What's your take on the BEHRINGER MODEL D? Seen a lot for sale recently.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

What's your take on the BEHRINGER MODEL D? Seen a lot for sale recently.

Post by BaloErets » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm

I don't have anything good/bad to say about Behringer so I want to make it clear right out of the park, that it's not about that. I had a BCR2000 a long while ago, and I loved that thing. So I'm not coming at this topic with a bad taste in my mouth towards them.

I've seen at least 4 B Model D's show up in the past month on the local Kijiji. I'll be honest that it has somewhat tickled my fancy to get my hands on one of these, but the amount I see being sold 2nd hand (and at great prices)j, makes me a bit nervous.

There's 2 scenarios I see here;
a) people are selling because of the sound is not good, the reproduction is not good, or some functionality that is completely off.
b) This thing is great but it sold so much that there is bound to be an increase in 2nd hand sales just due to the volume of sales it procured.

So I'm asking honestly, is it worth it?

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Re: What's your take on the BEHRINGER MODEL D? Seen a lot for sale recently.

Post by bitflip » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:34 pm

There is absolutely no information about the model D anywhere, so you're kinda on your own. :despair:

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:51 pm

I had one. Sounds good. I didn’t like the feel of it, the knobs were really stiff. But, it sounds like a mimimoog. I ended up splurging my proceeds from selling a bunch of used stuff on a model d reissue i saw used at a guitar center, so i had no need for it.

I think there are a ton of them out there, and the minimoog sound is something people may tire of, so they sell them knowing they can easily find a cheap one if they start missing it.

Toowoombaus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Toowoombaus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:54 pm

Sure it is! And I think my answer to your question is: B.

I got mine brand new at guitar center for $240 just a little more than a software synth.
I’ve used it on every project I’ve done in the last six months, I think it sounds fantastic and I like using it in unison with a couple of other synths for huge synth bass.
As long as it doesn’t break down I think it’s worth it. It’s analog, has midi and a little bit of cv functionality what’s not to like?

robleighton22
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robleighton22 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Whilst I have had moments where I've out it to the side, I actually think it's up there with my prophet 6 as being a go to for think analog sounds. I've also bought and sold other analog synths since having my Boog and the Boog always ends back in a track. Once u get over the unoriginal sounds it makes, u realise it is just a perfectly powerful sound that has a place on any track. The small form factor suits my desk arrangement. I can see the appeal of the original, being more instrument like, but I would never have the space for one.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm

... how about, people have not worked for months, so they're selling off material items that do not fall under the category of "needs" .. ?

Actually I think that may have more to do with seeing more of them for sale. The least "personally valuable" stuff goes first when finances get tight.
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:53 pm

The answer to this question, about any gear, is always B (or C, which is that the person asking the question is wrong in the assessment that ”a lot” is being put up for sale recently).
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece using Instruō harmonàig and Cš-L. 🐡

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:57 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm
... how about, people have not worked for months, so they're selling off material items that do not fall under the category of "needs" .. ?

Actually I think that may have more to do with seeing more of them for sale. The least "personally valuable" stuff goes first when finances get tight.
I had considered this, and perhaps it's entirely the case, but it remains to be said why the big stock of B Model D's are being sold instead of Ring or Clouds or Maths, for example. Things that everyone knows will sell very easily too. Why the surge in this semi mod, and if by the circumstances you mention, what makes it an example for multiple people to be an easy thing to let go?

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 am

BaloErets wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:57 pm
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm

I had considered this, and perhaps it's entirely the case, but it remains to be said why the big stock of B Model D's are being sold instead of Ring or Clouds or Maths, for example. Things that everyone knows will sell very easily too. Why the surge in this semi mod, and if by the circumstances you mention, what makes it an example for multiple people to be an easy thing to let go?
Well, plain and brutal here ... your average consumers have extremely short attention spans. The Minimoog doesn't do dubstep, it doesn't do presets, it doesn't do the dishes. My point is that unless you're someone with a love of the Minimoog, or have a specific need for one, it offers little in the way of sparkling lights, twelve bazillion features nobody uses, a sequencer, or everwhat. The general public has the attention span of a gnat. Once bored, they move on with all the fickle of a teenage girl. If "Minimoog" were a modern day business in and of itself, it would have gone belly-up since the Minimoog doesn't keep the consumers' attention long enough. Other, new, shiny objects have replaced their attentions, just like the new boy in school (only thing is we're not in school anymore but it seems the public still wants to behave like we are).

It's really pretty simple to be honest. The Behringer Mini D is not plagued with some technological pox that is making folks sell them off. They're just being the good little consumers that they are and moving on to the next impulse buy. It's that very human behavior which keeps the BST subforum in this membership full and fresh. It's not a bad thing, but it is a thing.

As of 1:33am Mountain Time on this date, eBay shows eleven used Behringer Model Ds and eighty eight new ones. Not seeing anything alarming there.

:)
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 am

Considering they were selling for that price months before the pandemic, I'd say it has very little to do with that.

The reason why it's cheap is that it's the first of the behringer clones, Neutrons are also selling for nothing. The Model D was a big deal because everybody and their grandmother knows about the minimoog, and surely when something sells at that scale it ceases to be some special niche thing that holds its value, and just becomes like any consumer product and loses a third or more of it's value after a few years. Especially for people who bought it because it was a cool and analog, and are now realizing that it's a lot more convenient to have a microkorg or a minibrute or whatever.

The unit sounds great, feels as good as any expensive piece of eurorack kit, better in many cases, and as you mention, it's extremely cheap to buy used. Kind of a no brainer, if you want a keyboardless minimoog with midi and CV in.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:00 am

Whereas in the UK people are trying to sell used ones on eBay for £255, £260, £280. Not a great bargain when it's £289 new.

auditorycanvas
Learning to Wiggle

Post by auditorycanvas » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:17 am

Is it possible there are more people now selling their D to get the new Poly D?

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Post by muleskinner » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 am
Neutrons are also selling for nothing.
I know this is off-topic, but I'm enjoying my Neutron more and more as part of a slightly larger modular setup whereas I was always a bit 'meh' about it on its own. Paired with another filter it sounds great and the patchbay is full of useful goodies.

If you see one for 'nothing' and have the space I'd jump on it!
Jamming, Patching and Twiddling: http://bit.ly/facelessmule
Currently Selling (UK): Akemie's Taiko, Batumi, Samara

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:32 am

The sound is spot on but mine has developed a dreaded crackly pot - it would obviously have to be on the control for envelope filter modulation depth, pretty much the only knob I like to tweak while playing :waah:
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:42 am

muleskinner wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:33 am
Neutrons are also selling for nothing.
I know this is off-topic, but I'm enjoying my Neutron more and more as part of a slightly larger modular setup whereas I was always a bit 'meh' about it on its own. Paired with another filter it sounds great and the patchbay is full of useful goodies.

If you see one for 'nothing' and have the space I'd jump on it!
Oh, believe me, I did!

The filter is really weird, but it's a cool synth with a lot of nice effects. I should use it more, it was my Pro-One type synth on this album:

Actually pairs really well with the MC-202/SH-101.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

CursedFrogurt
Square Enthusiast

Post by CursedFrogurt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:27 am

It sounds great and is an absurdly easy impulse-buy even at new prices. The market's probably just flooded with them.

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 am

I only sold mine because I got a real mini. But I wouldn’t have parted with it otherwise. The Behringer model d sounds identical in most cases and is fun to play! So cheap.

If you don’t need the D sound specifically then maybe check out all their other modules (pro 1, cat, etc) lots of sound to be had.

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 am

Have one, you get a lot for the price, not perfect feel or ergonomics but again the price. My guess is it doesn't fit in with the workflow of many who bought it, you can't just flip through presets until you find a sound you like

Bata
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bata » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:20 pm

I held off on buying one of these new after I saw what happened to the KARP Odyssey prices. The no presets/memories thing is going to be rough for people who want more immediate gratification. I did end up grabbing their Pro-1 new thinking less of them would be sold so they might not be as easy to find second hand.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:33 pm

I like mine. Have it for nearly 2 years now and never really had any issue with it. Sounds pretty much like a minimoog.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:34 pm

I swore off Behringer after hearing about some of their shenanigans with silencing online critics, but my Model D is quite nice and I wouldn't trade it (except for the genuine article.) If you have a chance to get one second-hand, I'd go for it.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

jcn7
no longer editing my posts

Post by jcn7 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:59 pm

I've had my original Boog for quite awhile now and ended up buying a 2nd one last year. I've been using them like an old OB 2 Voice system, one unit assigned high voice priority and the other unit low voice priority. They awesome IMHO!

In fact I like them so much I've got a 3rd one on the way! :)

Also, here is the 1st piece I wrote/produced using the Boog called "Another Floydian Slip":

LINK:
The conclusion, when all has been heard, is:
Fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil. (Solomon)

My Bandcamp site where all of my music is FREE to download: https://jamesnewman.bandcamp.com/

My Modular Cartoon drawing (Edgar's Dilemma) is available on TShirts/coffee and tea mugs/cell phone covers and other items here: https://newmanstudios.threadless.com/

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 pm

I only traded mine towards a Lyra 8 to some guy who already had two, but who wanted to jam out with three.

Great track there, don't I know you from somewhere?
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 am

cscairney wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:19 am
I only sold mine because I got a real mini. But I wouldn’t have parted with it otherwise. The Behringer model d sounds identical in most cases and is fun to play! So cheap.

If you don’t need the D sound specifically then maybe check out all their other modules (pro 1, cat, etc) lots of sound to be had.
Then why buy a real mini?
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 am

BaloErets wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 pm
b) This thing is great but it sold so much that there is bound to be an increase in 2nd hand sales just due to the volume of sales it procured.

So I'm asking honestly, is it worth it?
This is always the case with B. Cheap and expendable. Not worth reading anything into market sales.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

Return to “General Gear”