Finally! Elektron add sequencer MIDI out to Analogs

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Finally! Elektron add sequencer MIDI out to Analogs

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:41 am

Wahoo! :bananaguitar:

And if anybody moans it's just note on/off, length and velocity then ffs, who hurt you/some people are never happy etc :mrgreen:

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:30 am

I'm happy for everyone who wanted the MIDI output. Yay! :lol:

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:48 am

hmm and I just sold my a4 mk1. might make it worth picking up again.

so trying to figure out the details on elektronauts. the a4 gets 6 midi tracks? one for tracks 1-4, 1 for fx, and 1 for cv?

reading more and answering my own questions it looks like it doesn't get new Midi tracks like on the OT, the midi out just mirrors the note info on whatever those 6 tracks are.

still very useful

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:25 am

LOL

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:41 am

Panason, can you please knock it off with the impulsive and reflexive behavior regarding things you don't like? You aren't bringing a single thing to the discussion and are in violation of the "don't be a douche" clause.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am

Panason wrote:LOL
I kind of posted this just for you buddy :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am

"LOL" meant "too little too late"- but yeah sure.

However, I may comment when I see people praising this gear or this company. Ban or delete as you see fit.

Edit: my comment history is there for all to see by clicking on the "Profile" icon which will bring up my profile page- there is a link in the middle of the page to show all the posts I have ever made here so anyone can check my contributions to this forum.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:18 am

Kent wrote:Panason, can you please knock it off with the impulsive and reflexive behavior regarding things you don't like? You aren't bringing a single thing to the discussion and are in violation of the "don't be a douche" clause.
Best to leave it be. If you eliminated the negativity from Panason, the energy on the board would swing so far to the positive that it would cause a great imbalance in the force, and possibly give rise to the birth of a new dark lord.

DMR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DMR » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 am

It was bizarre these machines didn't output MIDI from the start.

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:09 am

Being a rytm owner i'm pretty happy with this. In the grand scheme of things, they've added several new functions like dual oscillators (for melodic stuff, if you will), parameter randomization and midi out in the recent updates. Not bad in my book.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 am

Of course it could be done. I was arguing (well kinda, not really) with some fanboi that was defending the fact that the "analog Elektrons" can't do that and that its the nature of these boxes, or something like that that they can't do that...to which I replied that all Elektron sequencers are digital anyway.

Good to see this...I literally bought a Varigate 4+ for probability ratchets and stuff, this morning....oh well...can't have too many sequencers then.

I need to get a Mutant Brain now and use the Elektron's to drive the modular and...my A6...and the Virus...and pretty much everything that has MIDI input.

P.S. I like Papason's posts, leave him be, adds some excitement in here.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 am

nectarios wrote:
P.S. I like Papason's posts, leave him be, adds some excitement in here.
Excitement? Excrement more like.
Bringing this place down to gearslutz levels of cretinism is nothing to be
pleased about.

--------

Back to the firmware update.. Better late than never I guess?!

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 am

2 A4mk1s and 1 Rytm mk1 went down from my local craiglist, today :lol:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:19 pm

DMR wrote:It was bizarre these machines didn't output MIDI from the start.

bizarre? looks more like a strategic move

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:23 pm

What a great update for what was already fantastic machines.

:edit: I wanted to add I really applaud Elektron for supporting the mk1 machines with this update also and not just claiming its compatible with MK2 only as a way to get people to upgrade.

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:12 pm

estin wrote:I really applaud Elektron for supporting the mk1 machines with this update also and not just claiming its compatible with MK2 only as a way to get people to upgrade.
your expectations seem to be shockingly low

it would never even occur to me by looking at an Analog Four or Analog Keys that it might not send MIDI note data for the sequencers... I'd just totally expect it to send note data alongside whatever CV it's producing as a matter of course

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:25 pm

They should've done this a long, long, long time ago. Their bottom line must finally be hurting.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Wow, lots of negativity over something that's a nice, handy, addition to some cool gear.

Some people are never happy.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:56 pm

anselmi wrote:
DMR wrote:It was bizarre these machines didn't output MIDI from the start.
bizarre? looks more like a strategic move
I was thinking something along those lines as well.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:04 pm

ranix wrote: your expectations seem to be shockingly low
Yes unfortunately my expectations of behavior reflect my experiences up to this point. Many manufactures just move to stuff to "unsupported/legacy" categories and move on with their annual product. I appreciate the fact Elektron did not do this.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:26 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS NICE! I have been waiting forever for this moment :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

XXXEsq
Wiggling with Experience

Post by XXXEsq » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:31 pm

I am really happy they did this!

When I got my RYTM Mk II a few years ago, I was really pissed when it didn't output midi. Additionally, I was annoyed that it didn't include this "feature" (or more correctly lack thereof) in the product spec sheets and advertisements. I seriously considered returning it, but it does so many other things well that I decided to keep it and my old DrumBruit to do midi outs.

When I mentioned it in the Elektron boards, I got the typical range of responses from "yeah, it sucks" to "GFY, this thing's great!" Most people that responded - by a large majority - said they wanted (and many expected) midi out from such an instrument in today's market.

I went to NAMM in January of 2018 and spoke to a guy in the Elektron booth. He was really quite nice and we spoke for maybe 15 minutes. I told him I, while I really liked many things about the RYTM, I was disappointed that it didn't output midi and that they didn't disclose it in the promo materials. He was a bit defensive about the advertising issue, but he was very clear in stating that while it was "possible" for them to output midi to a certain degree (obviously not all the parameters of the sequencer lend themselves to midi out), they made an internal decision not to include that feature. But he also said that they had heard this complaint from many customers, and that they monitored the forums to see what people wanted.

Low and behold, today they release an update with midi out. I'm glad for several reasons: 1) I now have the functionality I wanted (and expected) when I bought it; and, 2) It shows me that Elektron listens to its customers which is a good way for them to be around for years to come.
Looks like I may have to reconsider buying an A4 and Octratrack... :)
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 10.5/64, Ableton Live 10/64, W10Pro/64, i75820/GigaX99SLI/16Gigs Hyper-X, 3xSSDs, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Expressionist, Social Entropy Engine, Novation SL61MKII, SL49MKII, HPD15, HR824s, NS10Ms, Analog Rytm Mk II, Komplet12, Omnisphere 2.6, RMX, Trillian, Analog Lab, MMV2, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), 700, Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

slicetwo
Common Wiggler

Post by slicetwo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:36 pm

I'm excited they did this, but I'm still selling mine. Haha. It's definitely a great addition, though.
Radioactive Sandwich | Spotify | Bandcamp | Instagram

Digitone/Digitakt/0Coast/Octatrack MKII/VirusC/Fatman/iPad/FLStudio

Things for sale on Reverb

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Far from seeing this as a sign of "desperation" on their part, I think this should be seen as a sign that they are taking the time to finally tackle things that should've been tackled a while ago, but probably required resources that have been poured into new product development.

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Neat. I was just about to sell my A4 Mk 1. May have to take another look at that decision.

Return to “General Gear”