Waldorf Iridium

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Waldorf Iridium

Post by stikygum » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:35 am

I'm glad some people are getting their wish in a knobby desktop digital version of the Quantum.

I already I got my wish with the hybrid keyboard version, that couldn't be more perfect for me.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 pm

Monotremata wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:52 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm
ok, yours is the: "not inclouding taxes" price !
makes sense for you, since you´re in the US.

Thomann and MusicStore in Germany have it for 2199€. Thats the EU Price and incloudes ofcourse the EU Taxes.
I deal with the EU prices as a reference.
i don´t expect it to come down in price for the next months.
Sweetwater is quoting $3000 here.. And thats our "not including taxes" price..
3000 for the Iridium? :eek:
where did you saw this price?

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:50 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:21 pm
Monotremata wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:52 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm
ok, yours is the: "not inclouding taxes" price !
makes sense for you, since you´re in the US.

Thomann and MusicStore in Germany have it for 2199€. Thats the EU Price and incloudes ofcourse the EU Taxes.
I deal with the EU prices as a reference.
i don´t expect it to come down in price for the next months.
Sweetwater is quoting $3000 here.. And thats our "not including taxes" price..
3000 for the Iridium? :eek:
where did you saw this price?
thats what they are quoting and charging customers who have called in to place an order. there seems to be some confusion over those numbers. another US distributor told me I was free to make an offer, which they considered too low. seems a bit hazy at the moment. at 3k+ tax its getting closer and closer to the price of a secondhand Quantum. i’ve read they are trying to sort it out when it gets closer to actually shipping and some buyers might see a reprieve but its all speculation at this point. hoping it lines up a little closer to the cost of the kyra. once the smoke clears, im gonna round out my studio with either the quantum or the iridium.
TOO FAR GONE

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:56 pm

the demos are pretty nice. plenty of knobs and a touchscreen. Hopefully it's good and quick/responsive.
i think 1500 would be more fair but heh..
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:06 pm

I’m considering placing a preorder on this. I usually get a small discount at my usual retailer, and I’m waiting to see if I can get that same discount on this. $3k US doesn’t sit well with me either, not that it matter. But yeah, I could squeeze in a Quantum if I really wanted to, and the price does come very close to a second hand Quantum. I’ve just never paid $3k for a desktop module, let alone an all digital one. A small discount might push me into picking it up. But I really have to weight things out at that price, and I suspect I’m not alone. It’s very feature packed that’s for sure. I’m not saying it’s not worth it. But I don’t need it that badly; I can wait it out a bit and see if the price drops or second hand units crop up.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:18 pm

if they price it closer to the 2k ish range they’ll sell incredibly well
TOO FAR GONE

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 pm

The MSRP from Waldorf is way lower. Just wait and pick one up once they’re in stock and the spec pricing is over.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:45 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 pm
The MSRP from Waldorf is way lower. Just wait and pick one up once they’re in stock and the spec pricing is over.
:tu:
TOO FAR GONE

weasel79
Common Wiggler

Post by weasel79 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:16 am

i do own a quantum and think it's an absolutely incredible synth. and this is exactly the same synth engine minus the neglectable analogness of the filter. so compared to the quantum the price on this is a steal. i am sure they intentionally left out the additional UI controls (env, lfo, fx etc) just to make it "less" than the quantum to justify the price difference.

let's be real what you're paying for here is the software really, the developement and the ongoing and hopefully future firmware updates. which raises two small issues for me:
1. if you compare this to other music sw/hw manufacturers, the price of this software is quite far on the expensive side (ie. NI komplete for 600 EUR, arturia full bundle 500 EUR, thrown in 500 for an intel NUC and 500 for a NI kontrol w/screen)
2. it leaves a bit of a sour taste with me that i paid 2000 EUR extra, esentially for a 100EUR fatar keybed, some extra knobs and an analog filter that i personally don't even care about much. and i don't even get the CV i/o the desktop version now has. which, in turn, makes the iridium sound like a pretty good deal compared.

i am not saying this was waldorfs plan all along but it feels like they first got the guys that are willing to pay the extra dollar and now are tackling the mass market which is easy because they had such a huge profit margin on the keyboard version.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:34 am

weasel79 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:16 am
i do own a quantum and think it's an absolutely incredible synth. and this is exactly the same synth engine minus the neglectable analogness of the filter. so compared to the quantum the price on this is a steal.
I don't know. Even though i agree that the analog filters are just so-so vanilla, they still definitely sound sufficiently "analog" to give it something that no other contemporaneous synth has. Without them it would be just another (complex/amazing) digital synth. It's what really sets it apart from something like the Solaris in my mind.

Anyway, guess it's nice that people have the choice!

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:38 am

I'm surprised it's been up'd to 16 voices and still comes out cheaper. I wonder if the hardware platform's been upgraded; faster chip, more memory.

Maybe there'll be a Quantum 2 or a factory install upgrade? Maybe like the Blofeld desktop always has the sample RAM but you have to pay a licence to use it, the Quantum can do 16 voices anyway and it'll be a paid upgrade? Or maybe OS developments have allowed 16 voices and there'll be a free Quantum upgrade to 16 voices?

Probably not. Odd though that the Iridium is 16 voices. The hardware must have changed.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:41 am

weasel79 wrote:
i do own a quantum and think it's an absolutely incredible synth. and this is exactly the same synth engine minus the neglectable analogness of the filter. so compared to the quantum the price on this is a steal. i am sure they intentionally left out the additional UI controls (env, lfo, fx etc) just to make it "less" than the quantum to justify the price difference.

let's be real what you're paying for here is the software really, the developement and the ongoing and hopefully future firmware updates. which raises two small issues for me:
1. if you compare this to other music sw/hw manufacturers, the price of this software is quite far on the expensive side (ie. NI komplete for 600 EUR, arturia full bundle 500 EUR, thrown in 500 for an intel NUC and 500 for a NI kontrol w/screen)
2. it leaves a bit of a sour taste with me that i paid 2000 EUR extra, esentially for a 100EUR fatar keybed, some extra knobs and an analog filter that i personally don't even care about much. and i don't even get the CV i/o the desktop version now has. which, in turn, makes the iridium sound like a pretty good deal compared.

i am not saying this was waldorfs plan all along but it feels like they first got the guys that are willing to pay the extra dollar and now are tackling the mass market which is easy because they had such a huge profit margin on the keyboard version.
i think alot of what they’ve done by creating the iridium has been done based on what quantum users have been vocal about. lots of users have been less than impressed with with the analog filters and the 8 voice limitation. obviously alot of potential that cant afford the flagship quantum or dont have room for it have been asking for a desktop version. im not one to promote gearslutz but rolf is incredibly transparent and receptive on the quantum thread there.
TOO FAR GONE

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:38 am
The hardware must have changed.
i have posted a link to the German Forum sequenzer.de in my first post in this thread.

there, in that thread, are clear statements available.
Rolf from Waldorf is ( to little bits) present there in that thread and moogulator the forum chief has good contacts to the German Synth maker scene it seems.

there have been statements that Waldorf created a new "Platform" ( which the Quantum is based on) that will allow them to release more products based on that "Platform".
There was not one sentence that would make one think that the Iridium has an updated Hardware.
It "seems" their core Hardware is way capable and good for more to come.

Seems that the analog filter was the stumbling block in regards to the polyphonie of the Quantum, and NOT the CPU cycles power.
There were statments that Waldorf is "looking" into it, if they can add a mode to the Quantum where the analog filters will be disabled,
and a 16 Voice polyhonie mode will be added, edit: as a own mode.

don´t hang me up if my wording isn´t perfect enough.
the original german thread is there........check it yourself in case you need clear answers
ahh wait, look here:
https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... st-2011517

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Rolf says here it’s the same processor:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electr ... tml#12554
Mabel encounters a peahen.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:19 pm
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:38 am
The hardware must have changed.
Seems that the analog filter was the stumbling block in regards to the polyphonie of the Quantum, and NOT the CPU cycles power.
There were statments that Waldorf is "looking" into it, if they can add a mode to the Quantum where the analog filters will be disabled,
and a 16 Voice polyhonie mode will be added, edit: as a own mode.
ah cool, that's interesting, thanks

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:35 pm

weasel79 wrote:
This has been running through my head. It seems very attractive with an awesome synth engine, but I have been wanting to get a good keyboard controller and you can get the NI Kontrol S88 with NI Komplete 12 Select for $1,000. I already have Reaktor, and NI has just released some very interesting new instruments.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:35 pm
weasel79 wrote:
This has been running through my head. It seems very attractive with an awesome synth engine, but I have been wanting to get a good keyboard controller and you can get the NI Kontrol S88 with NI Komplete 12 Select for $1,000. I already have Reaktor, and NI has just released some very interesting new instruments.
I actually just purchased a Kontrol S88 not long ago to have as my master controller. It feels great. I've had a license for Komplete for quite a while. I have it because the guy I work with tends to use various Komplete plugins. He also is more into presets. Personally I don't find working with Komplete nearly as fulfilling as a dedicated piece of hardware. I thought I might be able to replace the Prophet X with NI but I just don't see it happening. Granted, I haven't really explored how the S88 integrates yet. But no matter how well it integrates, I can't see it being the same as a dedicated instrument. The Push 2 for instance was developed specifically for Ableton and it's pretty good, but I never found the workflow to be as seamless as something like an MPC. I'm not a power Push 2 user so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyways, I'm waiting to hear back about pricing but I suspect I'll eventually snag one of these. Partly because I have problems. But partly because it's incredibly unique. Ha but I'm not paying $3k for it that's for sure. I will wait it out for a better deal.

weasel79
Common Wiggler

Post by weasel79 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:03 pm

i wanna add to what i said that

- i'm happy there's a more affordable version now, for both the prospective users and for waldorf to hopefully make some more mainstream money.
- the price difference between quantum and iridium does not seem justifiable to me though. the very least would be for waldorf to port the 16 voice fw to quantum.
- i stand by what i said, both units are still on the very high end of the price range if you look at what you get. i'm torn on whether i would say "it's worth it". you do get a really nice piece of hardware. a kontrol mk2 has the same fatar bed but only 8 knobs that are nowhere near 1:1 functionally. but you get 20-30 well proven digital synths, instead of one. maybe another comparison should be made to lets say a moog one, to put the price into perspective. looking at manufacturing/development cost that one definately has a much higher profit margin than waldorf with the quantum.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:44 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:35 pm
weasel79 wrote:
I actually just purchased a Kontrol S88 not long ago to have as my master controller. It feels great. I've had a license for Komplete for quite a while. I have it because the guy I work with tends to use various Komplete plugins. He also is more into presets. Personally I don't find working with Komplete nearly as fulfilling as a dedicated piece of hardware. I thought I might be able to replace the Prophet X with NI but I just don't see it happening. Granted, I haven't really explored how the S88 integrates yet. But no matter how well it integrates, I can't see it being the same as a dedicated instrument. The Push 2 for instance was developed specifically for Ableton and it's pretty good, but I never found the workflow to be as seamless as something like an MPC. I'm not a power Push 2 user so take that with a grain of salt.

Anyways, I'm waiting to hear back about pricing but I suspect I'll eventually snag one of these. Partly because I have problems. But partly because it's incredibly unique. Ha but I'm not paying $3k for it that's for sure. I will wait it out for a better deal.
I get what you are saying and also what weasel79 is saying. I generally prefer hardware for those reasons. But I'm also at the point where I already feel overwhelmed by hardware and cabling and powering etc, and I've made a decision, controller aside, to just limit hardware to outboard from now on.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 am

If you do go all in on the NI ecosystem, it’s hard to go back. Way off topic for this thread, but NI is definitely worth spending some time with and seeing if it fits your work style. Really fantastic tools and instruments.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:17 am

rowsbywoof wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 am
If you do go all in on the NI ecosystem,
NI's awesome, I just upgraded to Battery 4.

I've learnt I'm the most satisfied when I've got a little bit of everything and that if I go too far down one rabbit hole I start to feel hemmed in.

I've hardware synths but I use software too. Sometimes I'll work with the sequencers/features in those but I use Logic as well. I've got only a tiny bit of Eurorack, mainly to compliment an 0-coast, and whilst I have a pile of guitar fx (having been a guitarist for years) I also use lots of UA plugins.

Think I still desire the Quantum more than the Iridium. My fear with desktop units is they get pushed to one side (as one works, you can only have so many things sitting on or in front of a keyboard controller) and just used for presets as if they were ROMplers. If I have to move and sit in front of something I engage with it more.

But if you don't do that, don't want another 61 key keyboard floating about, and are even vaguely sensible with money, then the Iridium's a no-brainer! :tu:

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am

weasel79 wrote:

Hmm, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. The history of the company has always been to make quality products and quality always comes at a solid price. Waldorf is a small company, boutique if you will, that has done an incredible job to come back to life with the Blofeld, which is considered to be the epitome of best bang for buck in terms of synthesis power you can find. Of course they were able to do that because of their previous endeavors of already having the technology from the much more expensive XT and Q line. They made the Waldorf Wave, which was pricey and they had a 2U version without any knobs what so ever, at a much lower price point. So sure it's possible.

But you can't expect Waldorf to make a 7U rack that is up to their quality level and have it be cheap, like the trend of late is for a lot of companies. I much rather have a quality product, then for them to skip the quality and give me their tech for cheap.

Comparing to Native Instruments really don't make sense. The world of a software company is way different than a hardware company. Arturia is one company that has done a great job with the transition, but even they have a $2000 monophonic synth that's based off of their cheaper synths. Native Instruments uses (if they don't anymore) cheap plastic Maschine 1 controllers that people now sell for barely $100 (when they were $600 new). Mine is just sitting in a pile at my friends mainly because the software behind it isn't fun to use for me, but that's besides the point. There's a reason why they're so cheap to begin with and they don't hold their value.

The Quantum and Iridium were labors of love. These synths weren't created in order to cash out on it's consumers. The funny thing is I've felt that about Native Instruments, as they always sell Komplete at really high prices and then knock it down (logically) years later. That's business for cutting edge stuff. It's just how it goes. For me, I'm happy to pay into a hardware product that I really want, suits me like a glove, and I feel isn't going to be vaporware in years to come.

Also, I don't think we know Waldorf's or other company's profit margins. So we don't know what they're making. For me, that's besides the point. I make my synth purchase decisions based on how much I want something and if I want to support a company. I would love to support tons of synths companies, but we pick and choose. The Quantum was a synth I couldn't believe was being attempted. Not created, just attempted. And I didn't know if it would succeed or if Waldorf would suffer a similar fate as before. I was floored they planned to make it and put it in production and I personally was really happy they were going forward with it.

Every synth isn't for everyone. There's synths that are out of my price range, but I realized the Quantum was a synth I really wanted and was willing to spend the money on. I also wanted to support a company that had the same interest in synth as I wanted. I'm glad that it has an analog filter that adds to the sound and also doesn't have strong character that can't be used over and over. I feel like this analog filter allows me to multi-track with the Quantum and not get (insert character filter here) filter ear fatigue in a song. It's a very well thought out synth.

For the Iridium, they couldn't possibly fit all the knobs in 7U. Rolf explains this in the Synth Anatomy video. They even had to make the knobs in the Osc section closer together to fit the knobs. Compromises obviously had to made for space reasons. Not some unfounded 'they're trying to make a business move' to justify prices of other products. Some companies really do this, but I'm not going to point them out here. They also upped the polyphony (from listening to consumers) and added the step

I guess what I'm saying, is we should be gracious Waldorf made these synths. We were the ones to give them our money. There was/is reason for that. Awesome company, awesome synths. I don't think we need to analyze their business model. They are a company created for the synthesist and the advancement of synths. They listen to their consumers and I couldn't be more happy to support them buying a product from them that I love using, no matter the cost. Not to mention they gave me another badass synth engine years after I purchased it.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:36 am

rowsbywoof wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:52 am
If you do go all in on the NI ecosystem, it’s hard to go back. Way off topic for this thread, but NI is definitely worth spending some time with and seeing if it fits your work style. Really fantastic tools and instruments.
Sorry for off topic but in a way it's related. Not really planning to go all in on the NI ecosystem, it's just that this really is a fully digital synth and at $2k it's worth me asking in my particular situation if I can tolerate the synth engine sitting on my computer. I think it's interesting for me to think out aloud in this thread and hear people's views.

Stikygum, I've always found Waldorf an interesting and forward thinking company with great synth people involved, but it hasn't been without quality issues in the past or even more recently. Also Waldorf is a software and hardware company just like NI but just approaching that differently, and I don't think I'd be too far from the truth thinking these recent synths are a way to use its software development in a hardware wrapper, and I'm not criticizing it for wanting to do that. The main difference is NI has not ported its software to a dedicated CPU.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:12 pm

I think every completely digital synth suffers the fate of being compared to software. I just don’t think the software ever totally nails it but it’s close. I’ve owned a Nord Lead 2 and Discovery. Very close. Discovery sounds great. Same with Absynth and the Virus. So you could accomplish similar tasks elsewhere. But it would take more than one plugin. Also, CPU load might factor in. Things like granular plugins can be CPU intensive. I definitely hear folks when they say excessive hardware can be overwhelming. But I find having a million plugins equally or more overwhelming. At least with hardware I see everything I have right in front me. Haha. I think room layout really plays a role I. A mostly hardware set up. Honestly as I go, I’ve moved further and further from doing stuff in the box and eventually I hope to do mostly arrangement and some audio processing ITB and everything else in hardware. So this could definitely a role. My main hang up is the large price discrepancy between US and pretty much everywhere else. Thomann has it listed at just above $2k US. I may just go that route.

Dubonaire is also very spot on in stating that Waldorf has had some QC issues with the recent releases. The screen issues with the Quantum concern me.

Anyways, I agree this is a really big undertaking and I’m stoked. I need another synth like I need a hole in the head but I’ll definitely make some space for this.

Wedoh
Common Wiggler

Post by Wedoh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:42 pm

I am curious about these pads. Is it possible to use them in the modulation matrix? Like to set velocity amount for a pad as a modulation source? Or are they velocity sensitive? Or as triggers, for envelopes, or For running modulation sequencer. To several destinations at the same time, like macro controls.
Reminds me i should learn the x/y pad Of the Quantum.

CV outputs would be awsome, to use the modulation sequencers to control euro rack, or set up modulation macro controls using the pads.

I also think the idea to use Iridium as a granular engine for euro rack is an interesting combination.

Return to “General Gear”