Recommend an analogue synth with...?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Recommend an analogue synth with...?

Post by flabby » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 am

I haven't really been keeping up with all things synth lately.
Could anyone make recommendations of an analogue synth which must have the following..

1) Under 1000 Euros
2) VCO FM options
3) sequencer
4) memory/preset store and recall

Thanks!

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:12 am

Minilogue XD may be the best all-round option if you need a sequencer onboard.

DSI / Sequential synths seem superior but they cost more than a grand...

There's also the Toraiz AS-1 but it lacks enough knobs and the sequencer is probably not great to use and has a known issue with MIDI clock sync.

Then there's the Malekko Manther which also has/had issues and its MIDI spec is pretty poor- but the sequencer on that seems better than most.

There's some more obscure options like the Xenophone Hypersynth and a cheaper american "boutique" make that I forget but there's not much user feedback on those.

Undoubtedly people will suggest a used Analog 4 mk1 but I would rather eat boiled brussel sprouts than recommend it. The presence of analog circuitry doesn't neceassarily mean good sound and the "built like a tank" look doesn't necessarily mean quality..
Last edited by Panason on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:15 am

I disagree with the previous post, a used Elektron Analog Four MK I fits the bill. They can be found for $600-$700. The sound and build quality is top notch, and it is ultimately musically usable, at least IMHO.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

This and That

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:16 am

+1 for Analog 4. It's a hell of a lot of synth.

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 am

I got a used mk2 for £750 - they can definitely be had for the cash too. As others have said, a very deep synth.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:31 am

I have both A4mk1 and Minilogue XD.
I like both for different reasons.
If I had to chose one, it would be the A4 simply because it can be 4 monosynths.

FM on the A4 is from the LFO that goes into audio rate. Its ok...FM on the Minillogue sounds better.

But Minilogue XD is great, the digital oscs are very decent, can by pass the filter so you can add harmonics to the digital osc model, whilst filtering harmonics out of the analog oscs. The effects are very decent as well, much better than the effects on the A4...but unfortunately, only low pass on the Minilogue XD...although you can add resonant multimode filters in the digital effects section.
The problem with the Minilogue XD is that its very poor on the modulation sources, but if you are using Ableton Live, you have max4live and you can make your own max4live device to control the synth and add as many LFOs, sequencers, etc as you like.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I think so far I'm liking the sound of the Manther most. Although preferring features of other synths. Ha! Always the way.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:16 am

A4 is great for FM. Sub 37 does it pretty well too.

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:50 am

If it was me I'd say bugger the budget.. give me an OB-6 desktop. Sounds so much better than anything else in that price range. There's one on evil bay for $1,750. Although to be fair, FM isn't it's forte.

flabby
Veteran Wiggler

Post by flabby » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Any others I’m missing?

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Medusa just dropped into that price range.

I have the Medusa, and the XD and A4K. If I were to keep only one, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to keep the XD. It just sounds so fantastic.

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Post by Schrank » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:19 am

The original Minilogue is selling for around 350$ used.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:15 am

Ahother choice could be the Novation Circuit Mono Station. Dual VCO with paraphonic mode; ring-mod between VCOs. VCO pitches can be modulated (independently) by LFO which goes up to 200 Hz. Very cool and friendly sequencer. Doesn't beat an Analog Four by any stretch but it's much cheaper.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm

If mono suffices the xenophone is really great.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:25 am

I would strongly consider a Circuit Mono station for it's very flexible Interface. It has a lots of cv, midi, audioin. It has also velocity pads and scale mode. Beside being a analog synth I find myself using it very often as a controller either for playing plugins or with my system. But of course if you are a keyboard player, playing with pads is maybe not your thing. And dont forget the sequencer, where you can divide or multiple the length of the sequence.
And the most important thing, its very performance oriented. I use it live with a band for bass and the configurations are easy, backups can be made in a cloud etc. Its almost a bassstation by the way...

Return to “General Gear”