Digital modular synth in a box?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Digital modular synth in a box?

Post by Tajnost » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:53 am

KYMA

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:22 pm

DSI Evolver.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Endorfinity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Endorfinity » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Also, it is possible to patch entirely on the synth's panel controls without using a mouse (at least on the G2, not sure about the original NM). I knew a guy who had bad carpel tunnel for a while and he did all of his patching via the front panel controls because he couldn't use a mouse. You can add modules to a patch, connect patch cords, etc. Everything you could do with a mouse.
No it's not. Tweaking parameters and morph groups, sure.

You can't modify structure of the patch standalone.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Endorfinity wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Aah, you're right. Once the modules are in a patch and connected, you can step through every parameter in every module in a patch using the panel's 'navigator' buttons, and then adjust each parameter from the panel encoders, but you need to use the editor to drag modules into the patch & patch them together in the first place.

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:07 am

something running AUTOMATONISM

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:13 am

Poly Digit/Beebo !

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 am

iPad and miRack.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:36 pm
Endorfinity wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:43 pm

Aah, you're right. Once the modules are in a patch and connected, you can step through every parameter in every module in a patch using the panel's 'navigator' buttons, and then adjust each parameter from the panel encoders, but you need to use the editor to drag modules into the patch & patch them together in the first place.
Or make a pitch with LOTS of switches in it. One large switch array for every input and output of as many modules as you could. You could of course restrict them to most common sources and destinations, making a semi-modular, but still that would be a lot of switches.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:45 pm

At some point it is easier to buy a bunch of Axoloti or AKSO boards and make a semi modular out of them/ program them to do sets of modules and not reprogram them. Bring out the pots/switches/etc. needed to connect them. At under $100 each, you could get a bunch of them for the cost of a used Nord.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Nord Micro with a MIDIFighters "Twister". Beautifully wedded together.

The thing with the blue LEDs is the Twister. Add a Kenton USB/MIDI host and no computer is required to use the Nord Micro with the MIDIFighters Twister. 16 "button knob" encoders, with four pages of that (total 64 button knob encoders). Tons of setup preferences for the Twister. The Nord and the Twister both require a computer to create their patches/setups/etc, but once that is done, you're done with computer fiddling.
MIDI Fighters - Twister - 3D - 1.jpg
This video provides a fair look at how the Twister can be configured ... it's worth the few minutes out of your life to view it.

No, I am not affiliated with MIDIFighters nor am I selling one ... (but I am selling a Nord Micro, full disclosure).

:tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

crumb dinger
Common Wiggler

Post by crumb dinger » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:15 pm

ER 301? No built-in midi functionality but it's easily the best digital patching experience I've ever had.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 pm

I haven't experience with one, but I asked a similar question a couple years ago and had a few suggestions of DSI Evolver. I was trying to escape patch cords at the time. The matrix interface scared me off a bit, but looking back I am sure I could have learned it.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Percussa SSP?
Haven’t owned one but looks great.

https://www.percussa.com/

geecen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by geecen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Evolver does seem cool. Maybe I need to try and fit a screen to my axoloti or get some kind of midi controller with a screen that can display data. Hmm.

SteeVtheRipper
Common Wiggler

Post by SteeVtheRipper » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Yeah I was going to suggest Hydrasynth as well. LFOS can be used as basic sequencers for anything at whatever speed you desire. Also accepts CV as modulation.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:59 am

Korg Kronos ?

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:11 am

The Microfreak is surprisingly capable in this department, especially for the price and size - the mod matrix looks fairly small compared to some others, but the three assignable targets have some interesting destination possibilities, and having key/arp as a modulation source expands on this. Plus you've got a cycling envelope and a number of modular-inspired/sourced sound modes.

You'd have to overlook the analogue filter if you were determined to have a fully digital device but, still, I think there's some really interesting potential in there.

I think there are a few similar instances of seemingly quite limited devices having hidden depths - I've seen some impressive videos of the Model:Cycles being stretched in semi-modular directions through thoughtful application & combination of features. But with the Microfreak this is more explicitly designed into the unit. The matrix can be a hassle, but I guess that's the nature of the beast unless you're paying out Matrixbrute money...

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I have been getting more comfortable with the Modal Craftsynth 2.0, and actually it is very interesting in its modulation ability if one is ok with using the Modalapp software, which is really well done. Eight modulation sources can each modulate any one of almost everythinging else. And it has a good sound. Interconnectivity is limited to midi and sync in/out. I use a Sonuus gm2 pitch to midi device to bring in external audio influence, and of course cv->midi and midi->cv converters are available. The more I use it the more I think it is a lot like what you might be looking for in a really tiny box. Like the Microfreak mention, it's a low priced option.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:46 am

Not sure how you would do an actual modular in a box with actual hardware controls, somehow you will need to patch things together and map the controls. That really hard to accomplish in a generic physical ui.
A synth with a good modulation matrix is not really modular, but probably the closest you get without a computer.

If you can imagine doing setup with the computer and then use a hardware controller for your patches, I would say best digital modular is Scope:
https://scope.zone/
Has DSP chips, so you can have a dedicated computer without much power to configure you patches and do your controller mappings.
Been using Scope for over 20 years now, and it has its quirks, but still today the sound quality is unmatched by any VST or digital modular I have tried, and the modular system is incredibly powerful.

makrel
Common Wiggler

Post by makrel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:54 am

:agree:

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:19 pm

I think a Kyma is the best sounding digital but like Scope mentioned above you need a computer to edit. However using the multigrid you can set up a complex set of multiple patches and then interact for hours at a time without a computer. Add a Motormix controller and it’s a dream setup.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:37 pm

it's true that to be truly a 'modular' synth requires more than just tons of modulation routings. But then we get to answering the op's question, and usually when people ask this question they are less interested in something technically being modular, but in a synth with tons of modulation settings, with lots of flexibility in the sources/destinations.

In addition, I think that usually when this question is asked, the person isn't so much interested in some of the choices that are technically modular, but require much more in the way of programming abilities. Max/MSP, Kyma, and some others that have been evoked here are truly modular, but the skill set required, and the learning curve, go well beyond that required to learn a traditional analog modular synth.

it's interesting to address this tension between the modes of answering the question. For instance, some choices (Dave Smith stuff, hydrasynth, and some others) seem to satisfy the question in their wealth of modulation capabilties, but are less flexible than a true modular when it comes down to selecting and reordering individual components, etc. And then, obviously if the questioner is willing to learn a much more comprehensive skill set, then stuff like max/msp or kyma become real alternatives.

My guess is that what is really wanted is a synth with tons of flexibile modulation, and as much 'true modular' capability as is possible without getting an actual modular, and without really learning to program in a language, graphical or not.

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Unfortunately I haven't tried Kyma, so you might be right there gosh.

I'm using a Behringer BCR2000 to control my scope system, and it is just endless fun. Just put together a custom sequencer in scope where I can tweak the patch to get just the right slide, accents or randomization I want and control it hands on with visual feedback on my BCR. Digital modular systems can be fantastic like that when they provide a vast number of modules and power to run many of them, allowing you to build things near circuit level to just suit your needs without needing any actual engineering skills.

Spindrift
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spindrift » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:37 pm
it's true that to be truly a 'modular' synth requires more than just tons of modulation routings.
I think so. A synth is not modular because it can send an osc to control cutoff. What if you actually want 5 filters of different types, 2 affecting the mid channel only, 1 before the VCA and 2 after? With a modular you can do that with the right modules, with a synth you can't no matter how complex modulation matrix it has. Some digital synths have many parts interchangeable, and perhaps going strictly on the definition of the word modular they are. However I would not call a synth modular because it comes with a bunch of different filter types and OSCs in a preconfigured arrangement.

But the question is what you want to get out of it of course, and perhaps Scope or Kyma might not be for OP. Like I said, thank kind of modularity it becomes unavoidable with a large screen and mouse/keyboard. And perhaps it is more for the kind of user that thinks that hardware modular are limiting in some areas, or if you really want a way to be able to save/recall patches.

GhostofAlgernon
Common Wiggler

Post by GhostofAlgernon » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 pm
There was a synth introduced a couple of years ago. that was basically a computer that had a hardware interface that emulated a semi-modular.
You're speaking of the Mungo State Zero, yes?
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010 ... nthesizer/

---------------------------------------------------
https://soundcloud.com/les-mizzell

Return to “General Gear”