humidifiers bad?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

sleestack808
Wiggling with Experience

humidifiers bad?

Post by sleestack808 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:02 pm

I have some breathing issues and was recommended a humidifier. Is it bad to have gear and a humid room?

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:18 pm

As long as the moisture isn't condensing on equipment surfaces, you're not gonna have a problem. You're gonna want an evaporative type humidifier, not a spray type unit. If spray is what you want/need, you'll have to be careful not to spray in the direction of the equipment.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:47 am

On a related note. I'm staying somewhere with a bit of a damp issue and thinking to get a small ozone generator (kills spores and smells) . Can that cause damage to electronics?

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:07 am

Panason wrote:On a related note. I'm staying somewhere with a bit of a damp issue and thinking to get a small ozone generator (kills spores and smells) . Can that cause damage to electronics?
Don’t put it next to the spore drive :miley:

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:31 am

If you cover your electronis with airtight plastic i think you are ok. Ozone is corrosive as far as i know, and the ones that are not just doesnt really work. Better get some filters to clean the air, keep the place warm and install some sort of ventilation

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:22 am

Thanks, was wondering about that - and I had forgotten I had a HEPA air filter & ionizer in my bottomless stash of "things that may come in handy later".

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Yeah, you need to be careful with which type of humidifier you use. Before I moved most of my synth stuff to my attic, I kept my guitars up there, and I added a humidifier to keep the wood from drying out in the winter when the heat was on and in the summer when the ac was on. While it helped keep the room from getting too dry, I found that it was causing this very thin white film to start building up on my guitars, so I stopped using it. I can't imagine that whatever it was would be good for the internals of my synths that are up there now. I think it was calcium from the tap water I was using to fill up the humidifier.

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:32 pm

rust maybe years later?

Return to “General Gear”