Behringer Mono/Poly!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Re: Behringer Mono/Poly!

Post by oudplayer » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pm

3hands wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm
oudplayer wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm
That demo sounds horrible! Nothing close to the richness and timbral variety of the mono/poly I've owned and performed/recorded with for the last 22 years. But, we can't rule out "operator error" for this demo, it doesn't seem the performer figured out what to do with the cross-mod or filter settings.

Because the internet is the be all and end all for high fidelity listening tests...

I do agree the guy didn’t know what he was doing for most of that demo. But I would want to hear it in the hands of someone who’s owned an OG for many years.
I'll see if one of my New York peeps bites at buying this Bonoboly and wants to bring it over... post-covid, that is.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue May 12, 2020 9:39 pm

traded an AKAI AX60 for one-20 years ago, it's a gorgeous machine, but never cared for the 2044 filter in it. Perhaps I was expecting a 2040.
It was a cool synth, FX area was fun, just not my thing, I miss the AX60 more.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Tue May 12, 2020 9:59 pm

werock wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm
Wonder what they used for VCOs - didn't the original use SSM VCO chips? That would be something if they have reproduced those as well.
I’d be willing to bet they’re using their cloned Curtis chip like in their other recent stuff (Pro 1, VC340, MS-101) but I could be wrong.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 pm

This could tempt me. I didn't think I would ever say it. Maybe I'll just tape over the logo and pretend it's from somewhere else.

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Wed May 13, 2020 12:27 am

black_label wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:59 pm
werock wrote:
Wonder what they used for VCOs - didn't the original use SSM VCO chips? That would be something if they have reproduced those as well.
I’d be willing to bet they’re using their cloned Curtis chip like in their other recent stuff (Pro 1, VC340, MS-101) but I could be wrong.
That's what I'm thinking too, the sounds in the demo sound like they could have been made with any generic reissue 2-oscillator analog using the 3340/3320 combo. That sound is well represented in the current reissue market. But it's not the sound of a real mono/poly, nor why you'd go for a mono/poly and its wonky architecture! I wonder what they used for the noise source, too; earlier production mono/polys had a looping digital noise that was kinda nasty sounding, later ones went back to analog.

rockthomas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rockthomas » Wed May 13, 2020 12:55 am

Tajnost wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:37 pm
just my 2 cents as an owner of Mono/Poly for last 20 years:

it doesn't sound like M/P to me - lacks its filter "liquidity" and something about OSCs and FX section just doesn't match Korg. Of course hard to tell just from this small demo, but even now it's quite obvious. To me, Moog Matriarch sounds more monopolish than this, or Vermona Performer, which has some of MP magic, but go much further... and if one wants to get a vintage analog synth tone, it's better to look elsewhere (Dreadbox, Vermona, Sequential P6/OB6, MacBeth etc... )

however, yeah, nice-looking toy :)
I have a couple Mono/Polys and the demo doesn't match the tone or weirdness of the original. It could just be the age I guess, but with a different style demo and some trimpot tweaks it might nail it. Can you control poly with midi? CV on the original is unison but there was a midi mod that allowed for it so I am hoping it is possible now.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Wed May 13, 2020 1:02 am

It's Behringer and all that. But an affordable fucking MonoPoly! I can only resist so much. :D

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Wed May 13, 2020 3:13 am

oudplayer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:27 am
black_label wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:59 pm
werock wrote:
That's what I'm thinking too, the sounds in the demo sound like they could have been made with any generic reissue 2-oscillator analog using the 3340/3320 combo. That sound is well represented in the current reissue market. But it's not the sound of a real mono/poly, nor why you'd go for a mono/poly and its wonky architecture! I wonder what they used for the noise source, too; earlier production mono/polys had a looping digital noise that was kinda nasty sounding, later ones went back to analog.
They have cloned the 2044 VCF chip, so there's no reason why they wouldn't be using that for the filter, but yes, maybe they are using their 3340 for the VCO.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 am

Uli Behringer, 37 keys? 37 keys. WTF can't you see the value of the 7 you left off?

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Wed May 13, 2020 4:07 am

rockthomas wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:55 am
I have a couple Mono/Polys and the demo doesn't match the tone or weirdness of the original. It could just be the age I guess, but with a different style demo and some trimpot tweaks it might nail it. Can you control poly with midi? CV on the original is unison but there was a midi mod that allowed for it so I am hoping it is possible now.
https://tubbutec.de/modypoly/

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed May 13, 2020 4:35 am

Tajnost wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:07 am
https://tubbutec.de/modypoly/
Tubbutec is known to be working with-for Behringer, so expect this would be included on their MP.

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Wed May 13, 2020 4:44 am

KSS wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:35 am
Tubbutec is known to be working with-for Behringer, so expect this would be included on their MP.
Interesting, we'll see...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed May 13, 2020 8:27 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 pm
This could tempt me. I didn't think I would ever say it. Maybe I'll just tape over the logo and pretend it's from somewhere else.
I think the typography they use in their modules is far better than add the hideous logo too...If they just keeps the name on their synth they could be nicer to look
BTW, I like the look of this more than the Poly-D...I think I like it even more than the OG :sstorm:

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Wed May 13, 2020 8:44 am

Add me to the list of folk who have always wanted a mono/poly.

brokensolderingiron
Common Wiggler

Post by brokensolderingiron » Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 am

What plays a sonic role here is the el cheapo trannies in resistive mode VCA stage in original, the BonoBolly sound demo sounds it
have proper OTA stage slightly saturated i.e the salt an peppa! Just sayin! I bet 1 dullar its V3340 VCO ,V2044 VCF and V13700 VCA!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed May 13, 2020 9:51 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 pm
I like what has been done with the logo on this Neutron overlay:

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed May 13, 2020 10:18 am

It’s not like we didn’t know that behringer was going for a monopoly. :hihi:

This sounds seriously good.

skreetis
Common Wiggler

Post by skreetis » Wed May 13, 2020 10:21 am

If the price is reasonable, it will be hard to say no to this...

mhtones
Dreams in CV

Post by mhtones » Wed May 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Damn! Seriously starting to run out of space. Hope there's enough of a sound difference to keep me away. :hihi:
FS (US): Noise Engineering Loquelic Iteritas Percido - The Beast

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm

I don’t expect more than an impression of the sound from these synth videos..

But have you seen this demo?

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Listen to the arpeggio segment at 3:35. That’s a mono/poly.

love that they reproduced the panel layout exactly, for once. plus, I always wished the monopoly was a little smaller and lighter.

I was just looking into buying a monopoly and mortified at the listing prices. I sold mine for $800 (twice what I payed for it) not that long ago.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed May 13, 2020 3:22 pm

sanders wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:19 pm
I don’t expect more than an impression of the sound from these synth videos..

But have you seen this demo?

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Listen to the arpeggio segment at 3:35. That’s a mono/poly.

love that they reproduced the panel layout exactly, for once. plus, I always wished the monopoly was a little smaller and lighter.

I was just looking into buying a monopoly and mortified at the listing prices. I sold mine for $800 (twice what I payed for it) not that long ago.
Oh Jesus. They actually nailed it.

Edit: fuck. I have to have one.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Tajnost wrote:

it doesn't sound like M/P to me - lacks its filter "liquidity" and something about OSCs and FX section just doesn't match Korg. Of course hard to tell just from this small demo, but even now it's quite obvious.
I get that feeling too. It sounds more "stiff" in the Behringer. The way the MonoPoly filter self oscillates is beautiful, wondering how that will sound.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Wed May 13, 2020 5:46 pm

As much as I loved my old Mono/Poly I never thought the raw sound was particularly interesting. I prefer the mellow Roland sound or the rich gritty Moog sound. But the Mono/Poly was still my favorite synth because of the crazy architecture. So unless Behringer has somehow smoothed away all the raw screaming and dischordant growls then I'm in - as soon as I can figure out where it can possibly fit...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed May 13, 2020 6:40 pm

daphnid wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:14 pm
Tajnost wrote:

it doesn't sound like M/P to me - lacks its filter "liquidity" and something about OSCs and FX section just doesn't match Korg. Of course hard to tell just from this small demo, but even now it's quite obvious.
I get that feeling too. It sounds more "stiff" in the Behringer. The way the MonoPoly filter self oscillates is beautiful, wondering how that will sound.
I don´t have a monopoly but for the demos I heard before (and now) I think I agree with you. The OG is a bit more "alive" and have a certain "soft" character in a very good way of softness. Maybe it has to do with oscillator tuning or filter callibration?
I remember the first demos of the Behringer Model D was sounded very off and generic, but then they improved the sound a lot.
After a 1:1 comparison I will decide. Taking in mind that the OG are from U$ 1800 to 3200 (insanely expensive IMHO) the difference could be easily justified if the price is close to the Poly-D

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu May 14, 2020 4:03 am

Hope more demo's pop-up soon! Also hope some mods (like this: http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2012/12 ... opoly.html ) are included. :)

Return to “General Gear”