Rossum Electro-Music 35th Anniversary SP-1200 Renovation

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Sam Botstein
Learning to Wiggle

Rossum Electro-Music 35th Anniversary SP-1200 Renovation

Post by Sam Botstein » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:54 pm

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/ ... enovation/

This year marks the 35th anniversary of the introduction of E-mu System’s iconic “SP” sampling percussion system, instruments that have become emblematic of the golden age of hip hop creativity. To mark this milestone, Dave Rossum (the co-founder of E-mu Systems) and the team at Rossum Electro-Music are creating an extremely limited number of “renovated” SP-1200s.

Beginning with an original SP-1200, Dave and the team strip it down and rebuild it into a “better-than-new” example of the classic sampling percussion system. It is then tested and calibrated to guarantee that it
provides the exact sonic character that has made the SP drum machines musical legends for 35 years (and counting).

This year marks the 35th anniversary of the introduction of E-mu System’s iconic “SP” sampling percussion system, instruments that have become emblematic of the golden age of hip hop creativity. To mark this milestone, Dave Rossum (the co-founder of E-mu Systems) and the team at Rossum Electro-Music are creating an extremely limited number of “renovated” SP-1200s.

Beginning with an original SP-1200, Dave and the team strip it down and rebuild it into a “better-than-new” example of the classic sampling percussion system. It is then tested and calibrated to guarantee that it
provides the exact sonic character that has made the SP drum machines musical legends for 35 years (and counting).

The Rossum Electro-Music 35th Anniversary SP-1200 renovations include:

– A new 3.5″ disk drive and SD card floppy emulator integrated into the original SP-1200 software by Dave Rossum

– Manual filter cutoff frequency control sliders for the SSM 2044 analog filters for channels 1 and 2 added to the rear panel

– A new metal chassis

– A new panel overlay

– The top shell restored and painted “SP Grey.”

– A new power supply with locking connector (and cool operation)

– A new LCD display with adjustable brightness and a selectable red, blue, or green color LED backlight

– All new play buttons

– All new programming buttons

– All new 1/4” and MIDI jacks

– All electrolytic and tantalum capacitors replaced with high-reliability ceramic or aluminum-poly caps

– All rotary potentiometers replaced with million cycle lifetime pots and installed with new knurled black metal knobs

– All slide potentiometers replaced with 200,000 cycle lifetime sliders and installed with new slider knobs

– All original trimmers replaced with 20-turn versions and precisely calibrated

– New rubber feet

– An individualized Dave Rossum signature plaque

– A dust-proof, crush-proof, lockable Pelican™ brand case with press-and pull latches, wheels, and an extendable handle.

– Full testing and calibration by Rossum Electro-Music

Availability

35th Anniversary SP-1200s are available directly from Rossum Electro-Music for US$7500.00.

Because the number of 35th Anniversary SP-1200s built will be limited by the availability of original SP-1200s, that number is likely to be extremely small. If you are interested in purchasing one, please fill out the wait list application you’ll find at the tab at the top of the page.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music 35th Anniversary SP-1200 Renovation

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 pm

This is kind of wild. Price is insane but I imagine they will sell. Really curious where they got the SPs from... have they just been quietly buying them up to restore?
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:24 pm

DP
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm

That is insane, companies decided to compete with smart reseller prices? :hihi:

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

It's fun to see stuff like this, though it seems like a fairly hefty upcharge for the services performed.

I always think I used to own an SP-1200 but then remember that it was actually a Drumulator. :hihi:

tron23
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tron23 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

blw wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm
It's fun to see stuff like this, though it seems like a fairly hefty upcharge for the services performed.
No, those rubber feet are very expensive.

Soundwave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Soundwave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:45 pm

The fact what makes this crazy price kind of fair is that the SP-1200 is one of the rarest and most expensive drumsamplers out there. The used prices are extremly high, if you can even find one. Already 10 years ago this machines were worth 2 or 3 times as much as a 808 or 909.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am

being realistic: how much this machine would cost if you take apart the hype and inflated prices? I mean, basically components, manufacturing and a reasonable profit?

are the parts that hard to find or replace? how much are they critical to get the sound signature of the original?

the Isla SP-2400 come close to this and have a lot of 2020 features and what seems to be great construction for about 1K...yeah,. I know it´s different technology, but I can´t imagine that there is so much difference in price between both

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:07 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am
being realistic: how much this machine would cost if you take apart the hype and inflated prices? I mean, basically components, manufacturing and a reasonable profit?

are the parts that hard to find or replace? how much are they critical to get the sound signature of the original?

the Isla SP-2400 come close to this and have a lot of 2020 features and what seems to be great construction for about 1K...yeah,. I know it´s different technology, but I can´t imagine that there is so much difference in price between both
Its not about hype,its about the sound with this one..

I am curious how the SP-2400 will sound,likely also will be a great machine.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:55 am

tobb wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:07 am
anselmi wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 am

Its not about hype,its about the sound with this one..

I am curious how the SP-2400 will sound,likely also will be a great machine.
I don’t think the sound worth that much...for me this prices are highly inflated

About the SP-2400: the comparison videos shows that it’s close enough to get the same kind of gritt and transposition behavior with lots of more features, so the remain money that you would pay for the original is for what you want to imagine you are paying for.

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Saw the price in the replies of the video. If that is the price, it better can buy cook and pick up kids after school.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:55 am

I don’t think the sound worth that much...for me this prices are highly inflated

About the SP-2400: the comparison videos shows that it’s close enough to get the same kind of gritt and transposition behavior with lots of more features, so the remain money that you would pay for the original is for what you want to imagine you are paying for.
Its not about what you think,out of your comment can i only conclude you don't own one?

its about the sound that is coming out of the machine,if you want that particular sound it can't be replaced by an alternative.

Its not the gritt alone that contributes to the sound,you can sample the same audio source in 10 different ways,depending how the input gain is driven will give you complete different results,so difficult to emulate all these artifacts with another machine,so no, its just not the aliasing when pitched down that will give a machine the SP-1200 sound...

Once you own one ,you know why its so special and why the prices are high and not inflated due to a 'myth'.

1040df
Common Wiggler

Post by 1040df » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Sound is certainly unique, but you can get pretty close with other samplers. Really its all about the workflow and that sequencer and the way you can manipulate the machine physically is pretty special. It is an instrument.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 pm

tobb wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 pm
anselmi wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:55 am

Its not about what you think,out of your comment can i only conclude you don't own one?

its about the sound that is coming out of the machine,if you want that particular sound it can't be replaced by an alternative.

Its not the gritt alone that contributes to the sound,you can sample the same audio source in 10 different ways,depending how the input gain is driven will give you complete different results,so difficult to emulate all these artifacts with another machine,so no, its just not the aliasing when pitched down that will give a machine the SP-1200 sound...

Once you own one ,you know why its so special and why the prices are high and not inflated due to a 'myth'.
If you read my answer you’ll find that I talk about the behavior of the SP too, so your detailed explanation about recording gain is included

About you guessing about what I own/owned and what’s not just because my taste doesn’t match yours...well, it’s just this, regardless the fact that you talk like you actually know what gear I own.
I’m not biting it, sorry. If you want to argue look elsewhere.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:27 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 pm

If you read my answer you’ll find that I talk about the behavior of the SP too, so your detailed explanation about recording gain is included

About you guessing about what I own/owned and what’s not just because my taste doesn’t match yours...well, it’s just this, regardless the fact that you talk like you actually know what gear I own.
I’m not biting it, sorry. If you want to argue look elsewhere.
Nope you didn't described much specific details about sound of the SP-1200, you did mention what you think about the SP-2400,that's all.

Personal taste is one thing,but if you write 'so the remain money that you would pay for the original is for what you want to imagine you are paying for'

is a proof of lack of knowledge about this piece of gear,that is why i conclude you don't own one and that your references are just based on demo's or recordings!

Return to “General Gear”