Sonicstate First Look: UDO Super 6

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Sonicstate First Look: UDO Super 6

Post by insoul8 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:12 pm

This thing sounds truly amazing to me.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_L4rOwoUho[/video]

Pando
Common Wiggler

Post by Pando » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:31 pm

LOL at 27:30 :)

mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:21 am

IT sounds ace and looks amazing, for over 2k I would expect it to! Bit out of my price range unfortunately. I can dream.
https://soundcloud.com/mark-harpum

https://www.instagram.com/harpum1/?hl=en

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/456680

FS/T loquelic v1, korgasmatron 2 w/ expander, zdsp w/ 4 cards, seq 1, control forge, rt60, English tear(faulty),

WTB anything WMD and Noise Engineering.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:10 am

I can't say I like the Super 6's aesthetics much, though the layout is practical and the hardware design is frozen anyway. Also, while it's admirable that Udo is beta-testing throughly, maybe the synth was unveiled a bit too early (was it last April?). FWIW, it seems to sound better than the one I played at Synthfest just a few months ago. Maybe that was just the show environment.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:17 am

This guy certainly seem enamored with his own cooking...nothing wrong with that though.
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract
It'd be exactly where I'm at"

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:20 am

sounds amazing but I love FPGA, this one's probably forever out of my budget for a single synth as a hobbyist... I got my Summit for a little under $1,700 new... :)

S6 has user wavetables though doesn't it? That's just beastly combined with the rest of the architecture..

waveplant
Common Wiggler

Post by waveplant » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 am

Video seems to suggest that the filter chips used are clones of the SSM2044. Does anyone have more info?

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm

waveplant wrote:Video seems to suggest that the filter chips used are clones of the SSM2044. Does anyone have more info?
https://www.soundsemiconductor.com

logicgate
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by logicgate » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:17 pm

It sounds like he only learned how to create pads so far

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:26 pm

logicgate wrote:It sounds like he only learned how to create pads so far
He's said from the first time he demoed the unit publicly he's not a keys player, yet did a better demo than when he passed it onto the keys player at Superbooth.

This guy likes to play, he's explained everything already, the last thing there is to explain is hearing it in action.

Also, it seemed like Nick wanted a shot at playing it the whole video which made the dynamic a bit uncomfortable.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:39 pm

He presented it better a few months ago, now he was just randomly hitting keys, as for that key player at the superbooth, he had no idea what he was doing either, so.... Anyway my first impression then, was that it was a very nice sounding synth. Looking at it closer now, I start to see the limitations, the halving of the polyphony and more importantly the halving of the oscillators when stereo, plus I am getting the impression, this is not going to be a very flexible synth...I don't know, perhaps it is too soon to judge...:)

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Karl_Joseph » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:51 pm

I didn’t watch the whole thing cause it put me to sleep but It sounded like notes lost their definition when he played big chords. Maybe it was just the preset. I can’t help but think there is nothing special here.
- KARL

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:13 am

peripatitis wrote:the halving of the oscillators when stereo
what do you mean?

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:21 am

anselmi wrote:
what do you mean?
If I understood correctly when in "binaural" mode you get on oscillator per voice (6 voices polyphony) in contrast to the other mode where you get two oscillators per voice (12 voices polyphony).

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:52 am

Great sounding synth, I have a feeling he intended it as a pad/soundscape maker. To me it sounds dreamy and soaked in chorus even with no chorus on.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:29 am

peripatitis wrote:
anselmi wrote:
what do you mean?
If I understood correctly when in "binaural" mode you get on oscillator per voice (6 voices polyphony) in contrast to the other mode where you get two oscillators per voice (12 voices polyphony).
AFAIK it still have the 2 oscillator scheme in binaural mode and half the polyphony

let´s see: in the video at 13:14 he fades in the second oscillator while in the binaural mode (and it sounds gorgeous, btw)

but maybe I´m wrong...can you point me to some video that suggest that the synth lost one oscillator in the binaural mode?

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:58 am

anselmi wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
anselmi wrote:
what do you mean?
AFAIK it still have the 2 oscillator scheme in binaural mode and half the polyphony

let´s see: in the video at 13:14 he fades in the second oscillator while in the binaural mode (and it sounds gorgeous, btw)

but maybe I´m wrong...can you point me to some video that suggest that the synth lost one oscillator in the binaural mode?
I'm pretty sure the binaural mode initiates separate stereo paths for each side, meaning either method gets the same amount of oscillators used at max polyphony, it's just the distribution that is different.

Instead of 12 voices each with x amount of oscillators down the middle, it's 6 voices left channel and 6 voices right channel each with x amount of oscillators.

No oscillators were harmed in the making of binaurality.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:00 am

I think it sounds wonderful. I really like the stereo path through the entire voice. I hope synth manufacturer keep expanding on that direction.
It looks like a very playable synth where you dont end up foolin around with parameters for hours, but find a good sound and enjoy. At least that's what I am getting from the vid.
It's priced like an OB6 or P6 which makes sense if it sounds good.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:04 am

ludotex wrote:I think it sounds wonderful. I really like the stereo path through the entire voice. I hope synth manufacturer keep expanding on that direction.
It looks like a very playable synth where you dont end up foolin around with parameters for hours, but find a good sound and enjoy. At least that's what I am getting from the vid.
It's priced like an OB6 or P6 which makes sense if it sounds good.
It sounds and sits perfectly amongst the giants.

I'll be honest that this was, while ironically being the most publicized, the worst demo of it yet.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Yeah, the earlier demos were better, but it's still great to hear the Super6 in action. Once Nick gets some proper time with it on his own @ Sonic State, I can imagine we'll get to hear some really great things from it.

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:37 pm

I like the way it looks, like a jupiter 6 and a synthex had a baby.

My big question is does it really do PPG wavetable stuff?????????????????

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:55 pm

fixed
peripatitis wrote:
anselmi wrote:
what do you mean?
If I understood correctly when in "binaural" mode you get one oscillator for the left stereo channel and one oscillator for the right stereo channel (6 voices polyphony) in contrast to the other mode where you get two oscillators per voice (12 voices polyphony).

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:08 pm

nadafarms wrote: My big question is does it really do PPG wavetable stuff?????????????????
According to the Sonicstate video, no. That would be something compelling. As it stands, it looks and sounds like a very nice synth that I totally don't need.

Return to “General Gear”