MFB 8 Voice Polyphonic Synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Sorry.. It's not my video, but I thought at least it showed more of the operating synth.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm

This will be my first multi-osc poly - I hope it will ease my vintage cravings :)

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: MFB 8 Voice Polyphonic Synth

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 pm

Finally received my Synth Pro--it sounds great. Here's a demo of some patches I've knocked up over the last few days. All are dry (no internal effects), DCO-mode off, with only some volume editing to get levels similar. My patches tend to be more of the pad/drone/weird variety but I think this gives a pretty good idea of what it's capable of.

Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

SteeVtheRipper
Common Wiggler

Post by SteeVtheRipper » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:49 am

This is on my short list. Would really complement my Dominion 1, which I love and has been rock solid.

It’s really crazy to think how much the synth landscape has changed over the years and how much variety there is now. I’d put this as a direct competitor to something like a P/OB6 Module. IE: a vintage sounding multi voice, multi VCO synth. In many ways it packs more in than they do at a fraction of the price yet still sounding just as good. Other competitors that come to mind are the Parva, DM12, Rev2, and maybe the Peak/Hydrasynth if we are going to mix in digital. It’s a great little box and for $1k it’s a pretty sweet deal. Looking forward to more demos.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:07 am

another review by Stimming. It shows kind of what I would have expect from this synth. Kind of strange that he mentioned the things that don't work on his prototype rather than clarify wether it has been fixed or not. This synth would be a good addition to my analog effects on my eurorack. Having all those analog effects, waveshapers, tubes would push this simple polyphonic synth to the next level.

the lack of eurorack cv nowdays is a bit weird but I get the concept, it's all about being polyphony, right?

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:26 am

SteeVtheRipper wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:49 am
This is on my short list. Would really complement my Dominion 1, which I love and has been rock solid.

It’s really crazy to think how much the synth landscape has changed over the years and how much variety there is now. I’d put this as a direct competitor to something like a P/OB6 Module. IE: a vintage sounding multi voice, multi VCO synth. In many ways it packs more in than they do at a fraction of the price yet still sounding just as good. Other competitors that come to mind are the Parva, DM12, Rev2, and maybe the Peak/Hydrasynth if we are going to mix in digital. It’s a great little box and for $1k it’s a pretty sweet deal. Looking forward to more demos.
That’s a good assessment. It punches well above it’s weight in terms of features and sound given the price.

I think a lot of folks are going to compare it to the Pro-6. They essentially come to the table with a similar core sound but the MFB goes much further in a number of ways. There is a greater difference with the OB-6 since the MMF is quite different on them, but again the MFB goes much further because of the dual filter structure.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

SteeVtheRipper
Common Wiggler

Post by SteeVtheRipper » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Yeah the OB6 is very special. That SEM filter is a gem! Still the price puts me off all these years later. $3k for 6 voices seems a bit steep in today’s market. MFB has clearly found a way to deliver VCOs at an reasonable price, and I think very few people outside of hardware developers could tell you with any amount of certainty or fact backed info how much a VCO costs to mass produce. That usually is the reason people claim for the price “but they’re discrete vcos!!! More expensive!!!” yet I’m pretty sure most people couldn’t tell you how much a collection of discrete components bought in bulk by a particular company costs. Just sayin.... 🤷🏻‍♂️ Do MFB VCOs cost more than Sequential’s in terms of part and manufacturing?

Anyway, IMO It’s due for an update or price drop. I’d pay that much for 16 voices with split and layer and more modulation. IE: a Rev 2 with the OB6 oscillators and filters.

I’d love to see a hardware modular poly synth. Like Diva. Swap in Minimoog Oscillators, SEM Filter, etc. would be cool!

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm

It’s funny, the six versus eight voice thing hasn’t even really been on my radar as far as differences, but there is a huge difference in terms of play ability with those two extra voices. Especially with long release pad sounds.

I too would love a new OB-6 with increased voice account, but also DSI really need to address how they apply parameter ranges to knobs. I always found the most useful range kind of squashed in the lowest end of the pot.

Anyway, the MFB thankfully does not have that problem! The digital display is also really handy for knowing what the actual parameter value is.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:51 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:11 pm
It’s funny, the six versus eight voice thing hasn’t even really been on my radar as far as differences, but there is a huge difference in terms of play ability with those two extra voices. Especially with long release pad sounds.

I too would love a new OB-6 with increased voice account, but also DSI really need to address how they apply parameter ranges to knobs. I always found the most useful range kind of squashed in the lowest end of the pot.

Anyway, the MFB thankfully does not have that problem! The digital display is also really handy for knowing what the actual parameter value is.
I am currently in the market for a new analog poly, and +/- 2 voices makes all the difference in the world. My well used JU-06 has 4 voices. If it had 6 or 8 I wouldn't be looking for another poly. Deepmind 6's can be had in the UK for 420 GBP new, which I reckon is a bargain. The Deepmind 12 module has (of course) 12 voices, but I can't remember every needing so many voices for a single patch, not even with long release times. 8 voices would be ideal.

I like MFB kit (I still have my MFB 522) and I think it has shrugged off its reputation for flakey builds. The MFB 8 is up against some stiff opposition though such as the Novation Summit and the Korg Prologue 8, although the latter's paucity of LFO's is baffling.

It is a good time to be in the hunt for a new poly.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:20 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 pm
Finally received my Synth Pro--it sounds great. Here's a demo....
I have this on right now. Only a few minutes in but really enjoying it so far. Can you advise how well (or not) it responds to midi cc or program change messages?

Thanks in advance.

brokensolderingiron
Common Wiggler

Post by brokensolderingiron » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Not a single proper MFB Pro demo on the entire web, the few that are is just frekking bloopbliipfkkkshshseeeeeeetjoptjop sounds!
People seams bat corona virus crazy and cant do proper demo! :bang: :roll:

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm

minimalist wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:20 pm
Sir Ruff wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 pm
Finally received my Synth Pro--it sounds great. Here's a demo....
I have this on right now. Only a few minutes in but really enjoying it so far. Can you advise how well (or not) it responds to midi cc or program change messages?

Thanks in advance.
Glad you are enjoying it! I actually haven't tried midi CCs yet, but should give that a whirl. Also need to confirm if it syncs to midi clock. Was having issues in that department with a friend's MPC.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm
Glad you are enjoying it! I actually haven't tried midi CCs yet, but should give that a whirl. Also need to confirm if it syncs to midi clock. Was having issues in that department with a friend's MPC.
Thanks. That would be great 😁

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 08, 2020 11:38 am

This is better:

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Just found this review about the synth, although it's in german, the sound examples were a bit what I was looking for (classic brass, pads sounds). Looks like he does and can what a substractive polysynth should be able to do. It seems to be a very nice classic synth but in my opinion with some good design decisions such as the two filters for example. However not the most modern approach on a synth but being polyphony, analog and in a good price range I think this synth should be worth considering...

Amazona Review (german)

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:19 pm

Just got mine today and I'm having major problems with my Linnstrument. Stuck notes, synth patch shutting down, static when pitch bending and more. Anyone else with one having similar problems?

Like others, I love the sound but I fear I might need to return it before it's too late. :waah:

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:42 am

Did you update to the latest firmware? The initial version was quite buggy. Not sure if the current version fixes everything, as I returned mine.

I personally didn't love the sound enough to live with its quirks. Mine had a digital whine probably related to insufficient shielding of the (cabling to the) display. But apparently this was solved in a later batch.
Last edited by J0ris on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:39 am

Yeah. Even though it seemed like the unit had the latest firmware installed I updated anyway. The problems persist, but I isolated the issue to the z-plane messages being sent by Linnstrument. They make the Synth Pro freak out. When I turn it off, I can play normally. Hopefully this can be fixed in a firmware update.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Be sure to report it to MFB, it seems they are responsive to emails reporting bugs with the Synth Pro

Return to “General Gear”