Synth reductionism..or less is less

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Synth reductionism..or less is less

Post by DeanG » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:36 am

In the last 5 years I have gone from this..
h0lfkflusx8ndvglfgzq.jpg
to this..
20201228_230022.jpg
And I find I am happier with this little synth.

Anyone else in a similar frame of mind?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

revtor
Dialing it in..

Re: Synth reductionism..or less is less

Post by revtor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 am

I dunno, 5 years is a long time. “In 5 years..? So you sold one module every 3 months until you were left with just the bottom pic mini rig? Or was the shift actually in one month?

I go through phases like that over many years in scope of my gear.. and my interest in making music is on a higher frequency cycle.. so I end up with different intersection points of gear list and gear usage intensity as months go by.

A system focused on what I want to enjoy at the time is always the best! Easy to accumulate odd things and maybe half baked ideas crop up and it is definitely nice to clear that out every now and then, reimagine or rebuild the perfect setup for the current mental/physical/emotional space you occupy.

Whenever I can sit down for a few hours to play I always enjoy it!!
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:11 am

I’m reducing now, but never that low
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:15 am

I frankly lack the skill and talent to not have loads of gear.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:25 am

I listened to some of your soundcloud and it's impressive what you're doing with such a limited setup. I would just say that it is a bit restrictive as far as timbre goes, but you're definitely creating your own musical space. Great work.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:05 am

Hey thanks for the encouraging words, much appreciated.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:46 am

I find this place frustrating. It seems that lots of people just like to buy more gear and then move on to thinking about the next module to buy. I would wager most people who have a set up of some kind could use it to make interesting music. Sure, gear matters, but just buying as much as possible to throw it on the pile seems like a recipe for feeling dissatisfied.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:51 am

grizzleb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:46 am
I find this place frustrating. It seems that lots of people just like to buy more gear and then move on to thinking about the next module to buy. I would wager most people who have a set up of some kind could use it to make interesting music. Sure, gear matters, but just buying as much as possible to throw it on the pile seems like a recipe for feeling dissatisfied.
Check out the Your Tunes Here subforum or the links in people’s signatures, there’s plenty of music going on alongside the gear fetishism.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:14 am

Don’t let it frustrate you. Some people have ways that may be closer to yours, some people tend the other way. 24bits worth of resolution on that scale.
Someone clearing out and feeling good about it is a positive thing. Someone really excited about their newest acquisition of the month is a positive thing too.!
Modular by its nature means buying many smaller parts. So yeah, the behavior of the community directly stems from that essential truth. And human nature “OOOH SHINY” factors in there somewhere too..?

Go to GearSlutz to hang with the unabashedly slutty GAS addicts!!
Steve
Last edited by revtor on Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:18 am

grizzleb wrote:
yes, people discuss synthesizers and buying synthesizers on a synthesizer forum. i think your missing everything in between. i’d say most people here aren’t just trying to buy as much gear as possible. i personally cycle thru gear pretty often. its a personal choice as i like to try out everything i can because its fun. some stuff lasts and other stuff gets put back into the market. needless to say im pretty proficient with many synthesis types, most manufacturers menu systems and worklfow.
TOO FAR GONE

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:42 am

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:15 am
I frankly lack the skill and talent to not have loads of gear.
:yay:

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:45 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:18 am
grizzleb wrote:
yes, people discuss synthesizers and buying synthesizers on a synthesizer forum. i think your missing everything in between. i’d say most people here aren’t just trying to buy as much gear as possible. i personally cycle thru gear pretty often. its a personal choice as i like to try out everything i can because its fun. some stuff lasts and other stuff gets put back into the market. needless to say im pretty proficient with many synthesis types, most manufacturers menu systems and worklfow.
The tech is still evolving and it’s a blast to try out some of this stuff. I get overwhelmed and sell off stuff. The most amazing point is that you can do this with very little cost if patient.So while I do love to strip down my setup sometimes, I really can’t find a better use of my money!

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:18 am
grizzleb wrote:
I was just talking about a particular tendency I notice on here, people filling racks with a million of everything and complaining about the stuff they don't have. Its obviously not the full picture but I think it's there and worth pointing out

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:08 am

grizzleb wrote:

One of the most exciting ideas I’ve had in my musical career is to buy something, and then enjoy it, before jumping into the next purchase. It’s made me much more productive, and honestly much happier, and a lot less overwhelmed.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:10 am

You mean buy stuff, use it and get as much out of it as you can and then sell it on to replace it with something else? Yeah i think that sounds like the best way to go about it personally.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:47 am

grizzleb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:10 am
You mean buy stuff, use it and get as much out of it as you can and then sell it on to replace it with something else? Yeah i think that sounds like the best way to go about it personally.
I don’t usually sell anything, unless I really don’t like it. I’ve only sold a few things off in the past. I feel I have a system now that can grow with me as a synthesist, a composer, and a musician. But it’s taken 30 years to get to that point. Yes my system is big, but now it’s a system I know well.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:54 am

3hands wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:47 am
grizzleb wrote:
I don’t usually sell anything, unless I really don’t like it. I’ve only sold a few things off in the past. I feel I have a system now that can grow with me as a synthesist, a composer, and a musician. But it’s taken 30 years to get to that point. Yes my system is big, but now it’s a system I know well.
a lot of us try out many different pieces of gear. the difference is some keep it all while some pass it on. I was just commenting on another forum that at some point you want to know the difference between a tape echo, bucket brigade, digital (12 bit vs. 24 bit), etc... without experiencing for yourself, its hard to appreciate the differences, and that doesnt even go into how manufactures implement things. others are happy to just experiment with software. but even then, just cause you dont see the collection, its hidden in a computer. Ha!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:31 am

if money and space wasn’t an issue i’d keep everything (like, duh). outside of a few absolute keepers i tend to move things around depending on what im interested in at the moment. for example, i dont have anything by elektron. dont get me wrong...i love elektron. the workflow is super fun and great for certain things, but its not really suited for what im working on right now and thats ok because i can replace it with something else. and if people wanna buy everything just to have it, i fully support that notion too because gear is so sick.
TOO FAR GONE

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 pm

grizzleb wrote:
I didn't get into modular (or synths) to make interesting music.

I got into it to learn stuff, accompanied by noise.

I have no idea what I'm doing, and it's amazing :miley: :goo: :sb:

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 pm

taken to its absurdity, if everyone gets rid of all our stuff, how are we going to solve any issues of how to use a piece of gear? unless we want to talk about a Modal Craft synth or Pocket Operators? And what do we do with all the cables we have collected?

fatbenelton
Common Wiggler

Post by fatbenelton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:56 pm

I agree in principle that too much gear can be counter productive but it’s horses for courses as they say. In my particular case, I think I look at new gear to mask my lack of talent and creativity!! All joking aside, there is probably a lot to be said for getting to know a more limited set of gear really, really well and to know how to programme it and get every ounce from it!

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:06 pm

fatbenelton wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:56 pm
I agree in principle that too much gear can be counter productive but it’s horses for courses as they say. In my particular case, I think I look at new gear to mask my lack of talent and creativity!! All joking aside, there is probably a lot to be said for getting to know a more limited set of gear really, really well and to know how to programme it and get every ounce from it!
i totally agree too. sometimes boredom gets the best of me. but i self-correct quickly and sell off unnecessary pieces. I only keep the stuff that has inspired me at some point. I have a feeling thats true for many. And again, software has the same issue. And a few collectors is okay in the scheme of life, I wouldnt read too much into that.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 pm

grizzleb wrote:
Seems like someone is.. fixating on the gear rather than the music you can make with it? ;)

Seriously, especially with modular, little bits coming in and out of your system is part of the weather. It's how you find out what works for you but also, the world doesn't stop inventing better mouse traps just because you worked out how to use the old one. Modular gear in particular holds its value relatively well, so people tend to buy a sell a lot of bits rather than just accumulating a huge dragon hoard.

Meantime you keep the things that you use a lot, track down the things that you think would work for you. If something looked good on paper but fails to spark joy long-term, maybe it's not for you- but it might be for someone else. Sometimes no amount of reviews, hype videos and second-hand opinions can answer the question and you need to get hands-on with something to work out if it's something you'd get on with.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grizzleb
Common Wiggler

Post by grizzleb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:19 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:13 pm
grizzleb wrote:
Seems like someone is.. fixating on the gear rather than the music you can make with it? ;)
You've got me this time

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pm

grizzleb wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:19 pm
You've got me this time
Couldn't resist.

Return to “General Gear”