.
Last edited by kxx303 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gear”