Korg ARP 2600 availability

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Korg ARP 2600 availability

Post by ws9848 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:31 am

Efudd wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:38 am
I found out about the karp 2600 far too late for pre-orders and asked my sweewater rep to put me on the pre-order cancellation list as a hail mary in early march. I've bugged my rep every few weeks since with the normal message of 'still waiting' each time. Rep called and left a voicemail saying there was no update to be had yesterday afternoon.... 30 minutes later the rep sent an email saying a spot opened had just opened up and it was ready to ship. In theory it ships later today for arrival Friday. Woot.
The same thing happened to me yesterday. I was on the wait list since january 10th and I had given up then they called me up with some good news. I’ll be getting mine on friday too!

JensonCoins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JensonCoins » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm

jdkJake wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:23 am
deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:52 pm
I love it to the death. It's an awesome synth. Truely a legend.

The only thing I miss is that the arp/sequencer is not syncable.
I use the LFO square wave output on the 3620 keyboard to generate sync for other gear. Most notable, I sync my SQ-1 to the ARP in this manner. Works well. Nice side benefit is you can then clock the sq-1 at a rate far greater than the sq-1 can generate natively.
So. I am trying to piece together just what is and is not syncable on the FS. I have one, I love it, but the clocking is driving me crazy and Korg support has been crazy slow. The long and short of it is that nothing happens when adding clocks in the putting a clock in to EXT Clock In. Here's what I know and don't know (bear with me... and all help is SO appreciated).
  • Internal clock works perfect (i.e. controlling S/H clock normalled envelope trigger path)
  • If I patch from INT Clock OUT to S/H clock IN, everything also works
  • If I toggle to Keyboard Gate Trigger, and patch INT Clock OUT to gate in, this also works.
  • If I connect a square wave from one of the VCOs to S/H Gate IN, that works (i.e. frequency of VCO now controls envelope trigger rate)
  • If I toggle to Keyboard Gate Trigger, and connect same VCO square to gate in, that also works (i.e. frequency of VCO controls envelope trigger rate)
  • BUT, if I connect the same square wave to the EXT Clock IN, nothing happens. Only the Int clock functions and triggers S/H gate rate, only. The VCO frequency does nothing (i.e. it is not triggering, and changing the VCO frequency does nothing.
  • AND, if I connect ANY external clock or gate out from any other gear to either the EXT Clock IN, I get nothing.

Korg support did confirm the following voltage requirements (below), but it just feels like something is not right. Thoughts? Thanks!

EXT CLOCK IN (S&H trigger) - 3V or more
S/H GATE (EG trigger) - 14V or more

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Highest serial I have seen as of today is 1038.

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 pm

mmp wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:02 pm
Highest serial I have seen as of today is 1038.
One on twitter says SN 1640 on 9/2.

deft_bonz
Common Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 am

I just realized that I haven't noted my serial... it's 0558.

Wonder how many were made.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:22 am

What is the lowest SN seen?
Treat utility modules as stars instead of backup singers.
Treat power supplies like Rockstars instead of roadies!
Chase magic sound, not magic parts.

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 am

JensonCoins wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:29 pm
[
  • AND, if I connect ANY external clock or gate out from any other gear to either the EXT Clock IN, I get nothing.

Korg support did confirm the following voltage requirements (below), but it just feels like something is not right. Thoughts? Thanks!

EXT CLOCK IN (S&H trigger) - 3V or more
S/H GATE (EG trigger) - 14V or more
What external clock or gate are you using? What gear specifically? When I use the sq-1 gate to drive the 2600, the signal either needs to be amplified or sent through a processing feature on the 2600 to get the signal up to the proper level to be usable.

deft_bonz
Common Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:59 am

That's the same for the gate in signal. For instance Metropolis cannot trigger the envelope. It expects 10v. I need to amplify the gate.

Klanglab
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Klanglab » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Hi all,
My story is more or less the same as some of the above. Got a call from my dealer last Saturday that he got me a one. I was kind of surprised, hadn't counted on it anymore after waiting half a year. Now I'm unexpectedly 3999 euro's poorer, but: what a machine! Anything between sweet and totally brutal. And much to discover! Serial no is 1.009. I think they are making more of them than they planned. Some people may feel disappointed, as this synth becomes less exclusive. I don't care. Took a day off today top get to know the 2600 and there's already a 1.000 bucks worth of serotonine flowing through my brain.

JensonCoins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JensonCoins » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 pm

jdkJake wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 am
What external clock or gate are you using? What gear specifically? When I use the sq-1 gate to drive the 2600, the signal either needs to be amplified or sent through a processing feature on the 2600 to get the signal up to the proper level to be usable.
Thanks, I have tried the SQ1 Gate. What are you using to amplify on the 2600 to get to the right level? Also, that would only drive the envelope gate trigger, correct? Have you found anyway to successfully get a clock signal in to the 2600 Clock IN (and how are you confirming it's working correctly).

I have also used the clock out from a Moog Subharmonicon, and am going to move some stuff around to try and send a clock from Eurorack 4MS RCD.

Thanks much,
Ali

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm

JensonCoins wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 pm
jdkJake wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:29 am
Thanks, I have tried the SQ1 Gate. What are you using to amplify on the 2600 to get to the right level? Also, that would only drive the envelope gate trigger, correct? Have you found anyway to successfully get a clock signal in to the 2600 Clock IN (and how are you confirming it's working correctly).

I have also used the clock out from a Moog Subharmonicon, and am going to move some stuff around to try and send a clock from Eurorack 4MS RCD.

Thanks much,
Ali
My solution was to route the gate from the SQ-1 through the lag generator (jack 7) in the voltage processor section (did I mention I love the voltage processors?) and then route the output of the lag generator into the S/H gate under the AR generator. Set the switch downward, leave the lag at the minimum (slider all the way to the left).

You can actually use anything on board that has a buffered output. The preamp works, the ring modulator works and even the envelope follower works. All are buffered on their outputs. The envelope follower is particularly interesting as you get a trigger on both the rising and falling edge of the sync pulse. So, a nice double trigger is generated for each note.

On a side note, the SQ-1 is a fun addition to controlling the ARP. For real craziness, let the ARP internal sequencer control some of the oscillators and the SQ-1 control the others. Wild fun. With clever patching, you can even route the two gates through the electronic switch and have the gates swap back and forth. A truly trippy experience when two out of sync sequences are randomly gated by a noise source to switch between the two.

As I mentioned above, you can sync the SQ-1 to the ARP lfo/sequencer clock by patching the lfo square wave out from the keyboard (directly above the lfo speed slider) to the sync in jack on the SQ-1. Besides syncing the SQ-1 to the ARP, you can now control the rate of the SQ-1 sequence by the lfo speed slider on the ARP keyboard. What you will find is that you can clock the SQ-1 way faster than the internal clock of the SQ-1. Seriously faster. Worth checking out. Of note, when you sync like this, every note you play on the keyboard resets the lfo clock, which, introduces a stutter between steps. Might be bad, might be good, depends upon your perspective.

I have not tried pushing an external clock into the clock IN. I’ll give it a go next time I get the chance. Are you thinking of using that to clock the sample and hold?

JensonCoins
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JensonCoins » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:59 pm

EDIT: have patched it up as suggested and can confirm SQ1 will now trigger S/H gate IN, BUT oddly, only the A/R envelope. If you set the ADSR envelope as the slider for the VCA, nothing. If you do the AR, everything :) Thanks. It is currently playing away to itself like a beautiful child next door.

Would love any feedback on the AR vs ADSR and what you find on the clock :tu:
jdkJake wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm

My solution was to route the gate from the SQ-1 through the lag generator (jack 7) in the voltage processor section (did I mention I love the voltage processors?) and then route the output of the lag generator into the S/H gate under the AR generator. Set the switch downward, leave the lag at the minimum (slider all the way to the left).

You can actually use anything on board that has a buffered output. The preamp works, the ring modulator works and even the envelope follower works. All are buffered on their outputs. The envelope follower is particularly interesting as you get a trigger on both the rising and falling edge of the sync pulse. So, a nice double trigger is generated for each note.

I have not tried pushing an external clock into the clock IN. I’ll give it a go next time I get the chance. Are you thinking of using that to clock the sample and hold?
So much goodness here. Thanks. Will patch up and let you know how we go. I have read about and played with the voltage processors a bunch, but I still confuse myself a lot with them (I don't find the diagrams and explanations super intuitive). LOVE the envelope follower for days. Would also love to hear what you find out playing with the clock IN: it has me beat. Thanks!

deft_bonz
Common Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:27 am

Klanglab wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:47 pm
Hi all,
My story is more or less the same as some of the above. Got a call from my dealer last Saturday that he got me a one. I was kind of surprised, hadn't counted on it anymore after waiting half a year. Now I'm unexpectedly 3999 euro's poorer, but: what a machine! Anything between sweet and totally brutal. And much to discover! Serial no is 1.009. I think they are making more of them than they planned. Some people may feel disappointed, as this synth becomes less exclusive. I don't care. Took a day off today top get to know the 2600 and there's already a 1.000 bucks worth of serotonine flowing through my brain.
Congratulations and I wish you all the fun for a long time with it.

I don't think it will become a mass product. The production will cease one day. Maybe they sell a few thousands of it. Maybe 10-20 thousand. But it will stay a legend not loosing any value. Exclusivity would cost way more these days. So I'm glad it doesn't have that only-rich-can-afford the 100 made untis costing 20k or so ;)

Broadwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Broadwave » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:21 am

If anyone is having trouble triggering the EG's with gear that only sends out a 5V Gate... Just put it through the Pre-Amp and raise the gain until the EG's fire. Simple and effective.

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:56 am

JensonCoins wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:59 pm
EDIT: have patched it up as suggested and can confirm SQ1 will now trigger S/H gate IN, BUT oddly, only the A/R envelope. If you set the ADSR envelope as the slider for the VCA, nothing. If you do the AR, everything :) Thanks. It is currently playing away to itself like a beautiful child next door.

Would love any feedback on the AR vs ADSR and what you find on the clock :tu:
Using the SQ-1, the default ADSR exponential input to the VCA is very touchy and dependent upon the SQ-1 speed and duty settings to get the expected response. You have to use a somewhat longer duty cycle to be able to use the ADSR exponential input effectively. It takes a bit to begin to ramp up as the curve is exponential. Even the longest duty setting is still pretty short. Depends upon the step resolution you have set up on the SQ-1.

One thing you can try to see the differences is to patch the output of the ADSR into the linear VCA input and also leave the default of the ADSR into the exponential input as well. That way, you can try different duty settings on the SQ-1 and compare/contrast the exact same ADSR settings in both linear or exponent mode. Or both! Lot’s of subtlety when using the ADSR into both VCA inputs at the same time.

After playing with that, the key to remember is the gate length (SQ-1 duty) needs to be long enough for the individual stages of the envelope generators to complete. The perceived response will be highly dependent upon your ADSR settings.

Recall, the ADSR will only cycle through the stages as long as the gate is present. When the gate terminates, the ADSR immediately enters the release stage regardless of the traversal through the previous stages. The gate needs to be long enough to hear the effects of the attack and decay stages as they approach the sustain point. The manual does a really good job of describing this starting on page 33.

The apparent responsiveness of the ADSR on the VCA is further complicated by the response curve; linear or exponential. This manual explains this pretty well starting at the bottom on page 31 and continuing on page 32.

There are settings where it will appear the ADSR is not working correctly when in fact it is doing exactly what it is being asked to do. Start with a slow speed sequence, very slow. Start with the longest duty cycle on the SQ-1 with the step resolution at quarter notes. Then experiment with the ADSR. You will hear it is working as intended, it just needs to be given enough time to do its job.

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:01 am

Broadwave wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:21 am
If anyone is having trouble triggering the EG's with gear that only sends out a 5V Gate... Just put it through the Pre-Amp and raise the gain until the EG's fire. Simple and effective.
Yes, this works very well. For patches that already use the pre-amp in some fashion the option to use the lag generator or the ring modulator or even the envelope follower is handy. All are buffered on their outputs and raise the signal appropriately.

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:27 am

Congratulations and I wish you all the fun for a long time with it.

I don't think it will become a mass product. The production will cease one day. Maybe they sell a few thousands of it. Maybe 10-20 thousand. But it will stay a legend not loosing any value. Exclusivity would cost way more these days. So I'm glad it doesn't have that only-rich-can-afford the 100 made untis costing 20k or so ;)
Interesting side note, there were only an estimated 3000 or so original ARP 2600s ever produced.

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 am

Did anyone ever find out how many korg made?

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:39 am

ws9848 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 am
Did anyone ever find out how many korg made?
Still making them. Seems they continue to trickle out.

jdkJake
Common Wiggler

Post by jdkJake » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am

JensonCoins wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:59 pm
Would also love to hear what you find out playing with the clock IN: it has me beat. Thanks!
Played with the clock in a bit this morning. Seems to work as expected, I tried using the gate out of the sq-1 as well as the sync out. No need for any buffering, just a straight cable from the sq-1 to the 2600. Using the sq-1 gate out, you get a pulse for every step. Using the sq-1 sync out, you get a pulse for every two steps, which, seems strange. I will have to play with it a bit more. I mIght need to break out the sq-1 manual to see what is going on there.i might have an odd setting on my sq-1.

Recall, the clock in really only controls (overrides) the rate of the sample and hold circuit as well as the switching rate of the electronic switch. The AR/ADSR also can be gated by the sample and hold, so, they can also be controlled indirectly by the input to the clock in.

If you are expecting the clock in to also clock the speed of the sequencer/arp, you are out of luck. That feature is only controllable by the LFO circuit in the keyboard. At least as currently implemented.

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Mine arrived at the local FedEx depot at 7am. As punishment, they've decided to hold it hostage until Monday.... good news is apparently I've got one sitting 15 miles away! :)

deft_bonz
Common Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Efudd wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Mine arrived at the local FedEx depot at 7am. As punishment, they've decided to hold it hostage until Monday.... good news is apparently I've got one sitting 15 miles away! :)
That's going to the longest weekend for you 😅

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Efudd wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Mine is supposed to show up today but its at the fedex location. It hasn’t been loaded on a truck yet so we’ll see what happens

ws9848
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ws9848 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm

I was just notified they rescheduled the delivery until monday too. WTF?

*UPDATE* I called fedex and asked why it was sitting there for over 24 hours and the person I was talking to couldn’t tell me anything except it had been delayed. So, I kind of complained to him about the delay was caused by fedex so he opened an investigation. Someone actually called me back and she told me they could deliver it tomorrow so I guess thats better than monday but jeez! She told me they were just extremely busy. She said it was like xmas.

Efudd
Common Wiggler

Post by Efudd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 pm

ws9848 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm
I was just notified they rescheduled the delivery until monday too. WTF?

*UPDATE* I called fedex and asked why it was sitting there for over 24 hours and the person I was talking to couldn’t tell me anything except it had been delayed. So, I kind of complained to him about the delay was caused by fedex so he opened an investigation. Someone actually called me back and she told me they could deliver it tomorrow so I guess thats better than monday but jeez! She told me they were just extremely busy. She said it was like xmas.
You did better than me then. They told me to go away more or less. Absolutely refused to let me contact the depot. Refused to do it themselves. Would only read from their script. Escalated to three fake levels of management, same message. I give them points for being consistent. They’ve been late by 4+ days on every package through them my way the last month.

I just wanted to go pick it up... oh well. The awesome sauce in all of this is it got redirected to what is a FedEx kiosk inside a Walmart for pick up next week... still trying to get that fixed.

A+ that your depot seems to be doing the right thing. That’s been my historical experience with them.

EDIT: Now Monday, still stuck at FedEx with no movement. I finally got in touch with a "trace team" at FedEx who was able to _request_ that the depot schedule for me to pick it up. They have to find it first (their words).

Return to “General Gear”