Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

TwįddłėFr0bz69
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Something new from Make Noise coming?

Post by TwįddłėFr0bz69 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 pm

MN stackable cables??!! Finally!!! :rastanana:

HII YALL TWIDDLER&FR0BZ HERE, Łø000ng t!mĒZ lürkštêrZ (13 months?) First time post!!! YAyyyyyyyyyy :miley:

:sadbanana: :deadbanana:

Looks like I will have to hold out for PPv2... the last step in my shared system! (Sn0tGrĖĘn). Two years Three years down the road you think?? Surely they won't release it in the fall??? Can we just chop the right half of this desk unit off, and glue it on to another so I can have a 67 1/2 hp controller for my (QÙèéRédCœmpüteR69) (A MN based double sided Musick Easel knock-off housed in an 11" deep Halliburton Sub-Zero briefcase) bounces and transmutations???

:help:
Last edited by TwįddłėFr0bz69 on Tue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm

I might have to get one of these with an 0-Coast, kinda like a make noise easel of sorts haha.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm

0-Ctrl actually saves me $399.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm

Looks like I might need to get a bigger table. haha.
Last edited by insoul8 on Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue May 05, 2020 12:37 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm
Foghorn, I don’t see PP+Brains or 0-Control as all that similar to Rene 2. They work differently and excel at different things.
From watching the video at lunch time I would call this thing a sequence pattern generator or sequence controller.
To that extent is what I was talking about Rene 2 which I view as a sequence controller with CV and gate outs.
Of course semantics comes into play here
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Semantics, in this situation, are not particularly useful.

blaythe.steuer
Common Wiggler

Post by blaythe.steuer » Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 pm

someone needs to rename this thread haha

also this can be looked at like its freeing 20-24hp of your shared system if you’re cool with having two boxes.

this would be such a clear win if it was easily rackable though IMO

Black_Materia
Common Wiggler

Post by Black_Materia » Tue May 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Anyone know what the leftmost touchplate (overlapping circle pattern) does?

edit* nevermind, loopop already made a review. No further questions lol.
Last edited by Black_Materia on Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonpines
Common Wiggler

Post by jonpines » Tue May 05, 2020 12:52 pm

This was quick...

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm

Shocked that the stages aren't CV addressable or CV in for transposition. That's something I had wanted on the PP/Brains in the past.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Intellijel Palette

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 pm
How much more do you get here vs. a Rene II?
I realize the Rene is $200 US more, but seems pretty powerful.
I only have a Rene(I) and have not looked at much of what Rene II is capable of due to shrinking pocket syndrome and just plain disappointment at the huge influx of new gear within a year of spending way too much. (much for sale soon, I guess)
Any opinions on Rene II vs. this?

EDIT: "elaboration" of 2 pressure points and a brains?
I have that, I guess I don't know how to use pressure points very well either

I'm buying this just because it has gate outputs for my Harmonic Oscillator.

Also it's outside of the rack and I prefer it for a touch controller.

I don't see this as a pitch sequencer like rené at all. It's a touch controller first.

TwįddłėFr0bz69
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TwįddłėFr0bz69 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm

nihile_tropes wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm
chiasticon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 am
dear Make Noise: I have a shared system and a skiff full of your modules. I like them. now you made something very cool that I wish I could put into the skiff as a replacement for 2 pressure points and a brains, but you had to go and make it non-eurorack. so... no money for you.
I feel you. This thing would be a strong contender for the center spot in the bottom row of the rack but now, not so much. :despair:
There's just something about a compact, yet holistic system that a bundle of individual units can't come close to. Also, I'd rather not carry separate pieces with me.
Same here. Maybe someday I'll put together a little cutie 0-coast/ctrl set up (with a perf little sideways mult in the middle), housed in their own beautifully crafted sassyfrassy foldable carrying case. But not this year or probably the next.

And to think! I had prepared myself to pre-order two of whatever! :drinking: :buchla: :russian:

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm

exper wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm
Shocked that the stages aren't CV addressable or CV in for transposition. That's something I had wanted on the PP/Brains in the past.
but you could easily patch that yourself... this is a modular system after-all

2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 2disbetter » Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm

What really surprises me, is how when I first start putting my eurorack system together, I hated MN because of their panels. As time went on, I began to appreciate them, and appreciate Make Noise for their approach. Come full circle, and I think the 0 Ctrl is a great idea, and the video intro for it was expertly done. It was as much as a sales video for the 0-Coast as it was for the 0-Ctrl.

I have so many controllers as it is, but there is just something really inviting about this thing's immediacy.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Things I like: It looks cool, its hands on and immediate 2 x PP+Brains combo with the 3rd row doing Time (can the bottom row be switched to something other than "Time" and be used as another CV out?), the envelope out.

Things I don't like: Touchplates (does this have the Rene mk2 touchplates?), no option to put it in the rack/option to buy the module and save up on the case and PSU it comes with (and of course the 400bucks), the tacky directions arrows.

I think they are very smart to release something that adds to the 0-Coast though. A lot of people have that and want something cool and simple to control it that is hands on and needs no case.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm

orangehexagon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm
exper wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:57 pm
but you could easily patch that yourself... this is a modular system after-all
Not CV addressable stages...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Intellijel Palette

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Tue May 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Has there been any mention of improvements for the touch plates for people that were unloved by the OG Rene and Pressure Pants?

Roge Piltoney
Common Wiggler

Post by Roge Piltoney » Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Athair wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm
The biggest issue I have is the strange mental shift that happens as soon as you pull something out of the rack. $399 inside the rack for something like this seems perfectly reasonable. As soon as you make it standalone though you inevitably end up comparing it to some other really capable devices for similar money. Totally different paradigm from most other devices but the lack of quantisation or more than one sequencer channel makes it hard to justify vs a Keystep/SQ-1/BSP plus change.
Hi Athair! Welcome to the forum.

I think a very important factor is an instrument's inspiration-factor. Versatility and function do not matter if they do not help you make good music or inspire you to try new things. I think the 0-ctrl looks very unique and capable of creating music that is very immediate and unprecedented. And it's implementation of pressure, touch, self-patchability, and variable envelopes/gates make it very different from the sequencers you mentioned and far more geared towards modular users.
Also it could probably be racked in a similar manner to the 0-Coast.

Also -
I'm pretty sure that it is in fact a 3-channel sequencer. Pitch, strength, and time are all non-quantized CV sources that can be used to control anything.
Check out my new live performance video series, "Sh'mi". I'll be posting videos every week.
Sh'mi (shuh-MEE) means "my name" in (somewhat archaic) hebrew.
This is an exploration, an active experiment, into the Self.
Experiments in soundscapes, labyrinths, and generative sonic puzzle-songs ensue...

latest video:

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 pm

When this first came out, I was thinking of modding it and putting it in my CV Bus case. I think now though, I am going to get a Rene 2 and 0-Ctrl and not get Pressure Points and Wogglebug. There is a bit too much that Rene can do which justifies the purchase in addition to 0-Ctrl (for me anyway).

I do wish they offered a more simpler solution to "racking it" like Moog and Behringer just in case you wanted to mess around with it. I am quite sure Tony and Co. has specific reasons why they make it tough to hack an 0-Coast or 0-Ctrl into a rack.

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue May 05, 2020 1:30 pm

nectarios wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:11 pm
(can the bottom row be switched to something other than "Time" and be used as another CV out?)
Yes, there's a dedicated CV out for each, also the third. You just have to turn the Time knob anticlockwise to stop it affecting steps duration.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue May 05, 2020 1:36 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 pm
How much more do you get here vs. a Rene II?
I realize the Rene is $200 US more, but seems pretty powerful.
I only have a Rene(I) and have not looked at much of what Rene II is capable of due to shrinking pocket syndrome and just plain disappointment at the huge influx of new gear within a year of spending way too much. (much for sale soon, I guess)
Any opinions on Rene II vs. this?

EDIT: "elaboration" of 2 pressure points and a brains?
I have that, I guess I don't know how to use pressure points very well either
Rene will get you much more complex sequences. And its really 3 sequencers that can talk to each other. This is more for expressive touch melody making, not super experimental get a million ideas like Rene 2 is

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Roge Piltoney wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm
I think a very important factor is an instrument's inspiration-factor. Versatility and function do not matter if they do not help you make good music or inspire you to try new things. I think the 0-ctrl looks very unique and capable of creating music that is very immediate and unprecedented. And it's implementation of pressure, touch, self-patchability, and variable envelopes/gates make it very different from the sequencers you mentioned and far more geared towards modular users.
Altought this is undoubtedly true, many of these "performance" or "inspirational" features are available, for example, on the SQ-1. Yes, they're not accessible with patching, but there's step jump, ping pong, subset looping, double parallel CV rows, per-step gate, per-step slide... Not exactly the same things, that's right, but still I think that they're on the same level when you consider inspiration and hands-on performability.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue May 05, 2020 1:41 pm

jonpines wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:52 pm
This was quick...
wait this video just taught me that the 0-coast has dynamic gate volume response. I had no idea.
How can I send diff gate "strengths" from my modular to it like the 0-control does? anyone know?
woudl gate Width from Pam's do anything?

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue May 05, 2020 1:43 pm

xcc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:15 pm
Has there been any mention of improvements for the touch plates for people that were unloved by the OG Rene and Pressure Pants?
This is fixed in René 2 so there's no reason it's not fixed here too

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue May 05, 2020 1:45 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:41 pm
wait this video just taught me that the 0-coast has dynamic gate volume response. I had no idea.
How can I send diff gate "strengths" from my modular to it like the 0-control does? anyone know?
I don't know of EG modules that scales their generated enveloped depending on the input gate strength. But you could just mult that gate to a VCA CV input, send the envelope to the VCA in, and grab your scaled envelope from the VCA out.

Edit: sorry, I got your question wrong. To send scaled gates to 0-coast you could simply use a parallel CV sequence as strength, and multiply it with the sequencer gate output using a VCA, before sending it to the 0-coast.

Edit 2: now I have to try it using the SQ-1, ahahah.
Last edited by joeSeggiola on Tue May 05, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Gear”