Roland Boutique -- No Sound after USB

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Roland Boutique -- No Sound after USB

Post by Zodanga » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:56 am

This may end up with me doing a face-palm, but....

I have Roland Boutique synths. For the first time I plugged the D-05's USB into my DAW PC. Worked great! But now, with the D-05 disconnected, there's no sound coming out of the D-05's speaker anymore.

I looked through the menus and see no setting. Is there a trick to getting the sound to route to the speaker again? Strange thing is that the speaker was working as normal while it was connected to the PC.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wendallsan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wendallsan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm

If it were me, it would be because I turned down the tiny volume knob on the back of the Boutique and forgotten that I'd done so, because I do stuff like that all the time. Best of luck-- I've been really enjoying the Boutique line myself.

:love: :love: :love:
Student at Evergreen State College's "Advanced Electronics In Music" for the 2019-2020 school year. Built a Roland System 700 clone out of Pharmasonic PCB's. Currently building or troubleshooting a DJ Thomas White Quad Lowpass Gate, a Barton Bytewise Operator + Expander, Timo Rozendal Steiner Parker VCF, Timo Rozendal Joystick, NLC 1070 Resonate, NLC 1058 Triple Sloths v2, Fonitronic PS3100 Triple Vactrol Resonator, Befaco BF-22 Sallen Key Filter, and Befaco A*B+C.

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks! <g> Immediately after posting, I thought the same thing, did the facepalm ahead of time... but no... the volume knob isn't affecting it. I hope I don't have to flash the firmware every time I disconnect.

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:42 pm

I did a factory reset (hold down "Bank 2," power on, enter) and that fixed it. But if anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested to know what is happening here and if there's a better fix.

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Did you eject USB device properly or did you just yoink the cable out?

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:28 pm

I shut the PC down (it was a Surface Pro 6, actually). Then I disconnected everything. That was a good thought though, and something to be careful of.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Zodanga wrote:I did a factory reset (hold down "Bank 2," power on, enter) and that fixed it. But if anyone else has experienced this, I'd be interested to know what is happening here and if there's a better fix.
it happened to me with the SE-02...I found that sending an specific CC restored it...I don´t remember exactly what number but I think it was #115 or so...I found it in the MIDI implementation as "volume" or "patch volume"

check the MIDI chart for yours

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Interesting, thank you! I'll see what I can find.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:54 pm

Not 100% but I think there is a setting for the speakers somewhere in the belly... Both on mine are dead quiet so I did something at some point...

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Do you mean modifying the electronics? Mine isn't just quiet, it went from fine to no sound at all simply because I connected the USB to a PC.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 am

No it's a setting, could you try running the update on it ?

Zodanga
Common Wiggler

Post by Zodanga » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm

I haven't been able to find a setting that fixes this, and the firmware is up to date. I can get the sound back by doing a quick factory reset, which is only a couple of button presses, but of course jettisons any customizations.

I've played with this a bit and discovered something, though I'm still not sure of the true source of the problem. It may be my specific software (Cakewalk by Bandlab on a Surface Pro, with the Roland D-05).

I notice that if I shutdown or eject the D-05 while the currently highlighted track is one that does NOT talk to the D-05, the D-05 seems to continue to be muted even after being disconnected. If I shutdown or eject the D-05 while the highlighted track is a MIDI track set to output to the D-05, then the D-05 if fine afterward. It's weird, but livable now that I know what to do.

It sort of suggests that Cakewalk is muting tracks by sending MIDI mute/volume commands to devices rather than just refraining from sending note information to that output & channel, which seems crazy.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am

Maybe you can use a midi software filter?
Or check it with a midi monitor?

Return to “General Gear”