Korg ARP 2600 availability

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Korg ARP 2600 availability

Post by sanders » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:16 pm

I don’t know if this requires its own topic, but I don’t see any discussion yet.

I “bought” a 2600 off Zzounds a few days ago, being the last distributor still accepting orders. I just found out that they’ve accepted something like a 100 orders, and were only allotted 10 units. So, all the rest of the “pre-orders” are just speculation. On the bright side, the sales person said he was very confident that Korg would produce more 2600 to meet all the orders, it’ll just be a while before they can be made and distributed.

I succumbed to my life long desire to own and play a full size 2600. If you’ve ever worked on a 2600 before, you may feel the same as I do, that a miniaturized 2600 is antithetical to the essence of what the 2600 is. So, when I heard about the availability of a full size 2600 for $3800 a few days ago, I decided it was now or never. 3800 is way more than I’d spend on anything, let alone a synthesizer. But it’s as cheap as I’ve seen a 2600 sell for ever. It’s a tremendous deal for mint 2600.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Korg ARP 2600 availability

Post by Synth Con Meo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 pm

I also recently put in a "preorder" in at zZounds finding it was the only shop still offering that option. I was/bit skeptical if it will pan out. A day or so earlier than doing the preorder I did get on the preorder "wait" list at SW but was told by my rep that it was a long shot that one would become available off the preorder list. But also did just find out from a friend about the rumor that Korg might open up more production sometime.

I don't think they were really expecting such a turn out for the preorder and hope that they have seen the light.

Yes it is a chunk of $ but I also have been wanting a real FS version where Korg has produced probably the closest version in this reissue that can be obtained without leaving out or changing too much from the original.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:56 pm

It wouldn’t stun me for 10 or more people on the Sweetwater waitlist to get a spot. They don’t charge your card until it ships, so there are a couple of months for real life to happen to a few people, for a few people to opt for the cheaper Behringer, or for a few people’s spouses to hear about what they’ve done. :lol:

100 people on a list for 10 units, maybe not so promising.

I’d be amazed if there wasn’t another run soon. Or two more, one for each panel variant. Assume 1000 units world wide, and they grossed $4 mil sales retail in roughly a weekend, which is not chump change even for Korg.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:02 pm

I predict Korg will produce plenty more but as non "LE" models. My guess is they will drop the keyboard and flight case and maybe change the panel color to the orange scheme. Plenty of people were nervous about the Odyssey full size models as well being a limited run but they can still be bought new as of this day for a deep discount. Used ones going mostly unsold in the second hand market as well.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 am

The limited edition ARP Odyssey FSQ has been forever in stock.

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am

Ok I just got an email from zZounds stating that my order has now been cancelled. Reason stated:
"The following merchandise on your order XXXXXXXX was canceled because it is no longer available"

And if you click on the link it goes to the 2600 product page which states:

"Sorry, this product is no longer available on zZounds. In most cases, a product is unavailable becauseit has been discontinued by the manufacturer"

Pretty disappointing but not surprising. Just hoping that Korg will make the decision to produce more.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am

Synth Con Meo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am
Ok I just got an email from zZounds stating that my order has now been cancelled. Reason stated:
"The following merchandise on your order XXXXXXXX was canceled because it is no longer available"

And if you click on the link it goes to the 2600 product page which states:

"Sorry, this product is no longer available on zZounds. In most cases, a product is unavailable becauseit has been discontinued by the manufacturer"

Pretty disappointing but not surprising. Just hoping that Korg will make the decision to produce more.
I'm really hoping I don't get a similar email. I got in on the first morning of release and it was a couple of days later that it changed to "Sold Out" on the site. I'm losing sleep again.
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:49 am

thispoison wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 am
I'm really hoping I don't get a similar email. I got in on the first morning of release and it was a couple of days later that it changed to "Sold Out" on the site. I'm losing sleep again.
Don't fret. I'm so confident they will make more that I will sell you mine. For $8,500.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:17 am

The BARPF 26 will be available shortly, not to worry.

martimous
Common Wiggler

Post by martimous » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm

It seems like the dealers should be telling people if they're on a wait list or an actual pre-order list. I would be pretty torqued if I thought I had signed up for the pre-order and had my order seemingly accepted only to find out that it's actually a wait list backup to the pre-order queue.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:27 am

Aren't we starting to understand K0rg by now? The release of ready build full size MS-20 tell us a little patience is all that is needed.
Unless one really like the idea of having a big emty transport case in storage. To me that somehow seems like a nice LE show off piece doubtfully ever used on the road by current user base. An easy way to shave of cost for the 2. run.

And patience might be rewarded in other ways. Reading the B2600 thread I get the feeling there might emerge yet another alternative this year that might be even closer to the original with regards to sound and missbehavior.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 am

I'm seeing a fair bit of hating ( I don't mean it literally, just a convenient term ! :hihi: ) on the flightcase with the KARP 2600 FS : I think it's great & well worth the inclusion for the £££....

I'll definitely be using it - the way the 3620 keyboard goes in too ,along with space for more gear from what I can tell too ( cables, pedals etc ..hell maybe even my Digitakt will fit in there ) will be great for gigs. I'd definitely have been looking to buy cases anyway, so this is awesome from Korg I think. I appreciate YMMV though of course.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:47 am

StillNotWorking wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:27 am
And patience might be rewarded in other ways. Reading the B2600 thread I get the feeling there might emerge yet another alternative this year that might be even closer to the original with regards to sound and missbehavior.
"Closer" is one of the things the Barp probably won't be, with the "improvements" to the oscillator and the spring reverb replaced with digital. Hell, even the lack of speakers to close-mic for all your cab effect fun. The Karp will probably be noticeably closer than the Barp.
Last edited by Kattefjaes on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:56 am

I was not talking about the B2600. But that thread provoked a user to post more than he had planned to.
looking for service manual for the Clavia ddrum AT or ddrum III

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Xmit wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 am
I'm seeing a fair bit of hating ( I don't mean it literally, just a convenient term ! :hihi: ) on the flightcase with the KARP 2600 FS : I think it's great & well worth the inclusion for the £££....
Completely. Without it, it would be difficult for this synth to ever leave the house. I dinged up my Mini taking it out without a case. No its cases for everything. And I think this case might double as a stand in my use. Looks just a hair under table height, and table space is at a premium in my room. Seems very useful to me. The only thing I don't like is its branding on the outside. The last thing I want to do is advertise what is sitting in the back of my vehicle.

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:04 pm

If it wasn't a "limited edition", would they have sold so many already? Fear of missing out, charge those credit cards...

msboude
Wiggling with Experience

Post by msboude » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:10 pm

You'll need a case for the case. haha!

martimous
Common Wiggler

Post by martimous » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm

I have to think that Korg would want to be cautious about a) overproducing these so that they are raining from the sky and you can't help but trip over them, and/or b) advertising it as a limited edition, then doing item a). If they were to ever produce another "limited edition" of another synth, no one would take it seriously.
That said, they TMK have not announced how many pieces their limited edition consists of.

JeshuaW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JeshuaW » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 pm

I think it would be silly of them not to make 100-200 more units. They could make so much more money!

I am on two waitlist atm, we'll see I suppose. It would be nice to have one, but my bank account will be ok with me saving $4k too.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:55 pm

blw wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 pm
Xmit wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 am
Completely. Without it, it would be difficult for this synth to ever leave the house. I dinged up my Mini taking it out without a case. No its cases for everything. And I think this case might double as a stand in my use. Looks just a hair under table height, and table space is at a premium in my room. Seems very useful to me. The only thing I don't like is its branding on the outside. The last thing I want to do is advertise what is sitting in the back of my vehicle.
Agree the flight case was a smart decision by Korg for this run. It's a CYA move. I bet they added up the two containers and packaging needed to safely ship the main unit and KBD, and then compared that with the flight case. After that, factoring in the street cred among touring musicians gained by the flight case. "Korg really did this right" or the similar cred for the non-touring or collector crowd "The case really puts this in the unique and warm-fuzzy category." Collector adding "Ka-ching!"

But ultimately, I think Korg just wanted to be absolutely sure there would be NO -or as little as possible- shipping damage or claims. And I bet the cost of the flight case -to Korg- is not too much different than the packaging they'd otherwise have needed to use for the same level of comfort and reliability in shipping these all over the world.

If it had only been the main unit, OR the KBD, then they might not have needed to do the flight case. Each of those can be shipped reliably using normal methods, when shipping individually. But shipping two separate, but related packages to addresses all over the world? The flight case makes more sense.

At this level of expectation, the all-in-one-useful-for-the-future-case, which-is-cool-besides, is a no brainer.

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:33 am

Exactly. The flight case is the best option for shipping this synth. The main unit is 45 or so pounds and the kbd is another 20, with both needing to be in separate boxes.

You can use the flight case as a table for the synth. Put it up against a wall, with the casters off and put the 2600 on top. Use a simple x-stand for the keys in front of it. Table space and storage solved.

automaton
Is It Giblets?!

Post by automaton » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:15 am

TheDegenerateElite wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:33 am
You can use the flight case as a table for the synth. Put it up against a wall, with the casters off and put the 2600 on top. Use a simple x-stand for the keys in front of it. Table space and storage solved.
That’s exactly what’s I had in mind.
Perhaps all pleasure is only relief.

martimous
Common Wiggler

Post by martimous » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:16 am

JeshuaW wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 pm
...I am on two waitlist atm, we'll see I suppose. It would be nice to have one, but my bank account will be ok with me saving $4k too.
Hang in there...a friend of mine was just moved from a wait queue to a pre-order queue yesterday, so it does happen.

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:43 pm

TheDegenerateElite wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:33 am
Exactly. The flight case is the best option for shipping this synth. The main unit is 45 or so pounds and the kbd is another 20, with both needing to be in separate boxes.

I’m hoping the wheels will bring the flight case close to the height of my Roland piano in the living room, then I can put it behind with the 2600 on top and the keyboard on the piano for a few weeks.
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

geekonacid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by geekonacid » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 am

If this is an application of scarcity technique from Korg it worked - it was sold out in UK-based stores in two days. I'm on the waiting list for this synth, and the distributor who I'm buying from in London have advised me that Korg ARP 2600 "is officially sold out worldwide". As others highlighted, my distributor had large order in place but they don't know exactly how many units they will receive. Anxious anticipation in progress...

Return to “General Gear”