DSI Tempest users: How many of you kept the Tempest?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Vootman
Common Wiggler

Post by Vootman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:30 pm

You know that girl that we've all gone out with once or twice in our gear whoring lives, that girl you want to like so badly you lie to yourself...she has a reeeely nice body, but it's the insides that count... well that about sums up my experience with the Tempest. At the end of the relationship I just didn't like the sound, plain and simple. I sold it today to a great guy who will appreciate her for who she is... That said, DSI knocked it outta the park with the Pro 2...currently my favorite synth, it's awesome sounding! I hope they do a Tempest 2 with a Pro 2 sound engine, and add CV and Gate outs..now that would be "a dame to kill for"_
Frank Miller

natrixgli
Learning to Wiggle

Post by natrixgli » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 am

The Tempest is the only synth I've not been able to part with yet. It's also the one I've probably wanted to get rid of the most frequently.

peachfuzzmcgee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachfuzzmcgee » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:36 pm

The tempest is a funny instrument, it's the instrument I would get most frustrated with, but at the same time it was the instrument that I felt was most alive. I couldnt get it to play nice with any sequencer, and when it was sequenced elsewhere it was super gimped, but when I let go of some of those kicks and leads, it just had some weight to it.

I sometimes think that I want it back (enjoy it Deltaphoenix), but at the same time I might have just wanted it as a synth and at that point there is probably better choices.Then again a P'08 is about the same price for a used rack version and it doesn't have the sequencer functions and all the extra drum hubbub. So who knows, I was getting pretty good at using it quickly but making drums on it was a pain in the ass.

making synth sounds on it was super fun though.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:51 pm

I didn't keep it. I tried to like it for 3 years, but the only great sounds out of it were polysynth sounds. Drum sounds sound horrible to me. Made some fun loops with the included samples, but could not justify a $2000 dollar machine that plays crappy samples.
What I didn't like:
Envelopes. Not snappy, annoying clicks.
The hipass filter. No resonance => useless
The digital waveforms: annoying hiss in most of the waveforms
The bugs and the wait before they got fixed

Loved:
The pads
The oscs and lp filter

I might get one just as a polysynth if it comes cheap, but I'm more interested in the upcoming parva.

rdomain
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rdomain » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:44 pm

I've had no issues with getting it to sync but I'm using it with a Sync Gen Pro which is tight as. Finally incorporating into my modular rig more. :yay:

And yeah, I've got the Pro 2 too. A great synth but for some reason, I'm never super inspired to use it unlike my modular or even Tempest. Hopefully that'll change at some stage.

Here's some Tempest/Modular love. :tu:

https://instagram.com/p/7iJXqTHfpx/?taken-by=rdomain
aritchie.com

ActionMaxVA
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ActionMaxVA » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:25 am

I sold mine last year.
I kept trying to click with it but have gotten away from that style of drum programming.
Dave Smith and Roger Linn are two of my favorite makers so I felt strange letting it go.
Part of my reasoning was to move the equity into something else and knowing that they would typically be around used for quite some time.
Sometimes when I sell something I tell myself if I really miss it I will find one again.
I liked the sound and the sequencer was solid I have just gotten so far away from midi or in the box type composition.
I also liked a lot of the DSI synth sounds and that overdrive it offers but I have that covered fairly well in the Polyevolver and the Curtis filer module.

Until we meet again Tempest.....

hellodustin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hellodustin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:15 pm

I've got a tempest but have yet to fully explore it. I think I'll have some dedicated time in the coming months. I intend to love it. We'll see what it holds for me. :love:

blue_lu
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blue_lu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:57 am

Sold mine. The output assign issue was just not working for me.
Hordijk system in action:
Klonk!
Kläng!

Heavenly3lues
Common Wiggler

Post by Heavenly3lues » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:31 pm

It's great reading through this thread, as I have been looking at the Tempest for a while now. I'm still on the fence. Thanks for sharing all your experiences!

clunky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by clunky » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 am

The T is fantastic and flawed in equal measure.

Great sounds, versatile - stupid memory , big bugs.

The good side was apparent to me early on, the bad side doesnt come till you're much further down the road.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:31 pm

I love my tempest. Stick with the contest sounds and the Stim sounds and it's incredible. If you think of it as a rhythmic synthesizer instead of a durrr-909/808 stand-in you'll come around much faster.

Do think the memory is garbage, both because it basically forever precludes user samples and because it's just really tiny even just for storing sounds/projects. Memory is cheap! whyyyyy.

federicochiesa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by federicochiesa » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:42 pm

i had it for 2 months... than i got an 808 and sold the tempest. Never looked back.

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 am

Tempest owners and users: Can anyone speak to the brightness of the blue LEDs on this machine? Is it piercing?

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:49 pm

D_Bowman wrote:Tempest owners and users: Can anyone speak to the brightness of the blue LEDs on this machine? Is it piercing?
No, definitely not piercing, by any means.

D_Bowman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D_Bowman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
D_Bowman wrote:Tempest owners and users: Can anyone speak to the brightness of the blue LEDs on this machine? Is it piercing?
No, definitely not piercing, by any means.
Thanks for the reply. I remember hearing some criticism of DSI's Poly Evolver's blue LEDs being bright, and it's a pet peeve of mine! Can't stand it.

Leviathant
Common Wiggler

Post by Leviathant » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:26 pm

Confirming what you just said: the blue LEDs on my Poly Evolver are super annoying, and I've used a cut-up piece of lighting gel to reduce their brightness.

The LEDs on the Tempest are fine.

goonlord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goonlord » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Is anyone using a Tempest in tandem with a Eurorack modular? I am curious as to what your workflow is.

As it stands, my Tempest is my only piece of hardware, so naturally I am wondering if it will play nicely with my incoming modular. Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers! :nana:

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Tempest being used from a common clock source with the modular here. MIDI to Tempest and to Kenton Pro 2000 –> Trigger Riot via DIN sync.

No further control interaction. If impulse/rimshot-style triggering is possible, and I don't see why it wouldn't be, would be a real waste of a voice and output in this case.

Love the Tempest, for all its flaws – will never sell it. :)

goonlord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goonlord » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:28 pm

I too love the Tempest, flaws and all. I was a relatively late adopter, so a lot of feature requests (like free running LFOs) were already fulfilled. I could totally see why many early adopters opted to get rid of it, since it was released as a "work-in-progress."

To be honest, I was quite intent on sequencing my modular with the Tempest, but I think you're right; MIDI sequencing would be a waste of a voice! I suppose I'll just save up for a dedicated sequencer for my skiff...

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 am

goonlord wrote:I too love the Tempest, flaws and all. I was a relatively late adopter, so a lot of feature requests (like free running LFOs) were already fulfilled. I could totally see why many early adopters opted to get rid of it, since it was released as a "work-in-progress."

To be honest, I was quite intent on sequencing my modular with the Tempest, but I think you're right; MIDI sequencing would be a waste of a voice! I suppose I'll just save up for a dedicated sequencer for my skiff...
You hardly need to save much as something like the Beatstep Pro works really well for this.

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 am

stikygum wrote:You hardly need to save much as something like the Beatstep Pro works really well for this.
Good call.

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 am

stikygum wrote:You hardly need to save much as something like the Beatstep Pro works really well for this.
Good call.

Rade
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rade » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:00 am

Tempest and Moog are friends

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 am

sold it in 2 months, seemed so obvious and never deep enough to me. 'hipster' kind of a synth/drum machine

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 am

I couldnt get it to play nice with any sequencer
stupid memory , big bugs
it was released as a "work-in-progress."
Seems that is becoming a pattern in the gear world. I guess it's a relic from the last decade when plug-ins nearly destroyed the market for hardware synths/drum machines and companies got desperate to continue with the profits they were used to, so they started some serious cost-cutting... Even today the spec of most MIDI hardware is stuck in the 90s.

Return to “General Gear”