Phonocut Home Vinyl Recorder

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:37 am

This looks pretty damn awesome. I want one.

https://phonocut.com

Today introducing the PHONOCUT HOME VINYL RECORDER.
A simply revolutionary precision machine, to finally introduce a new chapter of record production by reducing it to 3 simple steps:

1) Place the Vinyl blank on the platter
2) Connect to the music input of your choice
3) Press the start button

Kickstarter

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:24 am

If you are smart don't throw any money at this gadget or you will regret.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:26 am

tobb wrote:If you are smart don't throw any money at this gadget or you will regret.
why is that?

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am

Love the concept. If it is reliable, decent quality, and isn't prohibitively expensive, I'd get one. I don't know much about vinyl cutting, so I have no idea if this will be legit or not, so I would not be an early adopter. But I hope it works out!

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:09 am

According to the Wired article below, it will cost $1,100, and it won't ship until December 2020 at the earliest. Makes 10 inch records, which hold 10-15 minutes of audio on each side.

The phonocut website says the blank records will cost $10 each.

https://www.wired.com/story/phonocut/

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 am

Nice endeavor! I've looked at a few of these in the past and the deal breaker for me has always been the cost of the stylus. Usually comes out to around 20 hours or so per stylus (that's running time) before you need to replace or resharpen. The needles cost a lot, $200-500.

I'm not seeing any sort of vacuum in the unit to deal with dust and cuttings? And how is it converting/EQ'ing the signal to vinyl frequency? If it's just an automatic plug-in inside that can make for pretty flat sounding music.

A few existing products that I've enjoyed looking into over the last few years:
https://www.vinylrecorder.com/
Note some of the needed equipment: https://www.vinylrecorder.com/order.html

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7682

And the Vinylium: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4841
SPOKEN WORD WITH ELECTRONICS, http://www.ep.tc/spoken-word
Support the show: https://eptc.bandcamp.com/album/spoken- ... sodes-1-10

This week's episode is on noise and fixed filter bank sound design for Eraserhead and 2001, A Space Odyssey:

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 am

I don't like being negative about stuff but I'd hate to see people buying this expecting to get anywhere close to the kind of results you get from pressing records from professionally cut lacquers.

Alarm bells for me:

"PHONOCUT optimizes the audio for your cuts." - so it does some kind of preset mastering algorithm to your music. There really is a reason mastering engineers have those amazing monitors, rooms & high end processing. "Optimising" is a very subjective and hard to pin down thing!

No groove width or depth control. How does it know how to space and cut the grooves if it doesn't know ahead of time the duration of the side, the bass contect and overall level of the music etc?

Confused nonsense about "mixtapes" when it's a disc cutting machine makes me think they are clearly not aiming at people who know much about records.

On the video showing the machine in use (only for about 1 second), you can see the swarf just sitting on the disc. It's going to get in the way! Either there's a vacuum they're not showing or it's going to have problems with swarf. They are obviously avoiding posting a clear video of the thing actually cutting a disc.

Minijack input only!

It really looks like a novelty item for people with a lot of money. I mean it might be fun to make record that plays but if it makes really good-sounding records I'll eat my monitors. Not saying it won't be fun if you don't have high expectations. I am sure some users will get a lot of pleasure from it.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:26 am

Also, check section 4 of the kickstarter t&cs...
https://www.kickstarter.com/section4?re ... eatoroblig

A similar project for a disc cutting machine a few years ago was never delivered and many backers claim to have lost their money.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:27 am

Minijack input... :lol:

It could be used to cut chiptune "dub plates" for playing in mono at the espresso power latte bar, the one where you need to look like this to enter:

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Yeah, the minijack input isn't ideal for something you're paying over $1,000 for, and the automatic "optimization" it does seems to be a huge negative. At a minimum, they should let you bypass that.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 am

Remember this

We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:15 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:Remember this
Yes! Thank you for posting that! I remember a friend of mine and I drooling over reading about! Your post just totally jogged a hardcore nostalgic memory.

And that grey bar styling. Vestax was like the Nintendo of turntable hardware. I still have and love using a Vestax mixer for my turntables and use a Handytrax for buying records. it's really sad the company is gone.

All proper vinyl cutters, like the Vestax one, show a huge amount of hardware and monitoring tools absent from the Phonocut. I'll be curious about it once it makes it out the gate and people can post about their experience with it.
Last edited by EPTC on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

This week's episode is on noise and fixed filter bank sound design for Eraserhead and 2001, A Space Odyssey:

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Yeah - even having just done cursory investigation into custom vinyl pressing, the number of factors that need to be done properly that they're just glossing over or not even mentioning here is fairly staggering.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Man-In-A-Suitcase

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Last edited by Man-In-A-Suitcase on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Man-In-A-Suitcase wrote:Heh! i once looked into getting vinyl pressed, but soon figured i would have to sell an album at 25 to 30 quid just to break even!
These days you should be able to get the total cost per piece down to like $6-8 USD for a single 12" without full color sleeve, etc if you do a run of 300-500.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:52 pm

this thing will deliver very poor results

a friend have a vinyl cutter here and the process is FAR from being automatic. You have to dedicate a lot of time with both preparation of the audio, track order measurement of a lot of variables and a close following of the whole process to make it happens the way you expect

he spent like 1 year just calibrating the machine and refining the cut routine just to get acceptable results that can match what you get from a professional release...there is a lot of stuff in the process that can ruin the whole thing and every record is a different story

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:09 pm

All of you should better chill the frick out or get an idea of the man who is behind this machine. If you don't know who is flo kaufmann you really...sorry had couple of :guinness: but seriously...they founded 200k within a day or two...and he's the man.

the one and only dude who knows about the neumann cutter head as much as the engineer did who designed it. you might wanna search 'der herr der rille' and 'das magazin' and pay for that article if you can read german and are into vinyl.

afaik there are xlr inputs on that piece of gear.

one love...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:27 pm

slumberjack wrote:All of you should better chill the frick out or get an idea of the man who is behind this machine. If you don't know who is flo kaufmann you really...sorry had couple of :guinness: but seriously...they founded 200k within a day or two...and he's the man.

the one and only dude who knows about the neumann cutter head as much as the engineer did who designed it. you might wanna search 'der herr der rille' and 'das magazin' and pay for that article if you can read german and are into vinyl.

afaik there are xlr inputs on that piece of gear.

one love...

shut up! and knee to the mighty kaufmann! :hail:
he will break the laws of physics with his amazing cut-on-groove powers!

watch out, forum villains!

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:09 pm

peripatitis wrote:
tobb wrote:If you are smart don't throw any money at this gadget or you will regret.
why is that?
Its gadget,likely fun/cool factor but due to the quit high pricetag (VS quality/reliability you will get) might be more of a disappointment.

Per anselmi write that is one thing,other is the hardware that is totally laughable. Does not matter if youa re an expert in vinyl cutting or not,its about making money here nothing more..

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Did I read correctly—Andy Kaufman is behind this?!
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:45 pm

slumberjack wrote: but seriously...they founded 200k within a day or two...and he's the man.
Yeah, but, that's without a product in hand, my main dude! :hihi:

No one has said it's a wack item. But the lack of proper monitoring tools is a little weird. But if this is being sold as a polaroid for the lathe set, then I dig it.
Last edited by EPTC on Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:00 pm

But, man, this one line of text from the FAQ is totally a prank, though.
Can I connect to PHONOCUT wirelessly?

It's in development. More on that soon.
I hope they don't mean wireless audio connections. How can that not sound like crap? Even if it's technically possible, why offer it.
Last edited by EPTC on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:51 pm

anselmi wrote: shut up! and knee to the mighty kaufmann! :hail:
he will break the laws of physics with his amazing cut-on-groove powers!

watch out, forum villains!
"Flo" is here on the forum and absolutely a respected member.
his nick is "flo" or "Flo"............so,............

Me, really just a watcher from outside with not so much knowledge i´m very much in doubt myself that such machine could be possible,
but its ridiculius to think that people like "Flo" would head for a cheap and dirty dollar.

Guys, check the "phonocut" link above, dive down to the second section: "Team" .......and look.
This ,imho, definitly suggests that these people are reaching out to the audio people like us, and not for the kiddys of the rich who want to record to vinyl what was spoken at the breakfast table. ;)

This has my interest since flo is part of the team. But not having the funds to just throw it out to kickstarter. ( modularaddict, etc. etc. ;) )

read:....scroll further down to "projects" / https://phonocut.com/
Currently we are traveling LA, one of the world`s music capitals, with our sexy shining and fully functional PHONOCUT HOME VINYL RECORDER prototype for a whole series of first PHONOCUT recording test sessions
seems they have a machine going and not just a render ...........?
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Regarding the comparison video presented on the Phonocut Kickstarter page:

Those of you who can't immediately hear the sonic difference between the master digital recording and the vinyl pressing made on this thing OR the vinyl pressing "professionally" made on the Scully lathe deserve to lose your $1,100. If this POS works at all the EPs it makes will sound somewhere between a lo-end cassette tape and AM radio.

I finally understand why for the last 25 years everyone thinks that music should be free: Shitty-quality copies of well-made and well-recorded music really do have no intrinsic value.

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 pm

nuromantix wrote: Alarm bells for me:

"PHONOCUT optimizes the audio for your cuts." - so it does some kind of preset mastering algorithm to your music. There really is a reason mastering engineers have those amazing monitors, rooms & high end processing. "Optimising" is a very subjective and hard to pin down thing!
it's probably refering to the RIAA curve that needs to be applied.

For anyone interested the Lathetrolls discussion is over here.

Return to “General Gear”