Korg Arp 2600 Arrival Date

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Korg Arp 2600 Arrival Date

Post by Synth Con Meo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 pm

langley wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:15 pm
I got let down on my order - the shop got fewer than expected. I was slightly miffed but have seen a post showing inside the synth and was a bit surprised to see it is SMD, not through hole as the original would have been. Not so miffed now. But still a bit miffed.
I had my order cancelled too. I think for the same reason. I am just hoping that eventually they might make more.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:01 pm

thispoison wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:56 pm
Ain't it funny how a similar point can be made with different words and yet one feels sneering and negative and the other is honest and funny!
They felt different because they were making opposite points. Snarky negative of too much for so empty vs. Positive appreciation of value in spite of size, weight and shipping cost.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:22 pm

I guess so. I read it as the M5N was full of empty space, yet still worthwhile.

My bad.
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:17 pm

thispoison wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:22 pm
I guess so. I read it as the M5N was full of empty space, yet still worthwhile.
My bad.
?? Me too. "Positive appreciation of value in spite of size, weight and shipping cost." <-- is about the M5. Thought that was clear since the 2600 comment was definitely negative.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm

The similar point I was referencing was that it was an empty box in both cases. Both posters noted and agreed on the empty box, one saw that as a point of ridicule, the other as an inconvenient fact that didn't undermine the synth format and value (and as you've said about the 2600, is a key element). So to me they were making the same point/observation, but with a very different analysis of it.

I'm not very good on the tinter web!
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:26 pm

thispoison wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm
I'm not very good on the tinter web!
Nah, You're good!
it *is* funny how we both saw two parts the same and two parts different. And then each put our focus on the opposite set of those parts from the other. We've been saying the same thing. :sb:

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:27 pm

I read online today someone posting on YouTube confused about the MIDI/sync saying the Korg ARP 2600 has no way to sync the arp / sequencer. That is wrong as I had suspected, and was confirmed by Korg after emailing them.

Near the sample and hold section there is EXT CLOCK IN that overrides the global clock and electronic switch. All you need is a MIDI -> 3.5mm cable like the one that comes with the Make Noise 0-Coast and it should be good to go.

Here's the English manual, page 15 : https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... n%2Fpdf%3B

Not sure if that's relevant to anyone. Would be hard to imagine a non-syncable $4,00 synth in 2020. Let's hope it works as I described...

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Divinital_ wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:27 pm
I read online today someone posting on YouTube confused about the MIDI/sync saying the Korg ARP 2600 has no way to sync the arp / sequencer. That is wrong as I had suspected, and was confirmed by Korg after emailing them.

Near the sample and hold section there is EXT CLOCK IN that overrides the global clock and electronic switch. All you need is a MIDI -> 3.5mm cable like the one that comes with the Make Noise 0-Coast and it should be good to go.

Here's the English manual, page 15 : https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... n%2Fpdf%3B

Not sure if that's relevant to anyone. Would be hard to imagine a non-syncable $4,00 synth in 2020. Let's hope it works as I described...

It doesn't look like that will do what you are trying to do ....

yes, you can override the S/H internal clock with an external clock, and you can then trigger the EGs from that by setting the EG trigger source switch to S/H instead of KYBD, but that just gives you note on/off, it doesn't override the arpeggiator pattern rate control because that is not dictated by the S/H, it is controlled from within the keyboard. It doesn't look like there is any way to externally control the rate of the arpeggiator's note pattern rate.

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:23 pm
Divinital_ wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:27 pm

It doesn't look like that will do what you are trying to do ....

yes, you can override the S/H internal clock with an external clock, and you can then trigger the EGs from that by setting the EG trigger source switch to S/H instead of KYBD, but that just gives you note on/off, it doesn't override the arpeggiator pattern rate control because that is not dictated by the S/H, it is controlled from within the keyboard. It doesn't look like there is any way to externally control the rate of the arpeggiator's note pattern rate.
Interesting. Then the Korg rep must've been mistaken...

Good thing I've played guitar for long enough I've always been used to tap tempo and aligning rhythms... Should be interesting with a synthesizer. This is going to be a very organic beast to use. I expect to have my bit of hassle with it when using it in a quantized track. All part of the human/robot fun.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Note to synth manufacturers: An arpeggiator should always be syncable to external MIDI and external CV/gate, and it should always TRANSMIT the arpeggio signal via MIDI and CV. I don't understand why so many synths have arpeggiators that can't transmit their note pattern to other synths!

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:38 pm
Note to synth manufacturers: An arpeggiator should always be syncable to external MIDI and external CV/gate, and it should always TRANSMIT the arpeggio signal via MIDI and CV. I don't understand why so many synths have arpeggiators that can't transmit their note pattern to other synths!
I agree in general. Seems more like a noodling tool than anything useful for a final product.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:49 pm

Divinital_ wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 pm
Dave Peck wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:38 pm
I agree in general. Seems more like a noodling tool than anything useful for a final product.
Also agree in general, but don't think that means it's not useful. Looking at it from Korg's perspective during the project development it could simply have been something extra to offer at low cost in dev. time and effort. Going full-on with it might have introduced all kinds of issues we don't know about. Since the 2600 is a good noodling tool already, it makes sense.

If we demand everything offered has the highest implementation of every feature, we're going to miss out on things like this arpeggiator. Can't it be a nice but un-necessary extra instead of a poorly implemented feature? After all, the original 3620 didn't have it at all!

it's a bit like expecting all analog VCOs to have the same stability and range as digital. And then complaining that the ones which do are too clinical and have lost their analog-ness.

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:05 am

Of course it’s like a sketch pad, if you want more send it midi. What’s the problem?
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:37 am

My point wasn't about the 2600 in particular, I was pointing out that it seems like there are a whole lot of synths with arpeggiators that don't transmit via MIDI. I think only one of my synths can do this (Nord G2) and even that one requires a 'work around' by creating a virtual patch that sends KYBD control to a virtual 'midi out' module. These synths generate their arp signal for their own internal synth engine via MIDI, by processing their internal digital KYBD SCAN signal, so why not just send that same MIDI signal out of the synth? Seems like it would actually be simpler to send the same signal instead of a different, non-arpeggio midi signal (a polyphonic chord of the same notes).

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:05 am

pelican wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:05 am
Of course it’s like a sketch pad, if you want more send it midi. What’s the problem?
It’s $4,000 and can’t do something most $100 modern devices can do (including the Korg Nu Tekt) which can also arbitrarily be considered a sketch pad AS WELL as a syncable performance tool. I’m stating a fact. Take it how you will.

If you feel the need to argue further, know it won’t be with me over facts.

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am

Yeah, and anyone that can afford a $4000 synth has better external sequencers. So what? Be glad they included anything at all because they certainly didn't have to in order for these to sell.
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:43 am

pelican wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am
Yeah, and anyone that can afford a $4000 synth has better external sequencers. So what? Be glad they included anything at all because they certainly didn't have to in order for these to sell.
:lol:

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Prophet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am

Can that be adjusted by a firmware upgrade (if the keyboard has some kind of firmware)? If so it would be a good idea to make a such request to Korg.

I still waiting and longing for my Arp 2600 FS, checking the status about every day (ordered at Thomann, Germany).
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Analog Prophet wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am
Can that be adjusted by a firmware upgrade (if the keyboard has some kind of firmware)? If so it would be a good idea to make a such request to Korg.

I still waiting and longing for my Arp 2600 FS, checking the status about every day (ordered at Thomann, Germany).
nah bro no one wants that, use your externals

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:20 am

Response from Korg after I told them what they claimed wouldn't do what I asked.

"Hi _____,

I do have great news for you.

You could sync the arp/sequencer of the ARP2600 to an external MIDI clock by using MIDI – connect the ARP2600 to your external MIDI device via MIDI.

Best regards,

Product Support
KORG USA Inc.
"

Can anyone that received their unit test this? I mean, I've read claims online it can't be, but has anyone actually tried it?

It makes sense that it wouldn't work since the arp/sequencer comes from the keyboard...

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Prophet » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:23 pm

Then there are MIDI sync clock after all?
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Analog Prophet wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:23 pm
Then there are MIDI sync clock after all?
This is what Korg has said, however it doesn't make much sense. But I've read online in reviews it can't be. Perhaps they just didn't test it? Or perhaps the Korg rep has no idea.

I too have no idea who to believe, will just wait for mine to arrive without expectation.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Hmm. Well, it should be possible that a midi signal sent into the midi in connector on the side of the main cabinet will get routed upstream to the keyboard, and override the keyboard's LFO to sync the arpeggio to the external midi input, rather than just overriding the entire midi signal coming from the keyboard to the main cabinet.... But if that's true, what happens when you are sending midi notes to the 2600 and you play some keys on the 2600's keyboard? Which signal goes to the synth?

So that might cover SYNCING the 2600's own internal arpeggio to something else. But can it TRANSMIT that arpeggio of notes via midi to some other synth? I don't see any info in the user manual about this.

Divinital_
Common Wiggler

Post by Divinital_ » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:02 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:31 pm
Hmm. Well, it should be possible that a midi signal sent into the midi in connector on the side of the main cabinet will get routed upstream to the keyboard, and override the keyboard's LFO to sync the arpeggio to the external midi input, rather than just overriding the entire midi signal coming from the keyboard to the main cabinet.... But if that's true, what happens when you are sending midi notes to the 2600 and you play some keys on the 2600's keyboard? Which signal goes to the synth?

So that might cover SYNCING the 2600's own internal arpeggio to something else. But can it TRANSMIT that arpeggio of notes via midi to some other synth? I don't see any info in the user manual about this.
Probably the last thing on my list of concerns but it'd be nice to know for completeness' sake. I highly doubt it, I will be happy with syncing the arp and seq., anything else would be icing and something I'd likely never use. If I'm going to be using the sequencer/arp. it's going to be in order to play the 2600..

AutomaticGainsay
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AutomaticGainsay » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:36 pm

I get that people want to use sequencers, and yes, Korg pandered a bit to the market by putting a sequencer and an arpeggiator in the reproduction... but you literally DO NOT get to demand or expect these aspects in a recreation of a vintage synthesizer, and you CERTAINLY do not get to decry a faithful reproduction because it doesn't have your modern desires.
"Now, don't misquote me and say I'm against keyboards. I've been misquoted on that one enough. A keyboard is a useful input structure if what you want is rapid simultaneous access to a large number of sounds of fixed pitch, but it's much less useful for controlling some other aspects of sound."
-DB

Return to “General Gear”