Digital modular synth in a box?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

GhostofAlgernon
Common Wiggler

Re: Digital modular synth in a box?

Post by GhostofAlgernon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 pm

The Arturia Origin would have been a great option if they had stuck with it, fixed bugs/reliability problems, and continued to update it ...

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... in-desktop
---------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/les-mizzell

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:39 pm

GhostofAlgernon wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 pm
There was a synth introduced a couple of years ago. that was basically a computer that had a hardware interface that emulated a semi-modular.
You're speaking of the Mungo State Zero, yes?
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010 ... nthesizer/

as i recall, it was never actually officially released, and the proposed price was something like $10,000

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:44 pm

Radikal Spectralis. More VCAs in there than many real modular systems. Plus the UI is minimal and the menus so deep that you'll feel like you really accomplished something when you create a patch. Lol

On the plus side, analog and digital filters, fixed filter bank, can have user samples as oscillators, very well spec'd step sequencer, MIDI, and more

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:50 pm

oldgearguy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Radikal Spectralis. More VCAs in there than many real modular systems. Plus the UI is minimal and the menus so deep that you'll feel like you really accomplished something when you create a patch. Lol

On the plus side, analog and digital filters, fixed filter bank, can have user samples as oscillators, very well spec'd step sequencer, MIDI, and more
I remember feeling like I had accomplished something by actually turning the knobs enough times to reach the end of some of the menus. Pretty horrible ui, as I recall.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:00 pm

flabby wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:26 pm
Percussa SSP?
Haven’t owned one but looks great.

https://www.percussa.com/
Percussa SSP probably the most accurate answer to this question that doesn't require a computer. it is a modular in a box with lot's of power and endless abilities.

also as mentioned the ER-301 s a modular in a module. very deep and possible to build anything in there.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:21 pm

GhostofAlgernon wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 pm
ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 pm
There was a synth introduced a couple of years ago. that was basically a computer that had a hardware interface that emulated a semi-modular.
You're speaking of the Mungo State Zero, yes?
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010 ... nthesizer/
Yes. That was the one I remember. Patch knob memory was not unique, bit the patch's AND patch cords being remembered WAS and still is unique. I know of no synth that currently does it. I see they still have an active website and even make Eurorack modules now. I wonder how many State Zero units they have sold?
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Roland aira modules. Demora scooper bitrazer and torcido.
6 submodules for each module
and endless stacking patchpoints.
31 modules to choose from.
Presets can be saved as wav

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Yes the Aira stuff like Scooper is really interesting. Needs to be configured in the app, but has a ton of modules, you can have say, multiple lfos, filters, vca's etc. I had a setup with system 1m plus scooper and really wonder why I sold it, the sys1m had a nice sound. They're discontinued and certain ones like dcooper and demora can be hard to find for sale, last time I looked.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:54 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:21 pm
Yes. That was the one I remember. Patch knob memory was not unique, bit the patch's AND patch cords being remembered WAS and still is unique. I know of no synth that currently does it. I see they still have an active website and even make Eurorack modules now. I wonder how many State Zero units they have sold?
I thought you meant Mayer M800 Poly. Spent like 40 min trying to remember the name :bang:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:49 am

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:41 am

Another option, has Modal's Skulpt been mentioned? Seems to have a lot in common with Evolver desktop. I am thinking of going with that myself to add to my Craftsynth 2.0. Skulpt has 8 mod source that each can go to any eight of 37 destinations. 256 step sequencer with 4 lanes of parameter locks ..if I understand it correctly. A somewhat bizzare panel interface, but well sorted app for tablet control. Like the CS2.0, seems a lot of synth for little money. 32 oscillators divided between 4 voices.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

dreamrobe
Common Wiggler

Post by dreamrobe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:36 am

empress euroburo checks all your boxes. don't let yourself fool you that it has only 1 encoder. I had the Zoia for some time and was worried about lack of input options. but it all makes sense easily when it is in front of you.
the cool thing is that it fits was you already might have. need another lfo,oscilatot, reverb, delay, cv looper? just add the module or use an existing external module.

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:32 am

IPad + MiRack!
Kymátika studio | facebook | soundcloud
Recording - mixing - mastering

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:01 am

geecen wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:54 am
Kattefjaes wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:32 am
geecen wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 am

Definitely good ideas, and maybe a dedicated computer setup is the way to go. I think a nice interface makes such a difference, especially when you look at computers all day and don't fancy looking at one again in the evening! Something even just with the axoloti's functionality and power, but that I could edit through menus and a screen on the device would be great.

I'll look into the mod duo.
I absolutely sympathise with the thinking behind the question- I love not having babysit more bloody computers too. I love being able to fire up my modular and only involve the computer if I want to start recording (my soundcard sounds so nice that I couldn't really bear to go back to a cheap Zoom recorder).

I'm hoping your question will flush out some more interesting answers, honestly. I could find something like the machine you're after tempting, if the price was sensible.
One thing that might hit the spot coming on the horizon is the nerdseq poertable. With all the table modulation, probability and groove control to get off grid it looks to be pretty flexible. We'll have to wait and see on that one.
Nerdseq is great, but groove control for getting off the grid is not one of its (many) strengths. If you want any control over groove or shuffle you need to use an external clock. There is a per step 'groove' column in the patterns but the granularity is in 6ths of a step, which really isn't fine enough for any subtlety. It's either a heavy shuffle or nothing.
This is OK for Eurorack, where patching an external clock is not a major issue, but might be less simple for a stand alone. It's possible that the portable will have an upgraded clock resolution, who knows!

Return to “General Gear”