Never meet your heroes

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Never meet your heroes

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am

Have you experienced finally getting your hands on a piece of gear you'd been lusting after- or were inspired by for ages and being deeply disappointed by what you found yourself with?

I had this with the TB303.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Never meet your heroes

Post by dubonaire » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:19 am

I really don't know how anyone can not have fun with a 303.

Every instrument I've bought has exceeded my expectations.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:25 am

Like fifteen years ago I had the chance to borrow a bunch of the classics from an acquaintance. TB303, Mono/Poly, Pro One, MS-20, Minimoog, etc etc. that was great for me. I learned that the classics are quite boring and I’ve never lusted for them again.

TB303 has a rather unique sound though. These days there are great substitutions but back then every available 303-like product was laughable.
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:06 am

ARP Odyssey Mk. 2 (2813) -- I used to think it had to be good because Klaus Schulze used one of these as well.

Never warmed up to it, never regretted selling it.

Same thing with the ARP Omni Mk. 1. I hated it the minute I turned it on. Took me six years to find a buyer for it...

Stephen

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:12 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am
Have you experienced finally getting your hands on a piece of gear you'd been lusting after- or were inspired by for ages and being deeply disappointed by what you found yourself with?

Lol you couldnt have bought any of the 10000 303 clones out there to see if you get on with it before getting the real thing?

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:25 am

Back in the 1990s, the 2600 & Minimoog more than exceeded my high expectations. The VCS3 and MS20, um, did not...

On a related note, am pleased to see the humble Akai S950 become a classic. When I bought my pair, the S950 was the Akai most people bought because they couldn't afford an S1000. Indeed, I part-exchanged mine in 1993 for an S3200 only to buy them back the following week. An expensive change of mind but S950s are still the foundation of much of my music.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:39 am

Am sad to have passed on my s900, and even sadder that I can't buy one back at less than4 times the price I sold it for. Live and learn.

303 - I went with a clone to scratch that itch - it may have been a poor clone (reputation says not) but I didn't gel with it all all. Flipped very quickly.

I kind of miss this one, though ultimately I sold my MB6582 and kept my monomachine, who's emulation was enough for me not to have to battle the interface and missmatched levels old SID chips bring. It was a cool box though.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:41 am

Oh and Octatrack - i'd long dreamed of a full elektron sampler since playing with the MDUW. I still have the Machinedrum, don't get me started on the Octatrack.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 am

tIB wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:39 am
303 - I went with a clone to scratch that itch - it may have been a poor clone (reputation says not) but I didn't gel with it all all.
The x0xb0x is a good clone and there has been others since (the Behringer one, no doubt) but back in the day this was the level you could expect:

:eel:
New track! Drum synthesis and melodies. ✨

svks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by svks » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 am

Always been a fan of 303 but didn't like its sequencer at first, because it was hard to program but after some time I got used to it. 808 is another thing, Bass Drum needs a bit of saturation to sound good, otherise it's weak and inefficient imo.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:12 am

The closest I had to this was the Blofeld. Not a hero synth, as such, but the specs made it seem like it would be the perfect synth for me. Wavetables, FM, PPG emu filters, mods galore etc. Finally got one and found it surprisingly tedious to program (and I don't mind programming the D-05) and sonically pretty "meh". Plus I'm pretty sure the LFOs had no free-running option. In the end, I could not see the justification for it over Largo or the PPG Wave plugin and sold it.

CRMVMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CRMVMT » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:32 am

Just yesterday I was watching the Freemasons guy on YouTube collecting samples from 909 and 808 and making a beat out of them. While handling the 808, he said that when plugged in it is not the power machine that people often expect it to be. The sounds you've been listening on your favourite records are heavily processed.

CRMVMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CRMVMT » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:35 am

For myself, I couldn't wrap my head around the MPC1000. I thought owning an MPC would blow my mind.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:56 am

CRMVMT wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:32 am
Just yesterday I was watching the Freemasons guy on YouTube collecting samples from 909 and 808 and making a beat out of them. While handling the 808, he said that when plugged in it is not the power machine that people often expect it to be. The sounds you've been listening on your favourite records are heavily processed.
That's my experience as well - when I borrowed an 808 and listened to its raw output, I was not that impressed.

It's a bit like seeing a movie/rock star somewhere on the street, versus seeing the same person in a movie/video in the best out of dozens of well rehearsed takes with great camera work, lighting, make up, sound fx & music etc.

äggmedskägg
Common Wiggler

Post by äggmedskägg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:17 am

Yeah, my Waldorf Microwave. You should in theory be able to do cool things by sweeping through the wavetables, and the wavetables should enable it to do loads of things. I find that most of the tables sound pretty much the same, and instead of sweeping the table you can just sweep the filter and the get same effect, pretty much. It just seems very hard to get any sound out from that doesn't sound like a virtual analog, which is kinds strange, since it's pretty much the opposite, digital with an analog filter.

Not to talk about the Access Programmer for the Microwave. I really doesn't help.

I probably shouldn't say that. I probably should tell everyone how amazing they are and then sell them. :-)
Last edited by äggmedskägg on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:23 am

OP1, I squeezed some good stuff out of it but it always just felt and sounded so hollow. Maybe it was too much crammed into such a little space, I found the same problem with the ER-301, they made me feel claustrophobic to work with.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:26 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:12 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am

Lol you couldnt have bought any of the 10000 303 clones out there to see if you get on with it before getting the real thing?
You are making an incorrect assumption. I've been in love with Acid (music) since me early teens. I dj'ed for a couple of years already when I got in contact with a local electronic music artist and went over to jam on the gear in his studio (I didn't own anything besides DJ decks and a mixer). First thing I went for was the 303 and based on my reaction he recognized the disappointment and laughed. "Try the SH-101 mate" was what he said in response and after apprehensively playing it I very quickly realized what it was exactly the sounds of that instrument which I was after. That said I have used several TB303 software emulations to good effect, but it is definitely not the hero instrument I thought it to be. I always remember this experience whan I have GAS.

>

Some very interesting comparable experiences shared already, thanks for chipping in everyone.
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 am

Raw TR-808 is the very 1980s electro or hiphop sound.
808 with some overdrive and it is a monster you can still use today. My favourite is to pair it with a Boss BX mixer. Thats right, run the $4000 drum machine through a $60 mixer.

I've found most of the "vintage classics" are _the best_ at maybe 2 or 3 things, and then mediocre at a lot of other things. Especially if you try to make music across various styles. If you can only afford a few pieces of kit they will probably not make a good fit for you because they'll cost 90% of your budget but provide 10% of your sounds, then sit there until you feel frustrated and sell it.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:52 am

th0mas wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 am
808 with some overdrive and it is a monster you can still use today. My favourite is to pair it with a Boss BX mixer. Thats right, run the $4000 drum machine through a $60 mixer.
My "issue" with this is that once you start seriously overdriving things, you may as well use samples or a clone like the RD8, as most of the subtleties will be out the window anyway. Same with a 303 btw. So then I don't see the point of laying down megabucks for the OGs anymore. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:58 am

J0ris wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:52 am
th0mas wrote:
My "issue" with this is that once you start seriously overdriving things, you may as well use samples or a clone like the RD8, as most of the subtleties will be out the window anyway. Same with a 303 btw. So then I don't see the point of laying down megabucks for the OGs anymore. But correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd agree but would add that sometimes it's the workflow options and/or limitations of a device which define a particular genre or artists music.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 am

Im way more into modern gear. Everything is coming jammed packed with a huge mod matrix, built-in effects (some outstanding), sequencers, positive and negative parameters, motion sequencing, hybrid models, CV compatibility, etc.

Dont get me wrong, I’ve had tons of classic and when I had them they were lusted after, but 2015 and beyond there have been some insane gear thats been pumped out as well as close recreations of what were unobtainable classics.
TOO FAR GONE

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:31 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 am
tIB wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:39 am
303 - I went with a clone to scratch that itch - it may have been a poor clone (reputation says not) but I didn't gel with it all all.
The x0xb0x is a good clone and there has been others since (the Behringer one, no doubt) but back in the day this was the level you could expect:

:eel:
I had a xox with a load of 'killer mods' - it was rubbish. Strangely enough I've always wanted something like that syntechno for that hollow square wave bass sound you can get from it at low-medium res. The MAM mb33 to be precise - not sure if it's even the exact same but of kit? Not the greatest of 303 emulations though.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:36 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:13 am
Im way more into modern gear. Everything is coming jammed packed with a huge mod matrix, built-in effects (some outstanding), sequencers, positive and negative parameters, motion sequencing, hybrid models, CV compatibility, etc.

Dont get me wrong, I’ve had tons of classic and when I had them they were lusted after, but 2015 and beyond there have been some insane gear thats been pumped out as well as close recreations of what were unobtainable classics.
No disappointing modern heroes yet?

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 am

J0ris wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:52 am
th0mas wrote:
I haven't tried a RD8, but I sold my first 808 thinking I could overdrive samples and get the same result. I couldn't. I probably could if I spent another 20 hours finding the right samples and the right way to play them, but the real 808 into the BX gives a result more pleasing than any attempts I made to replicate the effect. So when an OG showed up nearby I bought another one.

And that's the other benefit of the vintage classics. Most of them have some great sweet spots and you can dial it in very quickly.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:23 am

I think I’ve had this experience with almost every classic because it takes time to find all of the classic sounds. Often they require a bit of programming that wouldn’t be obvious from just looking at the front panel, or from how I imagined using it. I also get the feeling occasionally that if something is capable of one sound, it should be capable of more and when I actually use it, it’s much more limited to a few sweet spots. That’s ok though, it’s usually me, not the instrument and I eventually get on with it. There are two exceptions to this: instruments like the Juno 106 that are impossible to make sound bad, and certain instruments that are fundamentally flawed and I cannot get along with after a year of using. The latter are almost always eurorack modules.
New video on the MN Shared System:
Make Noise Shared System Tutorial 1: Patch Backwards

Return to “General Gear”