I hate LEDs

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:30 am

LEDs are fine as long as they are old school amber red and green. Anything super bright, blue, purple etc are a pain.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:19 pm

Maybe you are a Cwejman guy?

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by porphyrion » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Artificial light at night has been linked to increased cancer-rates (among other affronts such as diabetes, obesity, ADHD, sleeping disorders, cataracts etc etc).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5454613/

The sun is the only light-source our cells and brains became attuned to over billions of years of evolution. Artificial lights have been around for less than 140 years and they send out the 'wrong' frequencies for our bodies. Since 1880 (the dawn of the lightbulb) there has been an explosion in chronic diseases in spite of a kazillion medical breakthroughs. And not just in the elderly, but also in kids (ADHD, sleeping problems, obesity, even adult-onset diabetes!, depression, anxiety, autism etc etc)

John Ott wrote a very readable introduction on the issue of artificial lighting and its many effects on human life. Highly recommended just to open the possibility in your mind that light might affect you more deeply than previously assumed.

Ott, John N. (1973). Health and Light: The Effects of Natural and Artificial Light on Man and Other Living Things.

Blue LEDs are not just an aesthetic 'problem', given enough time they become a serious health hazard. (I know this sounds hyperbole, but please read up before judging as you might be surprised). 140 years of ill-conceived exposure with so many side-effects do not really compare to billions of years of evolution while being exposed to the great enabler of all life on this planet.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:29 pm

porphyrion wrote:Artificial light at night has been linked to increased cancer-rates (among other affronts such as diabetes, obesity, ADHD, sleeping disorders, cataracts etc etc).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5454613/

The sun is the only light-source our cells and brains became attuned to over billions of years of evolution. Artificial lights have been around for less than 140 years and they send out the 'wrong' frequencies for our bodies. Since 1880 (the dawn of the lightbulb) there has been an explosion in chronic diseases in spite of a kazillion medical breakthroughs. And not just in the elderly, but also in kids (ADHD, sleeping problems, obesity, even adult-onset diabetes!.
So just be clear, we can lay the cause of pretty much every modern ill at the feet of some bright coloured LEDs?

Take a deep breath and consider all the social, societal and technological developments that have been introduced since the 1880's. Consider also the panoply diseases that have been controlled since that time.

I like vacuous hyperbole as much as the next person, but this kind of rabid nonsense doesn't really move the discussion forward. YMMV, but a few red and white (not too bright) LEDs in a rack work fine, especially as we move into the festive period.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Blairio wrote:especially as we move into the festive period.
:hihi:

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Blairio wrote:I like vacuous hyperbole as much as the next person, but this kind of rabid nonsense doesn't really move the discussion forward. YMMV, but a few red and white (not too bright) LEDs in a rack work fine, especially as we move into the festive period.
Can I take a pass on the quackery and just continue to hate them because they're physically painful to look at/work around?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Especially when yr stoned immaculate!

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:24 pm

The world is only going to have MORE LEDs going forward. Tons of LEDs. The entire world, and any world we colonize if we don't bring about our own destruction will have increasing amounts of LEDs in just about every imaginable medium that needs any form of indication at all, and many that don't.

It will be beautiful!

:cloud:

These aren't LEDs, but I think you get the picture. This will be a wonderful time.

Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 pm

J3RK wrote:Image
Alan Parsons: 2099
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:31 pm

commodorejohn wrote:
J3RK wrote:Image
Alan Parsons: 2099
Indeed!!! At the Eye in the Sky Space Station. :lol:

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:48 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Blairio wrote:I like vacuous hyperbole as much as the next person, but this kind of rabid nonsense doesn't really move the discussion forward. YMMV, but a few red and white (not too bright) LEDs in a rack work fine, especially as we move into the festive period.
Can I take a pass on the quackery and just continue to hate them because they're physically painful to look at/work around?
Absolutely. Hence my point about them being ok if they are not too bright. And for sure, what is 'too' bright will vary for different folks. I would love to be able to add a dimmer circuit to the my WMD SSF Spectrum, but the mod is way beyond my technical chops.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:32 am

Is it LED hating season again already? Golly!
And whats the deal with blue ones especially? Its not 1995 any more.. They haven't been retina burners for, well, 20+ years. And blue is just a colour like any other, no?

But hey.. Bring on the HATRED!!! :hyper:

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Luap wrote:Is it LED hating season again already? Golly!
And whats the deal with blue ones especially? Its not 1995 any more.. They haven't been retina burners for, well, 20+ years. And blue is just a colour like any other, no?

But hey.. Bring on the HATRED!!! :hyper:
Oh I'll bring the hatred... wait... no. I love blue LEDs. However, I like to run them with a bit lower current, and I like to find them with some diffusion and a more pleasant darker blue color rather than the near-aqua color that was the default for so many years. Lumex has some REALLY nice looking blue ones.

ellitone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ellitone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:47 pm

wat?

artisticspider
Learning to Wiggle

Post by artisticspider » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:00 am

LEDs seem to be the first thing that ever goes wrong, at least for me. On 2 separate occasions I've had some LED issues where a light "tap" will get it to turn on like it's supposed to and it will work through the whole session, then the next time I boot up, it's dead again.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 am

artisticspider wrote:LEDs seem to be the first thing that ever goes wrong, at least for me. On 2 separate occasions I've had some LED issues where a light "tap" will get it to turn on like it's supposed to and it will work through the whole session, then the next time I boot up, it's dead again.
That is very strange. I've run across a bad LED or three in my travels, but unless it was being fed too much current, I've never seen one die or behave intermittently. (unless it was something else causing the problem) I wonder if you had a bad solder joint or something in whatever was driving the LEDs in that gear.

reaganry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reaganry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:04 pm

blw wrote:Maybe you are a Cwejman guy?
ah, these seem pretty chill- thanks! on further review i'm a cwejman guy on a behringer budget
Last edited by reaganry on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reaganry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reaganry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Randy wrote: I also "diffuse" other LEDs by carefully using a file or Dremel to take the shine off the front.
interesting tip!

reaganry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reaganry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:11 pm

chvad wrote: I grabbed some of these for the brighter modules:
thanks! - wonder how these compare to black masking tape. i find white modeling clay works best on arduinos

reaganry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reaganry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 pm

porphyrion wrote:Indoors, I recommend orange 'Blue Light-blocker-glasses' ..
Also add to this an Infrared-lamp in the background
i've been trying both!

reaganry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reaganry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:I’m not a huge fan , they should all come with dimmers.
part of the problem is dimming leds involves turning them into strobe lights(PWM)

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm

I don't really mind them; most modules have a quite good rationale for putting them in. The red/green indicator pairs are absolutely great and I love it when modules use those, such as the Noise Engineering iteritas schemes, those are extremely functional IMO especially with such busy graphics and thin typeface; imagine not having those LEDs and trying to read one of those modules in very dim light.

I also like green representing CV levels because sometimes as you're fiddling trying to adjust something your fingers are covering up the knob and you don't exactly have a good sense of how much you've been adjusting something, but looking at the LED dimming/brightening gives a better idea what you're doing live. Also, to have LEDs indicating active functions/rates for activities on modules you haven't patched into yet that session, I find that ultra-handy to again, know at a glance what's going on with the module ~before~ patching something in and possibly throwing your patch way out-of-whack.

Blue ones look cool but aren't good for the eyes; for example the Joranalogue Filter 8 looks pretty cool in operation but is a bit glaring, reminiscent of looking directly into a 4ms rotating clock divider (which should come with sunglasses; a few of those could illuminate a room). So I think most of us agree that glaring LED blue isn't the best, but otherwise I don't find lighting to be an issue at all. For some modules like modDemix it's kind of overkill when in retrospect just two red/green indicators would have sufficed, but it's not the end of the world when that happens. Red light, after all, does not reset the cones/rods in your eyes (that's why car brakelights are red) so will not blind you in dim light, while blue is the color that messes with your eyes the most in the dark.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:45 am

Zenn wrote:
Mark11Audio wrote:You guys must really hate me then !!!
Not you, just your LEDs
Mark11Audio wrote:I absolutely HATE RED LED's... :mad: :mad: :mad: and pay extra to have them swapped out for what are classified as "cool colors" in the spectrum, Blue, Green and Purple...
lol. i'm with you Zenny. i haven't gone so far as paying to have LEDs swapped, mostly because i don't trust myself to keep my setup stable, but i swap out slider LEDs for blue.

hate red. orange, pink and purple are my favorite. blue is nifty too.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

qUE
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qUE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Thing I found out a while back about the DAW controllers with customisable LED colours is that, put them in daylight they can't be seen. A friend of mine turned up to play with his laptop and a controller, we had to mock up a sunlight shelter with a towel and two Technics deck covers.

So not particularly great for daytime festivals :/

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:40 pm

Count me on the Blue LED Haters Club. It's bad for human health and for some reason is always blindingly bright. If it could be dimmed, and I don't see why it couldn't, I'd be more open to it. But the wavelength still interferes with circadian rhythm.

My favorite color is the mellow "yellowish-green" LED. That color with silver aluminum panels is just :sb:

Really, my beef is with ANY color of LED that is blindingly bright. It's not just limited to blue LEDs... The red LEDs on my Loafers module were so bright, I had to paint over them with red acrylic paint so that the light would only bleed out on the sides. Even with the paint "caps" on the LEDs, they're still more than bright enough to see in a well-lit room... Kinda ridiculous.

My new rule is that regardless of color, any module that is blindingly bright I will either send back for a refund, or if it's an absolute keeper, paint over the LEDs with a matching acrylic color. I have a zero tolerance policy for this shit anymore. :mrgreen:

Manufacturers should be held accountable and 4ms should be held up as a role model for their inclusion of LED brightness trim pots on their modules. My 4ms RCD was too bright out of the box - turning the trim pot screw solved that 100% in 2 seconds. Bravo, 4ms! :yay:

Return to “General Gear”