Machinedrum vs TR8S

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:47 pm

acidbob wrote:so I guess it was the Digitone that only had 4 midi tracks? no.
that's correct. basically for all the boxes that sequence MIDI, the number of tracks they'll sequence internally is the same as the number they'll sequence externally. so for Machinedrum: 16. Digitone: 4. Monomachine: 6. Octatrack and Digitakt: 8.

booger: there's a Machinedrum UW MKII+ over at Elektronauts for $1300, with seller in the US. that's a good price, and about what I'd personally be willing to pay. they were $1800-ish when last sold new, but yeah some people are asking way too much these days. same for the Monomachine.

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 pm

booger wrote:What does the plus add on the UW model?
totally forgot to mention the +Drive, which i'd consider absolutely essential (along with it being a UW). this doesn't expand the 2mb RAM, but let's you save 100+ (?) "snapshots" of the RAM memory to be recalled at any time. i think i remember it being pretty quick to load, fast enough for transitions in a live setting (using a separate 2mb sample set for each song).

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:53 pm

Another vote in favor of the MD. If you can find one for a good price.
Modern Elektron boxes all have generally the same features that tha MD has. In terms of being able to do Plocks or whate have you.
It's just that most of the newer boxes have a few too many features to keep track of sometimes. It makes sound design tedious.

Somewhat similar is the Analog 4. It's only 4 voices, but kick snare, hat and what cowbell? You should be good.
It's not able to sequence midi, but it can sequence CV/GATE gear.
I'm also seeing these for $5-600 all the time.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:07 pm

More slots for saving, like snapshots of the entire machine + settings. Imagine playing in 2 diff. Bands, or have 2 diff. Projects, + makes it easy to switch between two setups. But also, lots of more samples to save in the machine. Personally i rarely use the +Drive

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:37 am

speaking of slots, and bing in different bands; I dont thin anyon has mentioned that neat feature on Elektron boxes where there are setup presets.
The Machine Drum and most Elektron boxes that I am aware of lets you save the MIDI and sync setup as a preset.
Lets say at home your MD is the MIDI clock master and you want it to transmit MMC.
Thats slot one.
Then in your band the other guy is MIDI clock master, and you dont transmit clock or MMC. You slave to his.
Slot 2.
So you don't have to change all the sync and midi settings. Just set them up once and toggle back and forth. There are like 8 or 16 slots I forget. I used to use it a lot when I had a home studio and a rehearsal space.

PeterHanes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PeterHanes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 am

booger wrote:Seems to be lots of love and enthusiasm for the MD. What would be a modern equivalent (in terms of flexibility, functionality, and sound)?
For synthesis (not sampling or sequencing), you might consider the various Nord Drum units.

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:38 pm

PeterHanes wrote:
booger wrote:Seems to be lots of love and enthusiasm for the MD. What would be a modern equivalent (in terms of flexibility, functionality, and sound)?
For synthesis (not sampling or sequencing), you might consider the various Nord Drum units.
that reminds me... while it lacks the x0x interface, the Nord Modular (G1 or especially G2) is absolutely the best hardware drum synth you can buy. the Machinedrum is a laugh compared to that.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Seems like it's time for the OP to get in line for a Pulsar-23. To my mind the closest a so-called modern drum machine gets to the MD....

I'd pick up an MD sooner rather than later if I wasn't in the SOMA queue.

I still might somewhere down the line.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm

jbuonacc wrote:
PeterHanes wrote:
that reminds me... while it lacks the x0x interface, the Nord Modular (G1 or especially G2) is absolutely the best hardware drum synth you can buy. the Machinedrum is a laugh compared to that.
Guess you havent tried the Norddrum2 or 3? :miley: Being a Nord fan-boy my self, I would say, the G1 and G2 is not the same at all, it's a synth first of all, and it's not a drum machine, neither is the ND2 but combine that with the MD and you have a killer combo, especially with the outputs routed back into the MD.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:02 pm

RickKleffel wrote:Seems like it's time for the OP to get in line for a Pulsar-23. To my mind the closest a so-called modern drum machine gets to the MD....
I'm not trying to start a fight here but it's hard to imagine two drum machines more different, conceptually (and maybe/probably also sonically), than the Pulsar 23 and a Machinedrum.

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 pm

rew_ wrote:
RickKleffel wrote:Seems like it's time for the OP to get in line for a Pulsar-23. To my mind the closest a so-called modern drum machine gets to the MD....
I'm not trying to start a fight here but it's hard to imagine two drum machines more different, conceptually (and maybe/probably also sonically), than the Pulsar 23 and a Machinedrum.
Agree completely- they aren't even in the same functional or sonic universe

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:06 pm

I got really excited about this until I noticed that the unit doesn’t match the case. :confused:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Elekt ... BwQAvD_BwE

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:44 am

Sorry I dont follow, match the case?
Arent they both MKIIUW? Aaaaaaaaah, now I see, my two machines have some white at the display... Well I wrote them, would be sad to receive this in the mail thinking it was another machine

mush
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mush » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:17 am

Deleted

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:17 pm

rew_ wrote:
Yes but the Pulsar is (will be) the only self-contained percussion synth that can compete with the MD in terms of raw synthesis power .

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Panason wrote:
rew_ wrote:
Yes but the Pulsar is (will be) the only self-contained percussion synth that can compete with the MD in terms of raw synthesis power .
Compete with the MD? :lol: I thought you were serious there for a moment. The Pulsar 23 is light-years ahead of MD in terms of sonic possibilities...no wait, it's parsecs ahead of MD- that's more accurate lol.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:17 am

Well, the MD gives you 16 sync-able LFOs, lots of envelopes, and the control-all thing which allows you to simultaneously tweak all 16 tracks... and 16 voices of course.
No doubt the Pulsar will sound a lot better/ bigger/ fatter as the MD is still an Elektron box and cannot escape the boxy sound that typifies Elektron gear with their crappy DA converters and shit filters and fx. :twisted:

wavecircle
Big Audio Sodomite

Post by wavecircle » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:45 am

Fentune wrote:
Panason wrote:
rew_ wrote:
Compete with the MD? :lol: I thought you were serious there for a moment. The Pulsar 23 is light-years ahead of MD in terms of sonic possibilities...no wait, it's parsecs ahead of MD- that's more accurate lol.
In what sense will it be light years ahead? I am curious about the Pulsar-23 but it only has 4 analog voices with predefined architecture. Not that that is a bad thing, one of my favourite drum machines was the Metasonix D-1000 but I wouldn't say it blows the MD out the water in terms of synthesis.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thezyg/ (lots of Serge)

[s]http://bit.ly/2Mekran[/s]

Ciat Lonbarde stuff from many moons ago: http://soundcloud.com/polska-kliknij-muzyka

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:31 am

The Pulsar-23 has over 100 patch points. Have you listened to the demos in full? Pulsar creates sounds MD cannot create on it's own. Put it this way; You can probably create a much more original, organic rhythm with the Pulsar's 4 voices than you can with MD's 16 tracks. I own an MD SPS-1UW MKII and I love it, but there is next to no overlap between these two very different devices. Yes, you can do some weird rhythmic stuff on the MD using it's synthesis functions and samples, but the sonic possibilities of the Pulsar-23 are on the next level-it's far more than a drum machine- isn't that obvious? :despair:

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:25 am

Pulsar-23 seems like apples vs oranges for this thread.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:51 am

you know i just sampled my tr808 into my MD and suddenly have both in one box lol

but seriously the MD is a bit dated yes (speaking of modern features go) but its still my go device for pretty much everything. Ive considered buying a second just to have the extra midi capacity but eh no need to go too crazy lol

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:23 pm

acidbob wrote:... I would say, the G1 and G2 is not the same at all, it's a synth first of all, and it's not a drum machine
these are all Nord G2:

https://soundcloud.com/jbuonacc/tezzm-draft

https://soundcloud.com/jbuonacc/cystic-draft

lacks the "drum machine" programming interface, but the sequencing options are well beyond what you can do on the MD.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:06 am

jbuonacc wrote:... Nord G2 ... lacks the "drum machine" programming interface, but the sequencing options are well beyond what you can do on the MD.
I don't know the MD but I agree with jbuonacc in the sense that the G2 is very simple to set up whatever you want, as its architecture is modular. This means you can define your modulation quite precisely, easily route it to multiple sources or set up interdependencies between the sounds or events.

That said, I'm also in the 'keep the beat simple' squad :hihi:

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roger » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:48 am

another option that is kind of in MD territory is the sonic potion lxr, it has it's own set of flaws and quirks but if does the drum synthesizer + sample loading part, also a lot of modulation, both by assaignable lfo and automation and also does microtiming with 8 substeps per step. less patterns, less voices, less seq. tracks but half the price of what a MD goes for around here.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:55 am

The MD is great for not sounding like a drum machine.

It’s so well thought out, but you really need to layer sounds, which is super easy because you can set one drum to ping another.

I have one of the last off the line , I not really a super fan of it as a regular drum maker, but metallic ping pong balls it excels at.

It’s very digital though ,it’s hard to get away from that without samples, but that’s what I love about it.
Had a RYTM , miss the sequencer, but the MD sounds way better imho.

Had a TR-8 , a lot of fun to jam with, but unless you must have analogue live drums , samples and subtle modulation quench my thirst there. Saying that I’ll probably get an RD , just because it’s so cheap. Had a Yoctowhich so much fun to jam on, but the 808 is pretty limited.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Return to “General Gear”