Could use some help with my MIDI rig

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Could use some help with my MIDI rig

Post by Bogus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 am

Hello folks,

I'm scratching my head over here trying to figure out how to use multiple MIDI sequencers to control multiple synths in one giant rig. I thought it would be as easy as having them all plugged into the same MIDI merger box and setting a given sequencer and synth to talk on the same midi channel. So far nothing seems to be working.

Here's my setup.

2x eMagic AMT8 MIDI split/merge boxes (total 16 INs and 16 OUTs)

Octatrack mkII as Master Sync

Keystep and Beatstep Pro as additional MIDI sequencers
Digitone and Digitakt as potential other MIDI sequencers if I can figure this out
(These four are set to receive sync from the Octatrack)

Several midi synths and eurorack modules including the digitakt and digitone above (minus the OT) I am wanting to recieve note and cc data.

My attempts at routing say my keystep to my minibrute over channel 16 for instance havent worked so far. Up until this past week I've been using my OT as the only midi device without any issue. But just recently have wanted to try sequencing with the other gear I mentioned without losing the OT as my master clock.

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions :-)

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Could use some help with my MIDI rig

Post by Arneb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:59 am

Bogus wrote:My attempts at routing say my keystep to my minibrute over channel 16 for instance havent worked so far.
Does a direct connection Keystep->Minibrute over Ch16 work? If so, does Keystep->AMT8->Minibrute with nothing else plugged in work?

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 am

I have a fairly complex MIDI signal chain with 1 clock source and multiple sequencers running, using multiple MERGE boxes. It works. Might be a configuration setting in your merge/thru boxes?

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 am

You need the master sequencer to generate & output clock and you need to be sure your alternate sequencers are receiving midi clock and are set to use external midi clock. You will know it works when hitting play on the master sequencer starts playback on all the others. Most have these settings on the software but on the keystep you have to unplug it then flip the jumpers on the back up for MIDI clock.

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:38 am

I suppose you know how to setup everything but sometimes...
Have you trt the most basic troubleshooting ?

Like :
- Octatrack with send sync/clock on to any of your synth.
- Verify it works.
- Then use one midi track on the octa to make the synth play.
- Verify it works.
- Plug your merger between the octa and your synth.
- Verify it works.
- Put your beatstep directly in your synth.Make a sequence.
- Verify your synth plays.
- Put the octa and tne bsp into the merger, merger to synth.
- Verify your synth plays both.
- Finally sync your bsp to the octa.

I also have multiple midi mergers, a bome box and some midi processing and the little Midipal/Gal/Bro have proven to be invaluable for troubleshooting when things get complex.

For me,the most flexible, fun and hassle free way to handle midi switching on the fly between synths have been the nord G2.
I have a patch that basically makes only midi routing/merging/processing/muting between 10 midi sources. So convenient !
Sig !

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:43 pm

I think what has already been said should be enough. If not, a sync box seems like the thing to have for such setups. Maybe the Roland SBX-1 or the ERM Multiclock if you have the moneys.

I spent a lot of time trying to synchronise boxes each running their own sequencer but have pretty much given up on this approach and will be using only one capable sequencer driving everything from now on... and use other quirky sequencers as writing tools just to generate patterns that I could not come up with otherwise, then grab those patterns as MIDI or audio and use them in the main sequencer.

I mean, you CAN sync the clocks , but in my experience different devices tend to have a different amount of lag when syncing to external clock (can be overcome with the Multiclock)... and orchestrating pattern changes is another story...

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:31 am

Linking the various sequencers over midi cable directly to synths like Keystep>Minibrute works.

Linking the Octatrack to the MIDI in of the midi box and then out to the sequencers sends clock and other commands just fine (total of 5 MIDI sequencers properly accepting clock)

Its when I try to send note data from a given sequencer to a given synth that I run into nothing. The MIDI box indicates with an LED that it is taking note data in to the system but it doesn't seem to make it back out to whatever synth is on the same channel as the sequencer.

Apparently there is a little app that let's me configure the routing and some other preferences so I'll dig into that and see if I can fix this issue. Is it neccessary to block all other inputs from reaching a synth even if that synth and the sequencer I want to use are exclusively on their own midi channel?

KaOsphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by KaOsphere » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 am

Synths tend to ignore what is not on their channel.
But complex box like octatrack can listen/send, tons of midi datas across all channels and may, under certain circumstances overflow a midi receiver, but this is higly unprobable and too much midi datas generally leads to glicth/freeze and not interrupt the flow.
It is almost 99% certain, you have a configuration problem...
Sig !

Nonbeing
Learning to Wiggle

My midi setup

Post by Nonbeing » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:58 pm

This is why I find single box challenges refreshing

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 pm

Bogus wrote:Linking the various sequencers over midi cable directly to synths like Keystep>Minibrute works.

Linking the Octatrack to the MIDI in of the midi box and then out to the sequencers sends clock and other commands just fine (total of 5 MIDI sequencers properly accepting clock)

Its when I try to send note data from a given sequencer to a given synth that I run into nothing. The MIDI box indicates with an LED that it is taking note data in to the system but it doesn't seem to make it back out to whatever synth is on the same channel as the sequencer.

Apparently there is a little app that let's me configure the routing and some other preferences so I'll dig into that and see if I can fix this issue. Is it neccessary to block all other inputs from reaching a synth even if that synth and the sequencer I want to use are exclusively on their own midi channel?
I use close to the same setup as yours, multiple sequencers into kenton midi merge and then into a thru box that simply goes to all the synths, midi is also routed from the thru into all the other seq. Except the one that sends master clock. be aware that some merge boxes doesnt automatically detect what the master seq. Clock is "master" if that makes sense, some has midi in 1 always to be the master. But yeah, all i can say is, kenton just works

Return to “General Gear”