Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Something new from Make Noise coming?

Post by mmontazeri » Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am

shredsickgnar wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:23 am
shredsickgnar wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:22 pm
Yeah I definitely think its some kind of 8 step sequencer with touch control and an interesting way of addressing, or jumping to, different steps.

Pressure points is 20hp and 4 steps. So if this is 8 steps i could totally see it being a stand alone 45hp like the 0-coast. I'd assume a much more expanded/different functionality than PP, or even Rene if its 45hp.
What do I win? Nothing. Darn, it was fun playing though.
feels like some insider info, tbh

qu.one
hypnotic and sanctified

Post by qu.one » Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am

no built in midi output is a shame. this could breathe new life into non-modular gear.
--------------------------------------------
Qu.One Instagram
Qu.One Bandcamp
Qu.One on YouTube Music

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler

Post by beepnsleep » Tue May 05, 2020 11:28 am

this is a lot more interesting than I expected

gegeartist
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gegeartist » Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am

Very interesting. I'm gonna to buy it

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Tue May 05, 2020 11:30 am

colossus wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:08 am
Anyone know anything?
Thanks for putting this thread together. You should change the name of the subject line to "Make Noise 0-Ctrl" or something now that we know what it is.

Who here is getting this?

Curious as to your thoughts on:
Do you think this will hurt their Pressure Points sales?
Do you think this will hurt their Rene sales?
Would it dissuade you from either of those purchases? I know PP and Rene are different but there is a little bit of overlap. Personally, I love the choices.

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Tue May 05, 2020 11:31 am

Did they say when it's available? I'm on a meeting and can't wait the video and i neeeeed to knoowwww

jfloftin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jfloftin » Tue May 05, 2020 11:36 am

chiasticon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 am
dear Make Noise: I have a shared system and a skiff full of your modules. I like them. now you made something very cool that I wish I could put into the skiff as a replacement for 2 pressure points and a brains, but you had to go and make it non-eurorack. so... no money for you.
I can really understand your frustration with this new device. If I had sunk the funds in a shared system (which are excellent systems) I would feel the same way.

I have a mixed Eurorack system with a few Make Noise, Sputnik Modular, Harvestman, Intellijel, etc.. This I will get later on...

Enjoy it folks, and I look forward to your sounds and videos!

joeSeggiola
Common Wiggler

Post by joeSeggiola » Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 am

orangehexagon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:31 am
Did they say when it's available? I'm on a meeting and can't wait the video and i neeeeed to knoowwww
Makenoise are confident these will be shipping in the next 2-3 weeks and its priced at $399 US. (source)

markincork
Learning to Wiggle

Post by markincork » Tue May 05, 2020 11:38 am

B0bcat wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 am
.. Four times better than SQ-1? ;-)
With stackables ;)

CiDE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CiDE » Tue May 05, 2020 11:39 am

What would make it legendary is for the individual step trig outs to be diode-isolated (a la sequantizer) so that you can program rhythmic gates via pulse train.

This makes getting a 0-coast and making an album with it much more reasonable, at least for me.
"Coming next from Music Thing Modular is a dual sample and hold module that is reminiscent of the 259. Allesandro Cortini is using four on the NIN tour."
- Tom Whitwell's Module Generator, 2020.

Roge Piltoney
Common Wiggler

Post by Roge Piltoney » Tue May 05, 2020 11:46 am

literally JUST bought a pair of pressure points and brains... :doh:
Check out my new live performance video series, "Sh'mi". I'll be posting videos every week.
Sh'mi (shuh-MEE) means "my name" in (somewhat archaic) hebrew.
This is an exploration, an active experiment, into the Self.
Experiments in soundscapes, labyrinths, and generative sonic puzzle-songs ensue...

latest video:

theboywho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theboywho » Tue May 05, 2020 11:52 am

intuitionnyc wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:30 am
Who here is getting this?

Curious as to your thoughts on:
Do you think this will hurt their Pressure Points sales?
Do you think this will hurt their Rene sales?
Would it dissuade you from either of those purchases? I know PP and Rene are different but there is a little bit of overlap. Personally, I love the choices.
I was planning on getting a couple of PP and a brains in a 4ms pod, I wanted something with a different workflow than the Digitakt I'm using for sequencing, but didn't want to sacrifice the rack space, and also wanted something I could use with just my 0-Coast when needed. I guess it will dissuade me from the PP, but on the other hand this is exactly what I'm after, and I'll likely get it earlier than I would have done, as I was pretty much about to buy a SQ-1 for the time being.
Hopefully I'll be able to run it off the powerbank I'm using with my 0-coast so I can use them both in the garden.

second_breakfast
Common Wiggler

Post by second_breakfast » Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 am

chiasticon wrote:
dear Make Noise: I have a shared system and a skiff full of your modules. I like them. now you made something very cool that I wish I could put into the skiff as a replacement for 2 pressure points and a brains, but you had to go and make it non-eurorack. so... no money for you.
I’d imagine that you can do the same power adapter hack used to mount a 0-coast in euro rack. It voids your warranty but if you want this in a rack it should be possible.
Youtube: Second Breakfast Instagram: Sec0nd_Breakfast_ Modular Grid: "The Double Dragon"

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Tue May 05, 2020 11:57 am

nihile_tropes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nihile_tropes » Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm

chiasticon wrote:
I feel you. This thing would be a strong contender for the center spot in the bottom row of the rack but now, not so much. :despair:
There's just something about a compact, yet holistic system that a bundle of individual units can't come close to. Also, I'd rather not carry separate pieces with me.

Athair
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Athair » Tue May 05, 2020 12:02 pm

First post - glad to finally join!

I’ve got really mixed feelings on this. I’ve got an 0-coast and love the form factor. I also really like the idea of having more expressive control in modular. I don’t mind that’s it’s standalone but the option to rack it like a M32 or DFAM would have been cool and I’m not sure what the reasoning is for not doing it?

The biggest issue I have is the strange mental shift that happens as soon as you pull something out of the rack. $399 inside the rack for something like this seems perfectly reasonable. As soon as you make it standalone though you inevitably end up comparing it to some other really capable devices for similar money. Totally different paradigm from most other devices but the lack of quantisation or more than one sequencer channel makes it hard to justify vs a Keystep/SQ-1/BSP plus change.

chachi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chachi » Tue May 05, 2020 12:06 pm

i have not been this excited for a MN product in awhile. after trying to replace my PP&brains with an NLC bindubba i have been missing the PP/B. the flexibility of having the three rows simultaneously available is awesome, and this basically takes the 2xPP, adds brains and some other stuff and puts it in a pod, which is what i really wanted. the touch pad sensitivity is my only big complaint so hoping they improved it on this, but even if it’s only slightly improved this is still a must buy for me.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Tue May 05, 2020 12:08 pm

I would love the 0-coast+ctrl in a teeny case by themselves, it would be incredibly cool to just jam on!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 05, 2020 12:12 pm

As it turned out, 0-Control really is an elaboration of 2 x Pressure Points + Brains. The features and function are very close indeed. Mainly, 0-Control adds a clock and gives each step some ability to modulate that clock (or modulate how the step responds to the clock). The relation of the TIME feature and the clock, and its range, remains a little unclear to me. That feature, as Tony explains in the Sonic State video, is MARF-inspired. The rest of this—like Pressure Points—inherits more from the Serge TKB lineage.

I would not want to mount this in my rack and would prefer its slim standalone implementation, but obviously that will vary depending on one’s setup.
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Tue May 05, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ModusOp » Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 pm

MossGarden wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:08 pm
I would love the 0-coast+ctrl in a teeny case by themselves, it would be incredibly cool to just jam on!
Agreed! Would like to see a custom case to Velcro them in that flips open and lays flat, but closes and has a handle.

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 pm

How much more do you get here vs. a Rene II?
I realize the Rene is $200 US more, but seems pretty powerful.
I only have a Rene(I) and have not looked at much of what Rene II is capable of due to shrinking pocket syndrome and just plain disappointment at the huge influx of new gear within a year of spending way too much. (much for sale soon, I guess)
Any opinions on Rene II vs. this?

EDIT: "elaboration" of 2 pressure points and a brains?
I have that, I guess I don't know how to use pressure points very well either
Last edited by Foghorn on Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Tue May 05, 2020 12:18 pm

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Øcoast+Øcontrol and an octatrack sounds like a super fun combo.

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm

edit: *sorry, never mind*
Last edited by Corrupt on Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm

Foghorn, I don’t see PP+Brains or 0-Control as all that similar to Rene 2. They work differently and excel at different things.

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Tue May 05, 2020 12:24 pm

The strenght control is cool enough to add to my 0 Coast, to me it's not clear if a step can be entirely jumped/deactivated when time knob is at zero.

Return to “General Gear”