Dreadbox - Typhon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Re: Dreadbox - Typhon

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:15 pm

didn't reread the whole thread - I've tried sending notes from another sequencer, which are supposed to act as a transpose according to the manual. It crashes my typhon every time. Have others experienced this? (used the schrittmacher, but i'm not sure what would make it different than anything else)

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:12 pm

It’s nice being able to use the internal sequencer, locked in sync with the Octatrack, with its own internal swing just jamming along:

I also love how you can restart/offset the sequencer based on the set division size. I wish other gear with internal sequencers had this “armed sync” functionality:

renderful
Common Wiggler

Post by renderful » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:15 pm
didn't reread the whole thread - I've tried sending notes from another sequencer, which are supposed to act as a transpose according to the manual. It crashes my typhon every time. Have others experienced this? (used the schrittmacher, but i'm not sure what would make it different than anything else)
This worked fine for me from my Launchpad Pro Mk3 on 2.0.1, but I haven't tried it on 2.0.2 yet.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:48 pm

renderful wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:15 pm
This worked fine for me from my Launchpad Pro Mk3 on 2.0.1, but I haven't tried it on 2.0.2 yet.
interesting. i wonder what is happening. i haven't updated yet, so i guess i'm on 2.0.1

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:04 pm

a funk bass demonstration for anyone who might be interested in that kind of sound:

brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:35 pm

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:50 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:38 pm
cool. will check this out immediately. by the way, the link just leads back to your post.
try a different browser - it's a link directly to the firmware file to download

edit: andddd.. after trying to hold off, fuck it. ordered a typhon.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:26 pm

actually, i noticed afterwards that i had actually downloaded the firmware multiple times. So yeah - missed that.

brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:45 pm

Hrm, I just tried it out and it up and downloads it without so much as one of those "really download this?" dialogs, at least in Firefox. Weird. Sorry for the confusion.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:04 pm

is there a list of the new modulation destinations?

edit: just saw it in the downloaded pdf

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:15 pm

sorry for the formatting. it's in the pdf, which you can download.

3. New features manual
3.1 Modulator destinations (DEST) and Custom targets :
CV Pitch of both VCO
CV1 Pitch of VCO 1
CV2 Pitch of VCO 2
WAVE Waveform of oscillators (as shown on the WAVE knob)
CUT Filter cut off
VCA AMP level
FX1 FX1 MIX amount
FFM Filter FM amount
FX2 FX2 MIX amount
FX3 FX3 MIX amount
1._ _ _ Custom target 1
2._ _ _ Custom target 2
3._ _ _ Custom target 3
The last three targets are called Custom targets, as they are chosen from a list.
There are two ways to access this list:
1. while you are on the custom target that you want to change you press and hold the shift button
(that is the button next to the sliders). That will pop up a menu , where you have to choose the
parameter you want to affect.
2. Go to MENU (encoder down) -- 1. CUSTOM TARGETS -- then choose the modulator you want
to alter --and the custom target number.
3.2 SCREEN SAVER
This is used to set the screen in an OFF state, when it’s not in use so as to extend its life. We
strongly suggest to have it engaged, even on the 10 minute circle. Time starts counting from the
moment the screen (NOT the synth) is left inactive. When the set time passes with no changes, the
screen will turn black and you can exit this mode with one of the following ways:
- Turn or push the encoder
- Hit the SHIFT button
- Apply any change to the screen. Note that if you have the sliders on grab mode, the screen will
not go ON until a change to the values is applied.
3.3 Shortcuts and hidden functions
1. On preset save : You can hold down “shift” button (the button next to the sliders) to delete all
characters. You can click once the “shift”button to delete the selected character
2. Modulators custom target selection : while you are on the custom target that you want to
change you press and hold the shift button. That will pop up a menu , where you have to choose
the parameter you want to affect.
3. Menu modulations ( Mod wheel, Velocity, Aftertouch, Key track, CC2) You can hit the SHIFT
button to set the selected parameter, or all the parameters to 0 (if you are in the list page)
4. Note Sequencer record: Press the SQNCR button to enter the sequencer edit page. Now press
and hold the encoder for 2 seconds. The word RECORD will appear on the lower right of the
screen.
5. Note Sequencer step copy: Press the SQNCR button to enter the sequencer edit page. Hit
down the encoder. A message “COPIED” will appear at the bottom right of the screen. Select
another step. Then push the encoder down again. The original step is now copied to the selected
one.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Hey question, I haven't gotten a chance to an upgrade (still have 1.1); anyone know if you can jump straight to 3.0 or do I need to incrementally go through each one?
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

kaffeetrinken
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaffeetrinken » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:24 pm

just go straight to 3 — most firmware updates will flash the complete memory and will work that way (skipping versions) …

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:25 am

Thanks! I super appreciate the follow-up and passing this along. This may be the best value synth I have ever bought...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Anybody finding some of the eff3cts a bit meh , not a fan of the chorus, anything but 100% wet washes out the synth totally. Been putting to the very old algos on my mc707 and it’s night and day.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Anybody finding some of the eff3cts a bit meh , not a fan of the chorus, anything but 100% wet washes out the synth totally. Been putting to the very old algos on my mc707 and it’s night and day.
I'm pretty much only using the FX3's ("reflections) and am through the moon about them. They respond really dynamically with the filter, manually and through modulation. They're stereo. The 1-100 slider scales offer powerful visual feedback. If I want to play with distortion, I first will go to the settings tab and play with the FM and VCA settings before messing with the FX2 tab, which I generally avoid.

I wish I could turn all the FX tabs into FX3 tabs - does anyone know if I can do that?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:15 am

I wish I could turn all the FX tabs into FX3 tabs - does anyone know if I can do that?

That would be a great update actually
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:48 am

I also figured that this machine can easily get my telecaster to line level signal so I weed it through modular systems, and x2 to boot since it's stereo: Plug the guitar straight into the ext in, adjust FX1 S-curve saturation, output out to your x an y modules: presto chango.

cairnan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cairnan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:02 am

Hey all,

Purchased a brand new Typhon from a large retailer recently. Latest firmware. I think it sounds incredible, but there's one thing I wanted to ask you about, something bothering me. With an 'init' saw patch, no modulation, and the resonance at its lowest point, I sweep the filter, and there are some sounds near the top of the filter (around the 2-3 o' clock knob position). I can't tell if they're a normal part of the 'grit' and 'dirt' Dreadbox synths are known for, or if there's something wrong with how my filter is behaving. Here is an audio example (excuse the obnoxious / errant melody - just trying to reproduce the issue!):

the sounds are present throughout, but can be heard at 0:08-0:14 and 0:34-0:43, for example. turn up the audio file to hear properly!

As you may be able to hear, there are certain spots for certain notes where these sounds occur. Sometimes they sound like intermittent noisy / inharmonic off tones, other times they just sound like the amplitude / VCA is being modulated by a slow LFO (even though no modulation is being applied). In other words, certain spots where the note / timbre should be constant, but sound like they are moving. This seems to happen with high notes more than low ones. It also happens less / is less noticable with the resonance turned up.

It could be that I am just ignorant of analog synths (I've used digital VSTs for years), and that this is part of the unpredictability / 'realness' for which they are sought and desired. I'm just trying to figure out whether there's an issue. If not, I'll enjoy the synth all the same, but if so, obviously I'd want to get it repaired or looked into. Do your units have a more consistent filter movement on an init saw patch than mine? Any feedback / thoughts you can give would be very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks again, and best regards, midnightmeteors

edit: it's powered by a usb adapter in my wall, not by the computer on which i'm recording. i know this can cause problems, but it's not applicable in my case!

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 am

cairnan wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:02 am
Hey all,

Purchased a brand new Typhon from a large retailer recently. Latest firmware. I think it sounds incredible, but there's one thing I wanted to ask you about, something bothering me. With an 'init' saw patch, no modulation, and the resonance at its lowest point, I sweep the filter, and there are some sounds near the top of the filter (around the 2-3 o' clock knob position). I can't tell if they're a normal part of the 'grit' and 'dirt' Dreadbox synths are known for, or if there's something wrong with how my filter is behaving. Here is an audio example (excuse the obnoxious / errant melody - just trying to reproduce the issue!):

the sounds are present throughout, but can be heard at 0:08-0:14 and 0:34-0:43, for example. turn up the audio file to hear properly!

As you may be able to hear, there are certain spots for certain notes where these sounds occur. Sometimes they sound like intermittent noisy / inharmonic off tones, other times they just sound like the amplitude / VCA is being modulated by a slow LFO (even though no modulation is being applied). In other words, certain spots where the note / timbre should be constant, but sound like they are moving. This seems to happen with high notes more than low ones. It also happens less / is less noticable with the resonance turned up.

It could be that I am just ignorant of analog synths (I've used digital VSTs for years), and that this is part of the unpredictability / 'realness' for which they are sought and desired. I'm just trying to figure out whether there's an issue. If not, I'll enjoy the synth all the same, but if so, obviously I'd want to get it repaired or looked into. Do your units have a more consistent filter movement on an init saw patch than mine? Any feedback / thoughts you can give would be very helpful and appreciated!

Thanks again, and best regards, midnightmeteors

edit: it's powered by a usb adapter in my wall, not by the computer on which i'm recording. i know this can cause problems, but it's not applicable in my case!
Try tweaking the wave knob to find a new shape for the filter to open up more. [Tip: turn the knob setting (Global Setting / Knobs) to Jump Mode. This allows you to explore the parameters like a modular synth, and less time confined with in the trappings of each preset. Every time you move a knob, it'll jump to where you're currently moving on the dial around.] The filter (and lower left hand corner knob) is hands down my favorite part of this synth. To me, this doesn't sound like noise or a mechanical imperfection. The thing needs to warm up.

cairnan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cairnan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 am

I've got knobs (and faders) on jump, but I'll try adjusting the wave knob.

I'm prone to overanalysis and that could be the case with this thing I'm looking into. But I agree with you about the filter! From top to bottom, it's full of smooth warmth and yet capable of 'bite' too! Cutoff and resonance both behave in very pleasant ways, and it's stunning how great it sounds. Low notes sound particularly beefy and pleasant.

cairnan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cairnan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 am

Envelopes are great on this thing too, very fast (and the uncommon 'filter time' knob should be a regular feature on synths!)

Return to “General Gear”