Gift to get my girlfriend into my hobby?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gift to get my girlfriend into my hobby?

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:48 am

oscilloscope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:46 am
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:22 am

quote]so wait, she's a "decent" piano player ... and you want to get her a tinkertoy like a monotribe to test her interest in synths? this is a horrible approach in my opinion. she's going to compare a "real instrument" (the piano) to some little squeaky box ... my guess is she won't take it seriously, too toyish, not a "serious musician's instrument" (so to speak). i mean, at least get her something with full sized keys ... something she can relate with and actually play pieces she's familiar with. that approach has a far higher likelihood of success ... it brings some of her world into the situation, along with bringing her into your world.
tinkertoy ?
squeaky box ?
toyish ?

:party:

It doesn't sport a 76 weighted-key Fatar keyboard, nonetheless, the Monotribe is a true classic.
For connoisseurs only, so if the gift is truly meant for the receiver (instead of for the giver himself) the OP may be more successful with a more conventional instrument.
.. just to be clear, I was not personally saying that those devices are toyish ... I was saying THAT IS HOW A NON-SYNTH PERSON WHO'S PLAYED PIANO FOR YEARS MAY PERCEIVE THOSE LITTLE DEVICES.

Oh, and Good Morning :)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 pm

oscilloscope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:48 am
lisa wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:26 am
Some rather bleak standpoints regarding relationships and the catenation of men and women in this thread. :)

In my view you can invite your partner to partake in your hobby without forcing it on him/her and without the inevitable destruction of the relationship. My partner is also my best friend and I love the fact that we patch eurorack and make music together. It's a good thing.
How does this relate to, or answer the OP question ?
Only in the most profound way. ;)

Well. As you can see, there are several posters in this thread that states the notion that sharing interests is bad (!) for relationships. I was merely pointing out that this general advice is untrue in my case. The point was to counter what others told the OP, not to answer the OP directly.
An exclusive, all Alesis Ion track! The best synth ever made. :guinness:

htor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by htor » Sun May 24, 2020 1:17 pm

maybe you could buy her a theremin

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun May 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Micro freak
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Sun May 24, 2020 5:05 pm

Relationship advice in a gear thread 😂

OP-1— Keys (small), synths, fx, sequencers and 4 tracks to record to. Batteries. Portable. Addicting, self-contained fun.

It’s expensive though. A cheaper and similar fun box with keys would be the Microsampler.

Personally, if I was new to this, I’d really appreciate either of these since I can make complete songs with them on their own, within their limitations.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sun May 24, 2020 5:36 pm

I may have missed this - but does she want to get into your hobby? Like did she express interest or are you just interested in getting her into it?

CopperHydra
Common Wiggler

Post by CopperHydra » Sun May 24, 2020 6:10 pm

The best gift would be a VCS3 with a matching ring.

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 pm

My wife is a violinist. I bought her a Monologue, and she loves it.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 am

Leave it to the Japanese to come up with the perfect classy musical gift for Muffwiggler lady friends:
roland_aerophone.jpg
(screenshot from official Roland Aerophone promotional video)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon May 25, 2020 10:02 am

bro just let her live
TOO FAR GONE

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon May 25, 2020 10:02 am

Why buy her something at all? Can't you just let her play with some of your stuff? :)

Shadewe
Common Wiggler

Post by Shadewe » Mon May 25, 2020 11:18 am

I personally don't feel your idea is bad as such, but the problems I see is it's about you, and not her.

If you want her to join you in this hobby, that's great, but I wouldn't wrap it around her birthday; that's hers, make it special for her. What I'd do is do is give it to her without strings, out of the blue and not attached to anything else other that "because you can". Also, be honest as to why; "Honey, I got you this because I like this hobby, and I'd like to show you why I like it with something of your own. If you like it, that's great, and if not I'll use it for myself (make sure it's not too expensive else you may incur spending wrath or find better reason/excuse)."
Practicing social distancing since 1984

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm

This kinda reminds me of a girlfriend that had wanted me to take up knitting with her. She thought it would be super cool to have a boyfriend that liked to knit. On the other hand we did share a love of sketching and painting and we were able to give each other gifts that showed our shared enthusiasm for that hobby. So my suggestion would be to make sure this gift falls under the sketching and painting category rather than the knitting one.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Mon May 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Buy her something she really wants for her birthday. C'mon now.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 pm

The OP asked for gear recommendations, not opinions about his relationship. Muffs, you're so tabloid :omg: :hihi:

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:48 am
oscilloscope wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:46 am
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:22 am

quote]so wait, she's a "decent" piano player ... and you want to get her a tinkertoy like a monotribe to test her interest in synths? this is a horrible approach in my opinion. she's going to compare a "real instrument" (the piano) to some little squeaky box ... my guess is she won't take it seriously, too toyish, not a "serious musician's instrument" (so to speak). i mean, at least get her something with full sized keys ... something she can relate with and actually play pieces she's familiar with. that approach has a far higher likelihood of success ... it brings some of her world into the situation, along with bringing her into your world.
tinkertoy ?
squeaky box ?
toyish ?

:party:

It doesn't sport a 76 weighted-key Fatar keyboard, nonetheless, the Monotribe is a true classic.
For connoisseurs only, so if the gift is truly meant for the receiver (instead of for the giver himself) the OP may be more successful with a more conventional instrument.
.. just to be clear, I was not personally saying that those devices are toyish ... I was saying THAT IS HOW A NON-SYNTH PERSON WHO'S PLAYED PIANO FOR YEARS MAY PERCEIVE THOSE LITTLE DEVICES.

Oh, and Good Morning :)
you're spot on. this actually happened to me. i was living in france and had an odyssey. french girl i was dating at the time came over and was completely mystified as to why it would only play 1 or 2 notes at a time. after all it has a keyboard like a piano so it should work like one. she just didn't get it.

Return to “General Gear”