AMCS - Advanced Music Construction System - WW7 workstation

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

AMCS - Advanced Music Construction System - WW7 workstation

Post by qUE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:24 pm

AMCS - the Advanced Music Construction System - WW7 workstation

This year 3rd Event Technologies launched the WW7 workstation, the first product to be released by the company to supply an area in media production technologies that give hardware reliability with software capability. The product is a dedicated desktop box for making music with the unique AMCS operating system. The robust case contains a VIA Technologies APC8750 board featuring an ARM processor, 512 megabytes of memory, a micro SD slot, four USB ports, 3.5mm stereo audio jacks, VGA and HDMI video output. With dimensions of 22cm wide by 11cm deep by 4.4cm high, makes it one of the smaller and lighter devices of its kind on the market.

AMCS is an embedded step sequencer with a "Tracker-like" interface which sole purpose is for music production. Roughly two decades ago the creation of the system began due to its creator wanting to produce studio grade sound and being stuck with a Tracker software only able to use short low-fidelity sound samples and no MIDI support. Historically Tracker had been hugely popular with music making on many computer platforms and presented in many variations, but by design has always been aimed at low computer resources, which led to limitations in capability.

The concept of making music through a top-down grid interface is still popular with music producers using newer sequencers, often remakes of classic Tracker software removing previous limitations and enabling full music production.

AMCS differs from Tracker in an ability to create music live, a user can compose and tweak whilst playing. Also instead of set length patterns, there are 256 variable loops that can contain up to 256 cues of notes or functions. These are then blended with a mixer which has 256 arrangements able to be stored and recalled in different ways.

However like Tracker, the system is light on computer processing, making it capable of operating on energy efficient technology and tolerate warm environments without failure.

The live performance aspect of AMCS allows for the system to be used like a DJ would mixing music, except that all the parts can be changed on the fly, leading to an ability to take the performance in any direction the artist likes.

Opposed to other music sequencers there is no requirement to pre-own or set up a computer, it has a clear graphical interface and is ready to use for anyone wanting to make music.

Launch price tag is 249 GBP, limited stock available to the UK;
http://amcs.3rdevent.net/upgrade.htm

---

3rd Event Technologies are proud to announce;

The new Advanced Music Construction System - WW7 workstation.

AMCS is a dedicated music production system targeted at live performance.

It is unique and features;

256 poly-loop tracks with up to 256 steps of MIDI and CD-quality audio.

Mixing with 256 customisable presets mapped to tactile controllers.

Instrument routing and stacking with extensive control of the MIDI architecture.

Everything can be used during live performances.

And much more.

The system is tough and lightweight, has a quick power up, no cooling requirement and is suitable for touring.

Supplied with a touchpad keyboard, MIDI interface and 4 gigabytes of removable storage.

Limited stock available at a reasonable price.

Please check the official website for more details and how to purchase; http://amcs.3rdevent.net/upgrade.htm

Any queries, please contact us via e-mail at contact@3rdevent.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by qUE on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 pm

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks for posting links to the tutorial videos tobb :D

We were planning on making more but I've been weighed under with development and I haven't had time to rig a camera setup for the system tester in his studio.

Also the device in the tutorial is a prototype we're unable to offer as a full system as explained why on the WW7 Workstation web page.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:32 am

Why UK only?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:22 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Why UK only?
A few reasons;

The production run is small so any loss of stock through a courier would be costly for us, and if you've ever dealt with couriers they have a clear attitude of "it's your problem not ours". We can at least claim compensation in the UK because we can legally small claim, where as the rest of the world are under different jurisdictions, so it would likely result in us just losing money.

We're insured for the UK, if an AMCS unit got thrown at someones head and they were injured (would be an impressive feat), we're covered, otherwise for the rest of the world we're not.

Should anyone need replacement parts or me to be somewhere to help with/fix something, we can be there within reasonable time and cost for everyone.

This however doesn't mean we won't sell to someone in the UK and they send it on, just will have to forfeit the above.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:32 am

I don't undertsand what this is - embedded OS to run on what? The videos are from the 90s?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 am

The. Website linked fills you in.

It’s a keyboard and hardware box to plug into a monitor for £265 if I re,ember correctly.

If the midi timing is good, looks like a fun way to edit sequences for live performances.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:54 am

Panason wrote:I don't undertsand what this is - embedded OS to run on what? The videos are from the 90s?
It is a unique Music Production Operating System which comes pre-installed on a compatible ARM based device.

The videos aren't from the 90s, they're just done on a budget, the Netbook and Roland MC-303 view is a Playstation 2 "Play" camera. The Netbook didn't exist in the 90s.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:04 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:The. Website linked fills you in.

It’s a keyboard and hardware box to plug into a monitor for £265 if I re,ember correctly.

If the midi timing is good, looks like a fun way to edit sequences for live performances.
Yup, MIDI timing is solid. The thing that makes it an absolute gem for live use, is you can switch the mixer presets real time bringing in/out parts when ever you want.

If you like Techno, I've done a few live sets on mixcloud; www.mixcloud.com/invertedlightsource
The DJX one is pretty good in April.

Launch price is 249 quids (this is because our costs may change later due to embedded board/material sourcing). I think it's a fair price competitive with the beatstep pro.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:21 am

Panason wrote:The videos are from the 90s?
Lolz

seychmar
Common Wiggler

Post by seychmar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:37 am

Sorry guys, but that reasoning is straight out of the 1950s. The music tech world is full of small and very small businesses selling globally. Heck, even private individuals sell much more costly stuff to people on the other side of the world and it’s a perfectly acceptable and manageable risk.

Good luck, but I just hope your reasoning doesn’t spread.

qUE wrote:
A few reasons;

The production run is small so any loss of stock through a courier would be costly for us, and if you've ever dealt with couriers they have a clear attitude of "it's your problem not ours". We can at least claim compensation in the UK because we can legally small claim, where as the rest of the world are under different jurisdictions, so it would likely result in us just losing money.

We're insured for the UK, if an AMCS unit got thrown at someones head and they were injured (would be an impressive feat), we're covered, otherwise for the rest of the world we're not.

Should anyone need replacement parts or me to be somewhere to help with/fix something, we can be there within reasonable time and cost for everyone.

This however doesn't mean we won't sell to someone in the UK and they send it on, just will have to forfeit the above.

DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:57 pm

qUE wrote:
Panason wrote:I don't undertsand what this is - embedded OS to run on what? The videos are from the 90s?
The videos aren't from the 90s, they're just done on a budget, the Netbook and Roland MC-303 view is a Playstation 2 "Play" camera. The Netbook didn't exist in the 90s.
Shenanigans. You shot it with that camera for the hip, retro vibe. Your cell phone takes way better video than a 320x240 webcam.
Combine that with the dubious UK-only reasoning, and... I'm out.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:06 pm

DJFonzi wrote:Shenanigans. You shot it with that camera for the hip, retro vibe. Your cell phone takes way better video than a 320x240 webcam.
Funnily enough, this is opposite to my reaction.

a) these aren't experienced, polished marketers who think of how to make things look more awesome

b) they're not experienced at solving business problems.

Duly noted, but they do seem devoted to creating something that looks very good at solving their core problems.

That makes me consider that it may be a halfway decent product, just looking for some corporate love. I kind of expect it to be better now, not worse.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:21 am

DJFonzi wrote:
qUE wrote:
Shenanigans. You shot it with that camera for the hip, retro vibe. Your cell phone takes way better video than a 320x240 webcam.
Whilst this would be a great excuse for the low quality video, it's simply not true. Next you'll be saying AMCS runs on an Acorn Archimedes A3000 computer because it's hip, rather accepting it's heritage is with that machine.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 am

seychmar wrote:Sorry guys, but that reasoning is straight out of the 1950s. The music tech world is full of small and very small businesses selling globally. Heck, even private individuals sell much more costly stuff to people on the other side of the world and it’s a perfectly acceptable and manageable risk.

Good luck, but I just hope your reasoning doesn’t spread.

qUE wrote:
A few reasons;

I'm sure they have the finances to mitigate that risk, we don't. Like what is said, the reasoning is from experience.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 am

Koekepan wrote:
DJFonzi wrote:Shenanigans. You shot it with that camera for the hip, retro vibe. Your cell phone takes way better video than a 320x240 webcam.
Funnily enough, this is opposite to my reaction.

a) these aren't experienced, polished marketers who think of how to make things look more awesome

b) they're not experienced at solving business problems.

Duly noted, but they do seem devoted to creating something that looks very good at solving their core problems.

That makes me consider that it may be a halfway decent product, just looking for some corporate love. I kind of expect it to be better now, not worse.
This may actually be an issue with the music tech. industry in general, people expecting start ups to have sharp marketing with high budgets. But you only have to look at what's happening with companies turning to crowd funding to see it isn't the case.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:58 am

qUE wrote:This may actually be an issue with the music tech. industry in general, people expecting start ups to have sharp marketing with high budgets. But you only have to look at what's happening with companies turning to crowd funding to see it isn't the case.
In that case, one direction in which I might be able to help:

Allow for international customers, but make very clear that the terms of shipping are FOB, and that while you will furnish tracking numbers and all that, shipment is at the purchaser's risk. That way, you acknowledge that it's not for everyone, but people who really want it and are willing to roll the dice on international shipping can be customers as well.

It's not fair, I suppose, but geography isn't fair.

DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 pm

qUE wrote:
Whilst this would be a great excuse for the low quality video, it's simply not true. Next you'll be saying AMCS runs on an Acorn Archimedes A3000 computer because it's hip, rather accepting it's heritage is with that machine.
Well, next time I make it to Bath, I'll add a couple hours and bring you a couple of old cell phones that are laying around that'll shoot HD video for you. Seriously.

Now, when I manage to make it back to Bath remains to be seen... I'd totally just mail them to you, but sounds like that's problematic.

DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Koekepan wrote: a) these aren't experienced, polished marketers who think of how to make things look more awesome
Neither is my 15 year old son, but he's managed to upload HD videos to YouTube since he was 11.

The effort required to digitize video from an ancient Sega camera is greater than using something contemporary. That's why I found it tough to believe it was used because it was the easiest thing at hand.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:35 pm

This whole thread reminds me of when (all too commonplace) someone “demoing” a multi thousand dollar setup recording the audio with a cell phone. Seriously now. If you are so invested in this musical equipment but can’t be bothered to... ya know, actually record audio for real, then wtf are you doing???

You designing a whole computer system to compose music but can’t record a decent video? I don’t think we’re on the same wavelength, chances are our mentality of composing music isn’t aligned either.

Now, on to the actual device - I LOVE the concept of a dedicated music composition box. (Essentially a sequencer w/HDMI port) Not so sure it’s where it would have to be for me to purchase. Even if i wasn’t blocked by the typical UK “can’t ship anything anywhere” mentality.

Steve

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:38 pm

this is for the kind of people who are still using an Atari to run their DAW

there is a version of this software that runs on an Acorn Archimedes

if you aren't into single-tasking computers that do one thing at a time, do it very well, and do nothing else then go to some other thread

if you really wanted one badly I'm sure you could figure out how to get one shipped to the USA. If you just want a shiny new macguffin to ease your GAS get a MiST or something

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler

Post by gminorcoles » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Very interesting need more information

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am

Koekepan wrote:
qUE wrote:This may actually be an issue with the music tech. industry in general, people expecting start ups to have sharp marketing with high budgets. But you only have to look at what's happening with companies turning to crowd funding to see it isn't the case.
In that case, one direction in which I might be able to help:

Allow for international customers, but make very clear that the terms of shipping are FOB, and that while you will furnish tracking numbers and all that, shipment is at the purchaser's risk. That way, you acknowledge that it's not for everyone, but people who really want it and are willing to roll the dice on international shipping can be customers as well.

It's not fair, I suppose, but geography isn't fair.
I've not seen suppliers have that clause and most payment providers will side with the buyer on any dispute. But this isn't to say what you're saying isn't true, I'll have to look into it.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:38 am

Just to clear up the video budget thing;
The Roland MC-303 was a hand me down which I repaired.
The Cameras were hand me down and charity shop finds.
The Netbook was a hand me down because it couldn't be used for anything useful with Android or CE.
The only things bought for those videos were the black backdrop, a wearable microphone and a USB video encoding stick (which came in under a tenner in total)

The two Cameras were recorded simultaneously to ease editing (which they solved)
And believe it or not the Audio is actually Line recorded straight onto the Computer!

But this said I've had better Cameras "HD" for a while now, just not had the time to do more videos :)

I should also add that the videos are Tutorials and not swanky promotional adverts.
Last edited by qUE on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:40 am

[Corrupt/Duplicate post]

Return to “General Gear”