Dumb question regarding Elekton Model:Samples

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Dumb question regarding Elekton Model:Samples

Post by Slabwax » Tue May 05, 2020 4:06 pm

I just made my first lock down gear purchase. The surprising thing about it was I was not not drunk or high (not a drop or a hit in me at the time.) As the subject states I picked up a Model:Sample. My first bit of Elektron kit. My question is can the 3.5mm midi i/o work as a sync i/o? If not is there some sort of work around? I'd like to sync to to a Liquid Foam. The L/F does not have any midi only sync in and out.

Thanks
Slabwax

PeterHanes
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Dumb question regarding Elekton Model:Samples

Post by PeterHanes » Sat May 09, 2020 3:28 pm

Slabwax wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:06 pm
My question is can the 3.5mm midi i/o work as a sync i/o?
It cannot.

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Thu May 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Thank you for reply

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 pm

the D in MIDI is for "digital"

the clock you are talking about is analog

MIDI signals are information coded in a (very specific) digital way...at electrical level it´s very different from what you get as an analog clock, that is a much simpler, even hackable, set of pulses at a certain frequency...not far away from a metronome

you need a "decoder" to bring the MIDI clock information to the analog world, ussualy called a MIDI to CV interface, that should have an analog clock output

you can perform some interesting tricks at this level, usin the trigger out (short pulse generated when play a note) as a clock signal, and send it to the clock input of another device. Then program your "clock" (train of notes) in the way you want. It can be a division or muliplication of the real clock, or even be irregular in time, swinged or anything...sky`s the limit

Tofupancho
Common Wiggler

Post by Tofupancho » Thu May 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Not a dumb question at all. Sync outputs can be as hot as 5v, enough to damage most MIDI inputs if you hooked them up with an adapter. Something like the Korg SQ-1 can clock both or bridge analog sync to MIDI.

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just picked up the Model:Samples and I have a Liquid Foam on the way. I'm looking for a way to sync the two together. The Samples only has midi and the L.F. only has clock I/O . Is the SQ 1 my best cheap option? Anything in euro that does not take up much space?

Return to “General Gear”