Arturia Keystep pro

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:29 am
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 am

Has anybody found a decent bag for the Keystep Pro yet? I've only found a couple of possible candidates on Ebay / Amazon and am having trouble getting sellers to commit, as to whether their quoted dimensions are internal or external and whether their bag will be a good fit.

Maybe Arturia will get around to producing one, but I don't like branded bags much (might as well just embroider 'expensive synth gear - steal me' on it).


It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

User avatar
gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:33 am
Location: NY

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by gloamtrotter » Sat May 30, 2020 11:50 am

Still waiting on my preorder to ship, anyone else in the same boat?

User avatar
black_label
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by black_label » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:55 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 am
Has anybody found a decent bag for the Keystep Pro yet? I've only found a couple of possible candidates on Ebay / Amazon and am having trouble getting sellers to commit, as to whether their quoted dimensions are internal or external and whether their bag will be a good fit.

Maybe Arturia will get around to producing one, but I don't like branded bags much (might as well just embroider 'expensive synth gear - steal me' on it).
I just got a Gator GT-2412 and it fits perfectly.

User avatar
Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:29 am
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Lux A Turner » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:58 pm

black_label wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:55 am
Lux A Turner wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 am
Has anybody found a decent bag for the Keystep Pro yet? I've only found a couple of possible candidates on Ebay / Amazon and am having trouble getting sellers to commit, as to whether their quoted dimensions are internal or external and whether their bag will be a good fit.

Maybe Arturia will get around to producing one, but I don't like branded bags much (might as well just embroider 'expensive synth gear - steal me' on it).
I just got a Gator GT-2412 and it fits perfectly.
Thanks for the suggestion, looks neat and Thomann have it in stock as a pedalboard bag. The only downside is the price - 88 GBP plus 8 GBP shipping :woah:


It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Licudi » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:51 am

Significant software bugs have been reported elsewhere. Is the Muff 'user experience' so different?

DasIch&DerEr
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 am

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by DasIch&DerEr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:26 am

Hi, I am working with Arturia for weeks now, to integrate KSP into FL Studio, but still failing. KSP SEQ is working great with my modular (CV) and Synths, but when it comes to DAW sync it brings FL to crash every time. Hope that there‘ll be an update soon. For live session‘s great!

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 am

It crashes because FL Studio doesn't like to be slaved unlike most other DAWs. Having the two MIDI outs set to do seperate things would be a nice fix, but have to wait for the upcoming patch, which should be soon apparently.

michi_mak
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 am

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by michi_mak » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:02 pm

To me it seems like a matter of use case! Almost all stability and timing issues seem to be related to USB Midi somehow. At least this is what i understand from the various posts on the net. There was an update scheduled for Mid May which is now in beta according to Arturia...

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:14 pm

New update onsite!

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Shledge wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:14 pm
New update onsite!
Thanks for the heads up! :guinness:

Shoyei
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:30 am

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shoyei » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Has anyone tested how stable the internal clock is?

Debating on whether I should get the Pamela's New Workout Pexp-1 expander to have it as my master clock, or if KSP is stable enough to run my modular + other gear reliably.

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 am

It's quite stable.

User avatar
Nightly Closures
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:58 pm
Location: Miami

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Nightly Closures » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 am

Can’t believe it doesn’t record arps and/or arp sequenced notes.

michi_mak
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 am

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by michi_mak » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:06 pm

Shledge wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 am
It's quite stable.
What do you consider to be „quite stable“?

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:07 pm

michi_mak wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:06 pm
Shledge wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 am
It's quite stable.
What do you consider to be „quite stable“?
As in, it will sync everything without issue, despite the bugs?

michi_mak
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:33 am

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by michi_mak » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 pm

So didn‘t they manage to get rid off the bugs? Solving the first note not recorded issue and stabilizing USB Midi would be a very welcomed first update, wouldn’t it?

Shoyei
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:30 am

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shoyei » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:40 pm

michi_mak wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:06 pm
Shledge wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:30 am
It's quite stable.
What do you consider to be „quite stable“?
I mean, if I use my TR-8S trigger out to clock my rack, I can see that alot of my transients are a little off in my recorded timeline (not due to latency, just an inconsistent clock), but Pamela's New Workout is incredibly stable. Not sure if it makes a lot of sense to send a midi clock out of the rack to clock KSP and the rest of my gear or not. If KSP can keep a tight grid, then I don't need to worry about it.

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:12 pm

michi_mak wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 pm
So didn‘t they manage to get rid off the bugs? Solving the first note not recorded issue and stabilizing USB Midi would be a very welcomed first update, wouldn’t it?
I don't understand what point you're trying to get at here. Obviously I implied the clock was stable prior to the current patch. I haven't updated it yet either.

I don't use USB MIDI, it is perfectly stable from its MIDI outs. PNW works fine with it. No need to second guess.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:45 pm
Location: Austin, USA

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by loydb » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:28 am


ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by ronnieb » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:13 pm

I've been hunting for a damn splitter cable to properly sync this thing and stupidly bought basic headphone splitters... twice!
Does anyone know of any alternatives to the Hosa YMM-261? Can't seem to find any in Europe atm :despair:

User avatar
Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Shledge » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 pm

If you have any star splitters, they can actually mult stereo signals too.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by ronnieb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 am

Shledge wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 pm
If you have any star splitters, they can actually mult stereo signals too.
Sorry I mean to split the left and right channels independently like the pic below. The Keystep Pro Clock In takes TRS for the clock and the play/stop gate.

Image

User avatar
McRINdk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by McRINdk » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 am

ronnieb wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:15 am
Shledge wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:04 pm
If you have any star splitters, they can actually mult stereo signals too.
Sorry I mean to split the left and right channels independently like the pic below. The Keystep Pro Clock In takes TRS for the clock and the play/stop gate.

Image
Try endorphin.es

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by ronnieb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 am

McRINdk wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 am
Try endorphin.es
I actually use some Trippy cables atm, they only have a TRRS to TRRS option, but thanks anyway.

It's crazy that it's so hard to find this seeing as they seem to be somewhat 'common' now? (the new MPC's also use TRS for each CV/GATE pair too)

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by ronnieb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 am

Are most people syncing theirs via midi/ USB midi? Starting to think I should stop being so anal about midi jitter and stick with USB midi, sure is a tad more convenient... :tinfoil:

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”