Horrible docs, but good instruments (Tetra MAPS sequencer)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Horrible docs, but good instruments (Tetra MAPS sequencer)

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:15 pm

I'm sitting here, and trying to refamiliarize myself with an old friend/enemy that I've tried to sell multiple times with no success.

It's a sequencer, and a quite powerful one to boot. Its interface isn't very good - small thing, tons of knob turning, and the documentation (while, once you learn it, it makes sense) is terrible to actually learn from. It's very abstract, and it's as if the inventor wrote the documentation as an intelligence test, rather than a tool to actually help the user learn how to use the sequencer.

Part of the problem is that my memory isn't the greatest for these kind of tools. I gave up on the dreaded octatrack because I just couldn't remember how to use it from use to use, if i didn't use it almost daily.

I used to be relatively facile with this sequencer, but that was years ago, and I'm sitting here, trying to figure out how the bloody hell this thing works.

god damn it to hell. i mean, I'll make progress, but i'm going to have to go round and round and round with this documentation to finally get it to click again.

fucking Signal Arts Tetra MAPS. Lots of potential here, but does anyone still use this thing?

sigh.I think that he'd sell more of these if he just got someone to help him with the docs. Then again, I wouldn't even post this if I were smarter.

elmerfudd
Common Wiggler

Re: Horrible docs, but good instruments (Tetra MAPS sequencer)

Post by elmerfudd » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:33 pm

Heh,heh an amen brother! I have owned 4 of them in every format. Occasional sheer delight, followed by frustration. Sell in disgust, miss it 6 months to a year later, buy another one, rinse, repeat. But with an old Lemur and OSC it is still SO far ahead of the curve. I have decided that this piece of gears main function is to make me feel stupid, and maybe that is not such a bad thing. Or maybe I am just, well, stupid.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:44 pm

I liked mine while I had it, but now that don't have it, I don't miss it one bit. But I did get a schrittmacher, which is a different and not like tetra maps, and I would miss that if I got rid of it, mainly because I use it as the sequencer for my P12 which has no sequencer, can't remember if it even has an arp.

But Like Nelson pointed out, using the Tetra Maps nearly meant relearning it every time I picked it up, and for how I used it, the 250e does what I wanted to do with the maps (step lengths and step repeats), but much easier to use.

I never did figure out how to use the CV input to do anything, even a simple transpose.

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:54 pm

When i get a new piece of gear (or an IOS app), I write up my own document to remind me how to do the stuff I want to do. If I want to do more stuff, I add to it.

Then when I come back and find I haven't documented what I need (cause it was oh so obvious at the time), I work it out and add that to my document as well.

I takes a bit more time up front, but saves time when relearning. Also, writing the documentation makes my initial learning a bit more methodical, because it raises what if questions straight away.

On the nerdy front, the documents are all in a wiki on dropbox that I can access from my phone if necessary.

Return to “General Gear”