Malekko Manther alternatives for sequenced bass(ish) duties

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Post by heckadecimal69 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:40 am

Very much agree the A4 is capable, just takes some patch programming.
And there are a million presets out there if programming isn't your thing.

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 am

Sound > features.

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Post by heckadecimal69 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Use > talk

User avatar
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3850
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by computer controlled » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:45 pm

I have a Manther, it sounds wonderful. Fairly aggressive out of the box, great for bass lines. I do a lot of EBM and it's perfect those types of sequences. I've also had the Elektron A4, which i also really liked. You really couldn't go wrong with either of them. I'd also look into the Behringer MS-101, or even the Neutron coupled with either a BeatStep Pro or a Keystep. The SH-01a Boutique as well. The SE-02 is a good choice, sounds huge, and great for bubbly bass sequences.. Perhaps look at the JU-06A as well.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . PCM 41 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:28 am

Panason wrote:Sound > features.
They go hand in hand in some cases.
For example, some people have complained the A4 is not bassy enough.

But its features and more specifically the second multimode filter, allows to dial in extra bass and have very detailed control over it too.

Also, "Sound" is subjective.
Some people would say DX 7 > Minimoog, others would say Minimoog > DX 7...and they are all correct in their minds.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm


Very much so.
The people that say it cannot make deep bass, can't program a bass patch to save their lives.

It has two resonant filters, the second one is multimode and you can easily use the high pass with resonance (or peak if you don't want to use the high pass), focus on the frequency you want and boost it with resonance. You can even set that filter to track the notes and use P-Locks so you can have control of which notes get boosted and by how much.

Its a very "generic" sounding analog synth, which was one of the reasons I did not like it at first, but grew to like it after as I used pedals and external processors to shape the sound.

Its killer for live sets as well since its 4 mono synths with sequencer and effects, with the performance knobs being handy too.

Not much that is analog and comes close for the price of the mk1, which I recommend as you'll be saving lots of cash and space (and aesthetics, imo) from getting the mk2.
Soooo sorry for the delay getting back to you, I haven't abandoned the thread, just ben mega busy with work.

This is really interesting feedback on the Elektron. Sounds like it'd integrate well with Euro, both from CV control and processing the sound with effects.

Between the A4 and the AK do you have an opinion? Appreciate there are loads of threads on that already, but your two cents would be interesting.[/i]

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:57 pm

computer controlled wrote:I have a Manther, it sounds wonderful. Fairly aggressive out of the box, great for bass lines. I do a lot of EBM and it's perfect those types of sequences. I've also had the Elektron A4, which i also really liked. You really couldn't go wrong with either of them. I'd also look into the Behringer MS-101, or even the Neutron coupled with either a BeatStep Pro or a Keystep. The SH-01a Boutique as well. The SE-02 is a good choice, sounds huge, and great for bubbly bass sequences.. Perhaps look at the JU-06A as well.
Do you think Manther can hit that 202 to 303 type vibe and sound? Can it get the growl of the 303?

If you had to pick one for aggressive-ish type bass stuff what would it be?

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Also been looking at 303 clones...crossed my mind to get an Acidlab or a Xoxbox as an alternative...

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:02 pm

Never used AKeys so can't comment. I have 3 keyboard synths so went for the compact A4 box that I can take on stage as well.

I also have an Andy Pledger build, x0xb0x which I love...but you know its good for acid and that's about it.
I've used RE-303, TT-303 mk1 and mk2, 2 x0xb0xes and a TB-303.

For the money, TT-303mk2 is the one I'd go for.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

nectarios wrote:Never used AKeys so can't comment. I have 3 keyboard synths so went for the compact A4 box that I can take on stage as well.

I also have an Andy Pledger build, x0xb0x which I love...but you know its good for acid and that's about it.
I've used RE-303, TT-303 mk1 and mk2, 2 x0xb0xes and a TB-303.

For the money, TT-303mk2 is the one I'd go for.
Sure I appreciate they’re an acid machine, I‘m a sucker for the growl. Would make sense to get something that can do more though.

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2651
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:18 pm

I've been a sucker for the growl since 1994 too, so I know exactly what you mean.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:32 pm

nectarios wrote:I've been a sucker for the growl since 1994 too, so I know exactly what you mean.
I’m worried if I don’t get something with growl I’ll be unsatisfied.

Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 pm

By definition, the Manther growls. But closer to 101 than 303. If you want a 303 sound you need a 303 or a clone . I don't think the Elektron is going to cut it for bass duties from what I have heard (compared to the popular bass monosynths).

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:43 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
This is really interesting feedback on the Elektron. Sounds like it'd integrate well with Euro, both from CV control and processing the sound with effects.
Playlist of my A4 demos below (4 demos)
Everything there is A4 (drums, bass, arpeggios, etc), single stereo take, no external fx or processing at all

https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/sets/ele ... four-demos

NaiveMelody wrote: Between the A4 and the AK do you have an opinion? Appreciate there are loads of threads on that already, but your two cents would be interesting.[/i]
I had them both, to me they are the same...maybe VERY small sound differences but nothing important

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:17 am

Panason wrote:By definition, the Manther growls. But closer to 101 than 303. If you want a 303 sound you need a 303 or a clone . I don't think the Elektron is going to cut it for bass duties from what I have heard (compared to the popular bass monosynths).
This is the conundrum for me - I really love the 303 growl, but I think the Manther might do something a bit different and more flexible. I’m just trying to understand whether it has enough growl and bass guts.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:10 am

anselmi wrote:
NaiveMelody wrote:
This is really interesting feedback on the Elektron. Sounds like it'd integrate well with Euro, both from CV control and processing the sound with effects.
Playlist of my A4 demos below (4 demos)
Everything there is A4 (drums, bass, arpeggios, etc), single stereo take, no external fx or processing at all

https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/sets/ele ... four-demos

NaiveMelody wrote: Between the A4 and the AK do you have an opinion? Appreciate there are loads of threads on that already, but your two cents would be interesting.[/i]
I had them both, to me they are the same...maybe VERY small sound differences but nothing important
Really enjoyed the demos on your Soundcloud, and particular the one linked.Very good sounding bass in my opinion. AK / A4 certainly sound cool.

Is the screen on the MK2 much of an upgrade?

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
anselmi wrote:
NaiveMelody wrote:
This is really interesting feedback on the Elektron. Sounds like it'd integrate well with Euro, both from CV control and processing the sound with effects.
Playlist of my A4 demos below (4 demos)
Everything there is A4 (drums, bass, arpeggios, etc), single stereo take, no external fx or processing at all

https://soundcloud.com/anselmi/sets/ele ... four-demos

NaiveMelody wrote: Between the A4 and the AK do you have an opinion? Appreciate there are loads of threads on that already, but your two cents would be interesting.[/i]
I had them both, to me they are the same...maybe VERY small sound differences but nothing important
Really enjoyed the demos on your Soundcloud, and particular the one linked.Very good sounding bass in my opinion. AK / A4 certainly sound cool.

Is the screen on the MK2 much of an upgrade?
thanks!

about the screen: I don´t think so ... I never been bothered by the A4 / Ak´s display size... for me it's 100% functional as is, and it´s nothing for what I´d pay the difference. Neither is the sound difference (that for me it´s not that important).
I think the most important differences are the individual outputs and maybe the form factor.

User avatar
kragg
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: Nemo Point

Post by kragg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 pm

The A4 is an excellent bass synth imho.
Also, I very much suspect that the MC202 was a huge inspiration for it : similar (while upgraded !) groovebox concept, very same size factor, and... on a side by side comparison, the A4 can sound identical to the A4.

The MC202 is a very nice synth : few features, but you can't go wrong with it, it always sounds great.
The Boutique SH3A is supposed to be an accurate emulation of it, but i never tried the Boutique.

The Manther seems quite interesting, with the nice sequencer and features lacking on the MC202 (cross-mod, etc). I don't like much the design, and i have read on the interwebs that it was not always very reliable, but i can't comment as i have never used it.

I think Dinsync Gilbert is a SH101 clone, so maybe it could be something to look at ?

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Struggle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:52 am

Why specifically doesn’t the Manther quite fit the bill? Just curious as I’ve been thinking about getting one and a little hesitant myself.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:04 am

Struggle wrote:Why specifically doesn’t the Manther quite fit the bill? Just curious as I’ve been thinking about getting one and a little hesitant myself.
My original questions was to try and understand if Manther is the best for what i'm looking for, or if something else would be more appropriate.

I've been hesitant like you, and am looking to understand if it'd be a valuable addition to my set up or not.

User avatar
NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Post by NaiveMelody » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:06 am

kragg wrote:The A4 is an excellent bass synth imho.
Also, I very much suspect that the MC202 was a huge inspiration for it : similar (while upgraded !) groovebox concept, very same size factor, and... on a side by side comparison, the A4 can sound identical to the A4.

The MC202 is a very nice synth : few features, but you can't go wrong with it, it always sounds great.
The Boutique SH3A is supposed to be an accurate emulation of it, but i never tried the Boutique.

The Manther seems quite interesting, with the nice sequencer and features lacking on the MC202 (cross-mod, etc). I don't like much the design, and i have read on the interwebs that it was not always very reliable, but i can't comment as i have never used it.

I think Dinsync Gilbert is a SH101 clone, so maybe it could be something to look at ?
Yes that's my confusion - the Manther seems like an interesting addition along those lines, but there are conflicting comments for and against it.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Behringer ms-1?

User avatar
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3850
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by computer controlled » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 am

NaiveMelody wrote:
computer controlled wrote:I have a Manther, it sounds wonderful. Fairly aggressive out of the box, great for bass lines. I do a lot of EBM and it's perfect those types of sequences. I've also had the Elektron A4, which i also really liked. You really couldn't go wrong with either of them. I'd also look into the Behringer MS-101, or even the Neutron coupled with either a BeatStep Pro or a Keystep. The SH-01a Boutique as well. The SE-02 is a good choice, sounds huge, and great for bubbly bass sequences.. Perhaps look at the JU-06A as well.
Do you think Manther can hit that 202 to 303 type vibe and sound? Can it get the growl of the 303?

If you had to pick one for aggressive-ish type bass stuff what would it be?
It def does growl. It's influenced by the 101, so it's closer to that, but it's more aggressive sounding. Doesn't have that hollow square wave that Roland is known for. Really good for aggressive bass sounds.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . PCM 41 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

User avatar
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3850
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by computer controlled » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 am

kragg wrote: The Manther seems quite interesting, with the nice sequencer and features lacking on the MC202 (cross-mod, etc). I don't like much the design, and i have read on the interwebs that it was not always very reliable, but i can't comment as i have never used it.
Mine is solid, haven't had any issues with it.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . PCM 41 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

User avatar
computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3850
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by computer controlled » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:44 am

Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq ESQ-1 . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . RE-303 . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . PCM 41 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”