Modor DR-2 digital drum machine...

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Modor DR-2 digital drum machine...

Post by pmboos » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Hey, here's a stupid Q - I know the DR-2 can play it's generated sounds in reverse. How many other machines beyond the Sequential Tom can do this? I'm just curious. (How the DR-2 does it sounds way more complicated than what the Tom was doing...)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:04 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:43 pm
Can you have a ride and a hi-hat together though in a drum set? I don't think you can, which is a huge shortcoming for a drum machine in my opinion.
Each voice has an alpha and beta track in the sequencer that choke each other with a user selectable parameter that can have two different values.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 pm

rohelineoun wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:04 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Can you have a ride and a hi-hat together though in a drum set? I don't think you can, which is a huge shortcoming for a drum machine in my opinion.
Each voice has an alpha and beta track in the sequencer that choke each other with a user selectable parameter that can have two different values.
I get that, but what it seems to me is that the alpha and beta track can only be, for example, alpha and beta hihats OR alpha and beta ride, because basically the beta is changing one of the X,Y,Z or T parameters, which are different for each of the drum models. The model for the hihat is different to the model for the ride according to the manual. The only common variable is Z, the spectral content of the cymbal noise. So unless I'm mistaken you can't have the alpha being a hihat and the beta being a ride.

NewNewRon
Common Wiggler

Post by NewNewRon » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:50 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:35 pm
kink always seems way too eager for my blood
I can't listen because I can't watch him. Thankfully, nothing I heard was anything I'd worry about missing.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:15 pm

dubonaire wrote:
maybe im wrong, but i think you can configure the 6 parts of a drum set with whatever models you want.

this sounds promising.....
Future firmware upgrades will include new drum models.
TOO FAR GONE

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:29 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 pm
I get that, but what it seems to me is that the alpha and beta track can only be, for example, alpha and beta hihats OR alpha and beta ride, because basically the beta is changing one of the X,Y,Z or T parameters, which are different for each of the drum models. The model for the hihat is different to the model for the ride according to the manual. The only common variable is Z, the spectral content of the cymbal noise. So unless I'm mistaken you can't have the alpha being a hihat and the beta being a ride.

The Amp Decay is also available for the alpha/beta sequencing.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:35 pm

NewNewRon wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:50 pm
I can't listen because I can't watch him. Thankfully, nothing I heard was anything I'd worry about missing.
you don’t listen with your eyes bruh its all good

👽
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:00 am

rohelineoun wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:29 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:24 pm

They are different models. You can only load one model. So you can only load Hihat or Ride or Crash in that channel.

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:25 am

pmboos wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 pm
Hey, here's a stupid Q - I know the DR-2 can play it's generated sounds in reverse. How many other machines beyond the Sequential Tom can do this? I'm just curious. (How the DR-2 does it sounds way more complicated than what the Tom was doing...)
Every drum machine with sampleur in fact like te Mduw :)
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:00 am
rohelineoun wrote:

They are different models. You can only load one model. So you can only load Hihat or Ride or Crash in that channel.
I think perhaps we're each trying to make a different point? By my reading of the manual, you can assign a model, for this example hihats, to voice F. Then using the alpha and the beta sequences, program two versions of the same voice with different Amp Decay values, one short and one long, with the two sequences creating a traditional choked closed open hihat pair.

rohelineoun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rohelineoun » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:41 am

pmboos wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 pm
I believe it's just a matter of reversing the envelope. Since the envelope can be paired to more than just amplitude, it can make for some more complex sounds.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:16 am

Sounds great to my ears , but I think the price is optimistic, to put it mildly.

As much as I love the MD , I hated it hammering sound, kinda gave me a headache after a while. I did tend to favour the FM engines though. I gave up with elektron , super intuitive machines for me at least , but never used them in tracks much.

Much happier with the Nord drum sound , this sounds good , but to spend more than £1500 it has to be one hell of a drum machine for me.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:27 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:16 am
Sounds great to my ears , but I think the price is optimistic, to put it mildly.

As much as I love the MD , I hated it hammering sound, kinda gave me a headache after a while. I did tend to favour the FM engines though. I gave up with elektron , super intuitive machines for me at least , but never used them in tracks much.

Much happier with the Nord drum sound , this sounds good , but to spend more than £1500 it has to be one hell of a drum machine for me.
I love my MD and use it enough but my TR8S has been doing most of the heavy lifting lately. slightly considering putting it on the chopping block to grip this. definitely need to see some workflow videos, for all i know the sequencer could be its major achilles tendon.....besides its enormous price-tag.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:31 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:16 am
ive never pulled the trigger on the ND because it lacks individual outputs. not sure why they continue to do that. i have the nord lead 2 and love the drum kits on it. the multitimberal nature of the NL2 paired with four mono outputs makes it very capable for most drum duties.
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOO FAR GONE

MrShifter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MrShifter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am

Haaa, same :)

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm

MrShifter wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am
not even trying to be a hater. if i got paid we he gets paid to play big room tech house i’d be super eager all the time too.
TOO FAR GONE

MrShifter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MrShifter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Fair play, can't say I would myself, don't think I'll be investing £1500 into one of these :)

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:26 pm

Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm
MrShifter wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:04 am
not even trying to be a hater. if i got paid we he gets paid to play big room tech house i’d be super eager all the time too.
I’m personally not into his music but find his enthusiasm pretty authentic and also comes across like that (generally more relaxed obviously) behind the scenes.

Wonder how Modor got him to do the demo ant probably some beta testing, he must have been a customer already.
Gaun Yersel!

kragg
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kragg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Pyrrhix wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:08 pm
Personally, I think this machine has the perfect combination of an underwhelming sound and excessive price.
This made me the same impression...
:despair:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:26 pm
Wonder how Modor got him to do the demo ant probably some beta testing, he must have been a customer already.
it probably wasn’t too hard. he’s a gear head and they made a splash with the NF-1 so im sure it wasn’t very difficult. also, with the pandemic he might be a little hard pressed to find work since clubs are basically closed worldwide.
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 pm

rohelineoun wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am
dubonaire wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:00 am
rohelineoun wrote:

I think perhaps we're each trying to make a different point? By my reading of the manual, you can assign a model, for this example hihats, to voice F. Then using the alpha and the beta sequences, program two versions of the same voice with different Amp Decay values, one short and one long, with the two sequences creating a traditional choked closed open hihat pair.
Yes you can, what I was saying is you can't have a ride and a hihat in the same sequence.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:39 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 pm
Yes you can, what I was saying is you can't have a ride and a hihat in the same sequence.
i think you can. according to the manual, the hihats and ride/crash are separate models.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:02 pm

even if they weren’t separate models im pretty sure you can put as many of whatever model you want in the 6 dedicated drum slots. i’ve had my machinedrum as a strictly hi-hat machine for months on end before.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:43 pm
what, is he a fucking vampire or something?
A42CCEED-D165-4BE3-B0A7-A0007B2DCE46.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”