Behringer Wasp Clone incoming

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Very Little Fun
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Behringer Wasp Clone incoming

Post by Very Little Fun » Wed May 06, 2020 7:51 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:30 am
Very Little Fun wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:24 am
I'm sorry if this is a n00b/dumb question but... can I control this with my USB keyboard controller and run the WASP out into my mixer/speakers? Or is it mandatory to use MIDI cables?

Also, has anyone played with using the external audio input?
Thanxxx
It has USB MIDI as referenced in the quick start guide: https://media63.music-group.com/media/P ... EN_QSG.pdf
Yes. I saw this. It reads as if the USB connection can only be used to run the Wasp into a computer.
Keep on selling cocaine to angels.

freakynorth
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by freakynorth » Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 pm

seychmar wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:27 am
Polyphonic Wasp anyone?
Yeeeeeeees

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:38 pm
thetwlo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 pm
it was $225 from Kraft Music with coupon, but they had to shut down. I just don't get why it lacks the CV/Gate as basic? as well as other ins/outs.
I want one, but midi only, nope. why stray from all their other clones?
Sounds like all the digital elements make CV IO difficult. Still, trigger ins at least should have been possible. My guess is that it didn’t make sense to have some CV control and then have critical things like pitch midi only.
Ken Macbeth addressed this on facebook today, regarding his upcoming Wasp-inspired Exacta:
For those who don't know, or are maybe unaware of this- the keyboard 'logic' and the DCO's themselves do not operate by the traditional 1V/Octave Log Law. Instead- the inextricably linked Wasp Keyboard circuits and the the two 'DCOs' are note divided down by old tech CMOS logic.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 26, 2020 7:55 pm

blw wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:38 pm
thetwlo wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 pm
it was $225 from Kraft Music with coupon, but they had to shut down. I just don't get why it lacks the CV/Gate as basic? as well as other ins/outs.
I want one, but midi only, nope. why stray from all their other clones?
Sounds like all the digital elements make CV IO difficult. Still, trigger ins at least should have been possible. My guess is that it didn’t make sense to have some CV control and then have critical things like pitch midi only.
Ken Macbeth addressed this on facebook today, regarding his upcoming Wasp-inspired Exacta:
For those who don't know, or are maybe unaware of this- the keyboard 'logic' and the DCO's themselves do not operate by the traditional 1V/Octave Log Law. Instead- the inextricably linked Wasp Keyboard circuits and the the two 'DCOs' are note divided down by old tech CMOS logic.
Ahh, so it’s like an old String machine. That’s interesting, thanks for sending.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

JimY
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JimY » Wed May 27, 2020 4:31 am

Wasp is a real VCO (though a cheap one with no calibrated scaling) clocking a CMOS logic programmable counter chip. It doesn't use a TOG top octave generator although the background whine of an original Wasp is similar to TOG instrument noise, much of that is from the keyboard scanning.
You have x2 of...
Tuning/Bend > VCO (high frequency) > Programmable counter (according to Keyscan code) > Octave range dividers > Glide (4046 phase locked loop) > Waveshapers (similar concept to Roland JUNO DCO)
Like the Juno, a quirk is the ramp wave generation. The timing adjustment that sets the ramp slope to suit the pitch is an estimate (same for filter key track) and it isn't always perfect.

Return to “General Gear”