Arturia Keystep pro

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:28 am

Syncs fine with my USAMO - if you want an ultra stable MIDI clock from your PC, that's one good option.

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:58 pm
black_label wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:55 am
Lux A Turner wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 am
Has anybody found a decent bag for the Keystep Pro yet? ...
I just got a Gator GT-2412 and it fits perfectly.
Thanks for the suggestion, looks neat and Thomann have it in stock as a pedalboard bag. The only downside is the price - 88 GBP plus 8 GBP shipping :woah:
OK, I found a bag made by Cobra (manufacturer reference: CC 1073), which is a perfect fit. Probably not as robust as the Gator, but only 13.95 GBP plus 2.95 GBP local shipping.

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

McRINdk
Common Wiggler

Post by McRINdk » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 am

ronnieb wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 am
McRINdk wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 am
Try endorphin.es
I actually use some Trippy cables atm, they only have a TRRS to TRRS option, but thanks anyway.

It's crazy that it's so hard to find this seeing as they seem to be somewhat 'common' now? (the new MPC's also use TRS for each CV/GATE pair too)
i bought this

https://endorphines.myshopify.com/colle ... mm-ts-mono

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:02 am

McRINdk wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:47 am
ronnieb wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 am
McRINdk wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 am
Try endorphin.es
I actually use some Trippy cables atm, they only have a TRRS to TRRS option, but thanks anyway.

It's crazy that it's so hard to find this seeing as they seem to be somewhat 'common' now? (the new MPC's also use TRS for each CV/GATE pair too)
i bought this

https://endorphines.myshopify.com/colle ... mm-ts-mono
YES! You fucking don, thank you mate. I don't know how I couldn't find this, appreciate the link. :hail:

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 am

ronnieb wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:13 pm
I've been hunting for a damn splitter cable to properly sync this thing and stupidly bought basic headphone splitters... twice!
Does anyone know of any alternatives to the Hosa YMM-261? Can't seem to find any in Europe atm :despair:
I have also searched a while for such cables (not related to this topic and male to male). In case anybody else needs this, you can find those at Thomann.

https://m.thomann.de/de/audio_technica_ ... le_rec.htm

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Has anyone else had a problem with gates getting stuck open when the arp/seq is stopped? I've had it happen twice now, and it required a power cycle to kill.

RayMcNamara
1-Post Wiggler

Post by RayMcNamara » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 pm

loydb wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm
Man I've had buckets of problems with mine. Mostly with the drum sequencer but all sorts of stuff. I can't go a half hour without cycling the power to clear some glitch. Came here to decide if my unit is defective or if it's firmware issues that are present in all KSP's.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:48 pm

RayMcNamara wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 pm
loydb wrote:
Man I've had buckets of problems with mine. Mostly with the drum sequencer but all sorts of stuff. I can't go a half hour without cycling the power to clear some glitch. Came here to decide if my unit is defective or if it's firmware issues that are present in all KSP's.
Same :bang:

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:38 am

Ok, sounds like time to start poking Arturia. Sigh.

Thanks all.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Have you installed the latest update?

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 pm

Did a new one drop recently....? Does it fix the drum mode ghost gates? Did it add any features?

If so I have not.

I'm hoping for an option to route the mod "wheel" strip to one (or all) of the mod/velocity outs. But, I have to say, using it primarily for my modular, you can do some pretty amazing things with the velocity out and using that for cv per step. Used it for a filter feedback patch today and it was like -

zzzzeeeeeeeeeeesssseeeeeeeeccccsssscccccrrrrreeeeeeeettcchhhhhhhhhh

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:45 pm

How does everyone feel about the clock?

I noticed the thing where the DAW would say 120 and the KSP would ride around it like 119.8 - 121.2 - with all the MIDI clock issues syncing to Euro I actually didn't worry about this (read about it also in the Arturia forum) and thought it's probably actually dead on and it's mf Logic Pro that has the issue. I've not had any clock issues, I'm just trying to decide if I should slave my Tempi to it, or vise-versa. Was hoping to use it as a master so I don't have to eat up a Tempi out slot that I could use for a division.

Actually I take that back. When I first got it, I was having a hell of a time syncing it to Logic. What I'd like to do is use it (the ksp) for the master and slave the DAW to it. Anyone doing that successfully? I love doing tempo changes on the fly and with a DAW its a clickin' DRAG! :yay: SWIDT

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:01 am

RayMcNamara wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 pm
loydb wrote:
Actually, I should clarify, I don't want to sound like a whiner.

I can use it for more than a half an hour. But I've been using it sparingly. I'm still figuring out all the shit ton of features and LOVE what this thing is capable of so far... I've noticed that the glitches seem to be randomly appearing. I can use it for half a day and have no issues. But I haven't done anything that would PUSH this to the limit - which is a bit concerning - but I assume there will be more updates. But I have not ran it like on 4 different midi tracks at once. I haven't used all 8 of the drum gates at once. The most I've used is 4 and 2 seq/arp tracks. I've only saved one or two sequences.

I would imagine that if I pushed this to the limit I'd have more frequent issues. But I'm not preforming with it anytime soon and I'm not super worried about it. I really do love this product.

Would love to hear how people are liking the new fw update? Or even any cool tricks they pulled off or came across that were unexpected..... Cheers.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:43 am

I updated to 1.2.6 and if anything I've noticed more bugs than before. Yesterday I had at least three or four times where I had to power cycle, once on a jam I was really having fun with, it's the worst buzz kill.

There is no way I would gig with this as it stands (not that is a major concern atm) but I reckon in like 6 months to a year Arturia will have squashed most of the hiccups.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:35 am

Yes, I'm on 1.2.6. Gates still freeze regularly.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 am

Seems like gate freezing is WORSE than before. WT actual fuck. Seems like Arturia should be paying us for there QA.

fragster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fragster » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:34 am

Mine just entered "Vegas mode" and cannot snap out of it. Works fine thou. Blinkenlights ftw. :)

They really need to fix 1.2.6
Always work. Go to church. Do right. Respect those in authority over you.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:37 pm

I love it for what it potentially can do, but holy crap, it certainly sets new standards for how shitty a firmware you can release a product with. And additionally Arturia breaks all records for how laissez-faire you can be about releasing an almost unusable product.
Like, how long does it really have to take to fix these bugs? If they hired a methodical and focused programmer like Os from Expert Sleepers, we would likely have most things sorted within a week. Maybe they have an intern who sits down every friday night after a few beers and stares at the code, hoping it will rewrite itself? That seems to be the level of commitment from the grand french company.

And yes, we did get an update. And no, Arturia, we still do not have in our hands, the product that we paid for. To think otherwise would be arrogance at its worst.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:33 pm

sorry if this has been covered earlier, but can you use the KSP as a polyphonic CV keyboard? I.e., playing 4 different modular voices at the same time? Nothing in the manual seems to (obviously) answer this, I only see comments about programming each track individually, but it's a de facto option I would expect on something like this.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:43 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:33 pm
sorry if this has been covered earlier, but can you use the KSP as a polyphonic CV keyboard? I.e., playing 4 different modular voices at the same time? Nothing in the manual seems to (obviously) answer this, I only see comments about programming each track individually, but it's a de facto option I would expect on something like this.
I believe you can, but I haven’t tried it.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 pm

xcc wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:43 pm
Sir Ruff wrote:
I believe you can, but I haven’t tried it.
Read the manual a bit more and it says that every key press corresponds immediately to an output on a cv/gate channel. Ok, that’s promising. But then there are no options for how the voices are assigned, e.g., rotate, reset, etc. so it does make me wonder. If anyone else can confirm that would be great.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
can you use the KSP as a polyphonic CV keyboard? I.e., playing 4 different modular voices at the same time? Nothing in the manual seems to (obviously) answer this, I only see comments about programming each track individually, but it's a de facto option I would expect on something like this.
That's my main interest in the KSP as well. If an owner could test the poly CV capabilities of the unit (even in the firmware's unfinished state), it'd be appreciated.

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:06 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
I’ve read that it can be done. It uses a circular type of note stealing. I haven’t tried it yet but I can give it a go and report back.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:13 am

...I literally reported on this a few pages back. It was prior to the current firmware, but I did try it out and talk about it.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:30 am

Licudi wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 am
Sir Ruff wrote:
can you use the KSP as a polyphonic CV keyboard? I.e., playing 4 different modular voices at the same time? Nothing in the manual seems to (obviously) answer this, I only see comments about programming each track individually, but it's a de facto option I would expect on something like this.
That's my main interest in the KSP as well. If an owner could test the poly CV capabilities of the unit (even in the firmware's unfinished state), it'd be appreciated.
Yes you can. You just assign all four cv/gates to the same voice/sequencer. Very easy.

Return to “General Gear”