MOTOR SYNTH

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

strettara
mufferthucker

Re: MOTOR SYNTH

Post by strettara » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:58 am

Have to agree that a music box is pretty obviously a completely different thing. And yes I’m a boomer so :fu:
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:22 am

ugerhard wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 am
From an email from Gamechanger Audio yesterday:
"Happy to say that we are finally shipping your Motor Synth order. It will be dispatched by the end of this week and you should receive it at some point from the 20th of July to the 24th of July."

:party:
Sweet! I don't remember where I am on the list, I think there was quite a few pre-orders before me. But hopefully I'll be receiving an shipping notification fairly soon.
Synth Con Meo
<RIP> Kibou, I miss you.

Grinder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Grinder » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:16 am

Motors wear out much faster than voice chips, interesting for sure but pass, doesn’t sound too unique to me.

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am

From their social media, it looks like the first 50 shipped. (two larger batches planned to ship over in mid to late August and in September) I wonder how people are getting on with it. If anybody here's got one, don't be shy – share some sounds or first impressions! :tu:

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Post by muddy ranks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:11 am

Cool insight into the final unit.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 am

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:20 am

My take away is that it sounds annoying in use and doesn't really do much for me (subjective) soundwise. Especially for 2k$

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 am

winn3r wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:03 am
There's one on FS/T already https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=235946 :hihi:
Yes, and at the “new” price, not at the Kickstarter price they undoubtedly paid :confused:
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:55 am

FWIW the box artwork and the user manual really do look excellent. everything is time and money to develop. not sure how many people in here have every released a product at this scale. however I don't think I would by this. I would put 8 slew limiters before my 8 VCO's. that way I can unpatch them. I am not convinced that there are any wavetables that sound different when you start using a tone wheel organ. this is why B3 VST sound so good. now if you look at it from the other perspective.... how much of an inconvenience it would it be to patch up a slew every time you use a filter to simulate an LPG. people will buy the LPG instead. it is the features and flexibility vs the immediacy and conducive nature of purpose built modules.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:07 pm

a noiz box that physically generates more noiz while working.
perfect!

should go well with my radioactive isotope S&H module.
:P
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 am

I got mine in the mail today. First impressions are that it is very well built, cool looking and overall has been fun and interesting to use. I've found what i'd consider some sweet spots and overall have been happy with the sound i'm getting out of it.

However, the motor operational noise is insane, even at idle and especially at higher frequencies. I can almost smell my teeth getting drilled while i'm using it. I just turned it off after 20 minutes of using it and it was a massive relief on my ears. I'll probably end up using it with closed back headphones to protect my sanity. Still, I'm intrigued by it and not sorry I bought it, especially at the early price.

Curious to hear how other people will respond to the motor noise. Maybe my ears are too sensitive and I've spent too much time at the dentist...

PatrickW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PatrickW » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am

gloamtrotter wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 am
Curious to hear how other people will respond to the motor noise. Maybe my ears are too sensitive and I've spent too much time at the dentist...
I had only 10 minutes time to play it, but boy, this is some really weird instrument.
The sound is really great.
Even in my headphones, it produces a very thick raw sound.
The filters sound very agressive and fat.

But the sound of those motors, when you use one of the higher scales, it's scary.
I'm not kidding you.
The motors start to sound like a jet starting up its engine :eek:
This is definitely not an instrument that you want to let sit idle in your studio while powered on.
(Correction : just found out that if you turn the volume to zero, you can put the synth in "sleep mode", keeping it quiet exept for the fans)
Last edited by PatrickW on Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:03 am

For ambience :hihi: it's a feature not a bug!!

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am

wow... this is very good to know about the motor noise. Pretty much sounds like a dealbreaker (internal sigh of relief, one less synth to think about :D)
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

PatrickW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PatrickW » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am
wow... this is very good to know about the motor noise. Pretty much sounds like a dealbreaker (internal sigh of relief, one less synth to think about :D)

Personally, I'm extremely happy to have bought this "synth".

I think that this is one of the most unique electronic instruments I have ever experienced.
When you set the two voices in the 2' scale and then power it up, I would not be surprised if this thing would lift-off and fly away :hihi:
If you are allergic to "fan noise" in your studio, be prepared to be shocked :twisted:
In fact, this is the first music instrument in my life for which I bothered to read the safety measures written on the brochure in the box.

I would place this "instrument" in the same category as the Sherman Filterbank and the stuff from Soma : weird, unique, loads of character, not for the faint of heart, ...

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:22 am

PatrickW wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 am
Sir Ruff wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am

Personally, I'm extremely happy to have bought this "synth".

I think that this is one of the most unique electronic instruments I have ever experienced.
When you set the two voices in the 2' scale and then power it up, I would not be surprised that this thing would lift-off and fly away :hihi:
If you are allergic to "fan noise" in your studio, be prepared to be shocked :twisted:
In fact, this is the first music instrument in my life for which I bothered to read the safety measures written on the brochure in the box.

I would place this "instrument" in the same category as the Sherman Filterbank and the stuff from Soma : weird, unique, loads of character, not for the faint of heart, ...
yeah, I would love to try one, but as a hyperacusis sufferer, constant high-pitched whiny noises in the studio are a complete dealbreaker.

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:14 pm

PatrickW wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 am
(Correction : just found out that if you turn the volume to zero, you can put the synth in "sleep mode", keeping it quiet exept for the fans)
Nice, thanks for the tip. I was looking around the manual for something like that but couldn't find it.

Return to “General Gear”