Dave Smith hints at Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4/Prophet 10

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Dave Smith hint of a new synth coming up in August

Post by anselmi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

3hands wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:14 am
Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:54 am
3hands wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 am
I remember seeing the CS1x when it came out, and fell in love with its looks. Shame about the sounds though
I had the CS1x and the CS2x and thought both sounded good. Gave the 2x away a year ago to someone who was buying another unit from me because I lost the power supply.
I thought it looked cracking.. the screen was a Bit small, but I remember seeing the review in Future Music and was so excited to try it. I went down to my local music store once it came out and gave it a shot and really enjoyed the sounds then!

Heard it again in 2017 and I was disappointed in how the sounds had aged. Again, super individual opinion. I would love to hear what you did with it!!
maybe they are not old enough to become interesting again...the older ROMplers have a lot of charm instead

rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 am
Orange wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:43 pm
3hands wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:12 am
twentyfive2lyfe wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:34 am
daveholiday wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 am
steffengrondahl wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:02 am
loydb wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:58 am
I just bought an OB-6, so that should guarantee they announce the OB-12 next week.
Unlikely. The OB-12 all ready exists:

I guess Dave Smith might come up with a new OB (probably and hopefully in collaboration with Tome Oberheim) at some time, but I have the feeling this will be a "pure" sequential product. And something new, so not a desktop version af the Prophet X or Pro 3.

I still have my money on a multitimbral keyboard synth (a nod back to the Six-Track). Second guess: And updated Prophet-6 with 61 keys, 8 voices and perhaps a second LFO and/or polyphonic aftertouch, but not a helle lot of modulation possibilities like the Rev 2.
I remember that synth....although not much to do with Oberheim. I used to play it occasionally at a local music store back in the day. Ended up with a Nord Rack instead. Still liked the blue color though.....still have the Nord Rack as well!
Half the reason I want a Super 6 is the blue color. Was kind of waiting to see what DSI came out with before placing a pre-order for one, though.
I remember seeing the CS1x when it came out, and fell in love with its looks. Shame about the sounds though
It was a trap. I hated the CS1x.
Is the "new pyramid" going to have a big blue synth in the middle?
That would be killer.

Orange
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Orange » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Orange
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Orange » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:18 pm

After months of clandestine development, Sequential today announced the reintroduction of its most famous and beloved instrument: the Prophet-5. Timed to coincide with Dave Smith’s 70th year, the instrument revisits a landmark era in American analog synthesizer design and marks an authentic and authoritative return to roots for the legendary pioneer of electronic instruments.

“It’s not often that you get to revisit your past, retrieve some of its magic, and give it new life,” said Dave Smith. “The Prophet-5 was one of the most exciting instruments to appear in an equally exciting time for music and technology. It’s gratifying to rediscover that its sound and aesthetics are just as appealing now as they were then.”

Faithful to the original, the new Prophet-5 features five voices with two multi-waveform analog oscillators, resonant analog low-pass filters and amplifiers, and a filter and amplifier envelope per voice. Modulation is provided by a multi-waveshape LFO and Poly Mod, a ground-breaking modulation scheme for its time that allowed the filter envelope and oscillator B to be routed to a variety of destinations including filter cutoff frequency, oscillator A frequency, and oscillator A pulse width.

The new Prophet-5 features original, genuine Curtis VCOs and filters as used in the Prophet-5 Rev3, as well as the Dave Rossum-designed SSI 2140 filter, the modern counterpart of the original SSM 2040 Rossum designed in the Prophet-5 Rev1 and Rev2. “We made the new Prophet-5 the best of all Prophets by embodying all three revisions of the original. We did this by adding a Rev switch to the front panel, so you can choose your preferred filter.”

Smith continued, “We also researched what made the original P-5 sound the way it did — organic and alive — and found that a lot of that desirable character was due to fluctuations and differences in the response times and frequencies of the individual oscillators, filters, and envelopes from voice to voice. So we also added a Vintage knob that loosens all of them up like they were in the old days. You can dial in progressively more vintage character as you go from a very stable “4,” as in Prophet-5 Rev4, all the way to “1,” as in Prophet-5 Rev1, which was the most temperamental of all Prophet-5s. We’ve even included the original factory sound set for the full vintage experience.”

Other modern enhancements include velocity sensitivity and aftertouch to increase expressiveness, as well as MIDI and USB connectivity. Control voltage and gate ins/outs are also present for connecting modular synths and other gear. The new Prophet-5 is housed in a collector-worthy, premium-quality, steel and hand-oiled sustainable black walnut heartwood body, with a full, five-octave, semi-weighted Fatar keybed.

Sequential is simultaneously offering the Prophet-10, a ten-voice version of the synthesizer with the same sound engine and collector-worthy design. “I originally designed the first Prophet in both five-voice and ten-voice versions. But the five-voice model was the one that achieved mass production. We thought it would be fun and fitting to reintroduce the ten-voice as well, to make the circle complete.” Sequential Circuits’ later product, the dual-manual, bi-timbral Prophet-10, was a different instrument in both concept and execution.

Both models will be available in October. The Prophet-5 has a US MAP of $3,499. The Prophet-10 has a US MAP of $4,299.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:20 pm

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:35 pm

Oh wow

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Very cool. If I hadn’t just bought a Prophet 6 a couple months ago I might have saved up for this. I’d probably be bugged by the 5 voice polyphony, but still, this is cool, and people with the $ can shell out for the 10 voice version.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:39 pm

wow :party: :hail:

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 pm

I own an OB6

Glad I'll never have the Prophet-5 vs. Prophet-6 dilemma :lol:

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:44 pm

"We're the only ones qualified to make a Rev.4"

Meaning: back off Uli :goo:

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:46 pm

OMG!!!! The punchline was brilliant. Previous posts the video was still playing

Prophet-10 as well!!!!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:49 pm

tioJim wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 pm
I own an OB6

Nooo you want that Prophet 10 to accompany the OB6
Gaun Yersel!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Prophet 10 might be the best analogue polysynth to come out in decades.
Soundcloud has low mp3 quality, so can't really comment about the sound. But I like the tones that I am hearing.

4299bucks for 10 analog voices, that are most probably going to be in tune as well ;)

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:09 pm

This is very cool. The price is not that bad if you keep the darn thing and use it for the 10-20 years. Stings a little at first. This is a really tough call for me. I never shell out big bucks for synths.. Anyways, excited for everyone that ends up getting the chance to have one. And I really love the Matriarch.

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:11 pm

Aaaaaand I just preordered the 10

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:21 pm

Just :wow: I would like to hear demoes of how the vintage knob gives character. It could be really cool and be adding the imperfections many of the new poly synth miss.
Oh ... and the look :loves:

tigerhill
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tigerhill » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm

anselmi wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:20 pm
The ending though.... “I just turned 70 ...so this is it. This is my birthday present to the world”

How could you not love and appreciate this man for all he has done. Chills.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:49 pm
tioJim wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 pm
I own an OB6

Nooo you want that Prophet 10 to accompany the OB6
No indeed! I meant, if one already owned a P6 (having debated between P6 and OB6 as many do) you might be torn about whether to ever buy a P5 given you already had a P6. I'll have no such dilemma, should I ever be shopping for a Prophet ... God that was long-winded. I think it lost a bit in translation :goo:

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Sounds great over here

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:57 pm

i think this is great, but i don't see the big difference from the P6. Is it mainly the VCO and filter chips? are these differences worth a grand more?

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Wow. Okay, that looks like a whole lot of really, really smart choices all adding up. The 1/2-3 filter options, the rev 1-2-3-4 behavior control, the 5 or 10 voice option, adding velocity and aftertouch... This does look very good.

I do not need another polysynth. I do not need another polysynth. I do not need another polysynth.....

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm

If I win the lottery, this is IT, all 10 voices.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

jjsynth
Common Wiggler

Post by jjsynth » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:03 pm

I guess I must have this... Just for the look of it alone, I always admired its classic design. Like the Mini...

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Check out the J3PO demo. It sounds very authentic with effects - instant Japan/Sakamoto. Or Icehouse, if you like that sort of thing ... ;)

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:32 pm

Licudi wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:17 pm
Check out the J3PO demo. It sounds very authentic with effects - instant Japan/Sakamoto. Or Icehouse, if you like that sort of thing ... ;)
Yeah, even with effects it just sounds ridiculous.

2020: the year the Prophet-5 and OB-X (VS-1) are both available to buy new. As I live and breathe :woah:

Return to “General Gear”