Korg ARP 2600 availability

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg ARP 2600 availability

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:08 pm

StillNotWorking wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:54 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:37 pm
Also annoying that they made such a limited run of the ms-20 in module form...
NAMM 2020 had full size MS20 ready build. Only DIY kits where limited it seams. MS20-M where also DIY so...
NAMM 2021..... :party:
So many people want module forms of these synths...I mean people who actually want to use them, have limited space, etc... it all seems so silly.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm

doombient.music wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:52 pm
dopefiend wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:00 am
[…] Now what does interval latch mean?
Hold down a fifth on the keyboard, latch it, and you can play single notes with the resulting pitches a fifth apart. If you patch the Upper Voice output into a second oscillator, that is.

Stephen
Is there a device that "latches" except the interval changes in order to conform to a scale? IE the interval is transposed in key?

jdkJake
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdkJake » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 am

KSS wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:00 pm
But when Korg added their arpeggiator/sequencer functions, not adding a clock input for those is a missed opportunity. And there is much discussion online by those who feel its lack is a reason not to purchase this version. So for them it's a really big deal. breaker. What i'm saying is that the aftertouch jack in the upper left corner 'should' have a jack for Arp/Seq clock input next to it
A missed opportunity, no doubt. But a deal breaker? Really?

Seems like a weak rationalization to talk oneself out of the purchase.

The addition of the arpeggiator/sequencer is a nice extra and a quite unexpected bonus in my opinion. Certainly not a critical function to enjoying the main show, which is the entirety of the rest of the synthesizer.

northerntao
Learning to Wiggle

Post by northerntao » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm

TheDegenerateElite wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:33 am
Exactly. The flight case is the best option for shipping this synth. The main unit is 45 or so pounds and the kbd is another 20, with both needing to be in separate boxes.

You can use the flight case as a table for the synth. Put it up against a wall, with the casters off and put the 2600 on top. Use a simple x-stand for the keys in front of it. Table space and storage solved.
Yep, that's what I have in mind too. Will probably get a dust over or something lighter to cover it in the studio.

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm

jdkJake wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 am
The addition of the arpeggiator/sequencer is a nice extra and a quite unexpected bonus in my opinion. Certainly not a critical function to enjoying the main show, which is the entirety of the rest of the synthesizer.
Tend to agree.

Worth noting for those less technically inclined that adding the arpeggiator/sequencer was relatively cheap for Korg. They no doubt already had a microcontroller scanning the keyboard and producing control voltages and triggers/gates. They just had to add a bit of code to that for the arpeggiator/sequencer, and a rotary switch wired to the microcontroller. Almost no additional electronics beyond what they already had.

galanter2
Common Wiggler

Post by galanter2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:50 pm

galanter2 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm
doombient.music wrote:
dopefiend wrote:
Hold down a fifth on the keyboard, latch it, and you can play single notes with the resulting pitches a fifth apart. If you patch the Upper Voice output into a second oscillator, that is.

Stephen
Is there a device that "latches" except the interval changes in order to conform to a scale? IE the interval is transposed in key?
I guess you could just run the second voltage through a quantizer that understands keys and scales.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:52 pm

galanter2 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm
jdkJake wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 am
Tend to agree.
Oh, I quite agree with both of you.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am

galanter2 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm
doombient.music wrote:
dopefiend wrote:

Stephen
I'm no technician but the duophonic nature of the 3620 allows for putting out two different CVs at a time, measured by two resistor arrays -- voltages get just added or subtracted to the one "latched".

No idea how this works -- to me, this is magic happening inside this little box. Someone else might have a somewhat more scientific explanation for it.

Stephen

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:46 am

Was reading elsewhere that someone in Japan says they have now picked up their pre-ordered Korg 2600.

If true, we may start to see some of them landing worldwide soon? :party:
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 am

I was told by Kraft that mine would be available in April.
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

martimous
Common Wiggler

Post by martimous » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:03 am

GC gave me a ship date of 22 Feb on my pre-order. We'll see.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 pm

17th Jan was on my pre-order - clearly pulled out of the air and not something I was counting on. Would have been nice though!

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 pm

estin wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 pm
I predict Korg will produce plenty more but as non "LE" models. My guess is they will drop the keyboard and flight case and maybe change the panel color to the orange scheme.
I'm hoping that's what happens too: they'll say the "limited edition" version was the one with the flight case, and the non-limited FS will lack the case and maybe cost a little less. I doubt they'll sell a version without the keyboard, it's integral for most people IMO. Good point about the graphics, perhaps they'll end up doing what they did with the Odyssey reissue by offering multiple front panel options.

I was pretty psyched when this was first announced but but didn't bite on the preorder because the flight case seemed like a waste and I suspected that the "limited" thing was just a marketing move. Hope I wasn't wrong! I actually sold my original 2600 back in 2014 to fund the production run of the first Grayscale modules. One of the few bits of gear that I regret selling. Hopefully everyone who wants one will be able to get one eventually.

Analog Prophet
Common Wiggler

Post by Analog Prophet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 am

thispoison wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:46 am
Was reading elsewhere that someone in Japan says they have now picked up their pre-ordered Korg 2600.

If true, we may start to see some of them landing worldwide soon? :party:
If it’s true an amount of new Youtube clips from Japan containing the Arp 2600FS will pop up I guess.
The best beat of any music
is the beat of your own heart

http://www.analogprophet.com

oscarthesquirrel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oscarthesquirrel » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:22 am

Picked up mine Feb 6th and am really impressed with it...God knows where I'll store the flight case, but hey, that's the least of my worries.'

On the point of sync for the Sequencer/Arpeggiator...given that they are both clock dto the LFPO not he 3620, there must surely be some "simple" way of accessing this circuitry to add a switch to clock the LFO externally and disable the onboard LFO...??? Like others, I'm aghast at why a simply clock input couldn't be added... :despair:
"You can never have too many LFO's..."

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:40 pm

Congrats - glad it's arrived, first one on here to receive theirs I guess. Hope you enjoy it. :guinness:

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:06 pm

oscarthesquirrel wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:22 am
On the point of sync for the Sequencer/Arpeggiator...given that they are both clock dto the LFPO not he 3620, there must surely be some "simple" way of accessing this circuitry to add a switch to clock the LFO externally and disable the onboard LFO...??? Like others, I'm aghast at why a simply clock input couldn't be added... :despair:
Will you -please- be the first to remove six acorn nuts on the panel and 4 screws in the top handle so you can open the panel from the top like a clamshell, and by doing so show us all exactly how easily your desires may be fulfilled?

Place a patchcord end in both the preamp input and another in the right output to use as 'handles' to open the panel. A couple folded towels in the front of the main unit is the soft landing space for the panel. This procedure is quite simple, and does not hurt the synth in any way. But the photo(s) you can then take *will* answer *many* questions, and will show how easily or difficult your desired mod can be effected.

You'll be an internet synth hero and perhaps your photos will go viral! :guinness:

bayrumblues
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bayrumblues » Sun May 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Think Korg will make another run of these? It would be insane to own the rights to such a renowned instrument and only produce one limited run of them...

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sun May 03, 2020 5:07 pm

bayrumblues wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:57 pm
Think Korg will make another run of these? It would be insane to own the rights to such a renowned instrument and only produce one limited run of them...
I'd think that is possible (particularly given some other clones showing up). I would also think they would wait a bit though and let the jealousy factor build up a bit; you know get some people saying how much they love theirs.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sun May 03, 2020 8:58 pm

bayrumblues wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:57 pm
It would be insane to own the rights to such a renowned instrument and only produce one limited run of them...
Korg do not "own the rights" to the 2600. They own the rights to the ARP treble clef logo. Period.

Korg do not have any other legal rights to the 2600 over anybody else. There is nothing special about their product over any other besides its own inherent qualities. Reports are accumulating that in this regard they have done a good job. Best not confuse that with thinking it means they have special rights to the design. They don't. Except the treble clef logo.

Return to “General Gear”