Dreadbox - Typhon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

cairnan
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Dreadbox - Typhon

Post by cairnan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:35 am

I feel the full sweep (especially near the top) has some sonic behavior that bothers me, but again, this might just be part of how Dreadbox does their signature filters (I know the Erebus filter is quite 'raw'). When it comes to analog purchases, I'd rather have imperfect and interesting than technically perfect. That's what the soft synths are for.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 am

Dreadbox in Mandalorian voice: "This is the way"
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

cairnan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cairnan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:43 am

pmboos wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 am
Dreadbox in Mandalorian voice: "This is the way"
:tu:

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:59 am

cairnan wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:35 am
I feel the full sweep (especially near the top) has some sonic behavior that bothers me, but again, this might just be part of how Dreadbox does their signature filters (I know the Erebus filter is quite 'raw'). When it comes to analog purchases, I'd rather have imperfect and interesting than technically perfect. That's what the soft synths are for.
You can't reduce the resonance to zero on the filter of the Erebus V3. At first that bothered the hell out of me, I was wondering if my unit was faulty. Being reassured that it do be like that was all I needed though- as it's a lovely-sounding bit of kit from a company that puts a lot of thought into deceptively capable synths. Yes, it's quirky but it does feel like it's a purposefully designed quirky rather than the result of slapdash build- an important distinction.

They have flavour.

cairnan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cairnan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:01 am

Agreed. Everything about the Dreadbox synths feels very deliberate. Like all great things, they're the result of a particular view / execution; they don't try to be everything and end up bland.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:13 pm

Well this has been a slow start because I assumed it was shipped with the latest update because they were thin on the ground. Just updated , this has gone from being a cool synth to superb one for the money , the manager app is great , be fantastic if we could get it on iOS.

The filter really is lovely and the UI is a breeze , what a superbly executed little box. My cables just happen to match it perfectly too!
879B4AAF-2058-46C4-BA42-A1A14167D7B6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Why am I getting usb hum with my iPad ? I have the typhon running from a power bank, hmm.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 am

Oh well the answer was because I had both devices on same power bank , I used a different one and the noise was gone.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:51 pm

We proudly announce a super limited edition of the amazing Dreadbox Typhon. What's so special about it?
This edition offers you Bank D with 64 new, gloomy sounds curated by Dimitris Pavlidis, the man behind the synth-shop Synthesizer.gr and the band Selofan plus a fantastic new design in black and copper colour!
we hope you enjoy this ride on the dark side of sound!

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 pm

thats really cool. Selofan is great.

WeepWow
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WeepWow » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:37 pm

Love the Typhon so far, bought it used, a few days on, with Firmware 3 in it.

Question: can someone tell me best way to hook these up, (Im old but havent used MIDI in ages, due to switching mostly to Modular and DAW, now retreating a bit from Euro since I discovered these great self-contained synth hardware boxes that give you so much bang for your $$ vs. eurorack:
Basically-
I want to hook these in sync with MIDI: (using the modulations and transpositions from the Best source, probably Keystep?): Keystep, Typhon, 4 Volcas- with Volca Drum as my drums, (also have Machinedrum / Analog Rytm-2 and 3 other Elektrons not concerned in this experiment), plus Moog Subharmonicon, Zoia, and then Eurorack for some FX, but not that important. Then record to Ableton DAW tracks as audio for now---- Thanks.

PS. Does anyone have a suggestion getting a 2nd Typhon vs. another similar box that is different but priced around the Typhon. These are all new to me, I am backtracking on the technology a bit...

Return to “General Gear”