MOTOR SYNTH

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:22 pm

commodorejohn wrote:No, it's still a fundamentally different design. The one encodes audio data directly in the variations of the physical object; the other encodes control sequences which are applied to a different object which actually produces the audio.
That is like saying that an analog sequencer running at 120bpm and an analog sequencer running at 500hz are "fundamentally different designs"

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:42 pm

No it's not. To reiterate, the difference between a Telharmonium/tonewheel organ/this dealio at the top of the thread and a music box is this: all of the former directly encode audio (read: the actual waveforms to be produced are represented by the physical structure of the object) and reproduce it (electro)mechanically, while the latter encodes musical sequence information in the form of control signals (the teeth on the surface of the wheel or drum) applied to a different object (the tine comb) which produces the actual sound by some other method.

I feel a little silly having an argument about freakin' music boxes, but you're quite simply wrong here. Your argument is like claiming that there's no difference between a keyboard and a VCO because they both run on electricity.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Didn’t Cahill have some sort of monster synth that used V8 Motors to spin cylinders fast enough that they made a pitch? Crap, it would be terrible if it wasn’t him that did it. It would mean that I will have to try it!! :omg:
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Cahill built his first Telharmonium before there was any such thing as a V8. I think the power source for the first one was a steam turbine. Later he used electric motors. The audio sources were basically AC generators.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 am

commodorejohn wrote:No it's not. To reiterate, the difference between a Telharmonium/tonewheel organ/this dealio at the top of the thread and a music box is this: all of the former directly encode audio (read: the actual waveforms to be produced are represented by the physical structure of the object) and reproduce it (electro)mechanically, while the latter encodes musical sequence information in the form of control signals (the teeth on the surface of the wheel or drum) applied to a different object (the tine comb) which produces the actual sound by some other method.

I feel a little silly having an argument about freakin' music boxes, but you're quite simply wrong here. Your argument is like claiming that there's no difference between a keyboard and a VCO because they both run on electricity.
Jesus fuck how did you boomers even graduate the McShitfuck highschool you all apparently went into. Are hard drives with music stored on them different products than hard drives with say, operating systems on them, too? :doh:

Both music boxes and tonewheel organs are fundamentally cylinders with a number of different tracks on which information can be encoded, and the information is then decoded by applying torque to the cylinder and reading the physical deformations on the outer surface of the cylinder.

You could literally make a very crude mechanical simulacrum of a tonewheel organ by buying one of those music boxes with replaceable cylinders, making one that simply has evenly placed bumps at different rates at the different tracks, and spinning the lever fast enough while muting some of the teeth with your fingers.

Pando
Common Wiggler

Post by Pando » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:59 pm

The fundamental difference is that the tonewheel organ creates the actual waveform of the note with the spinning tonewheel. The faster it spins the pitch goes up. That motor synth appears to do the same thing.

In the music box the waveform is created with a vibrating reed with a fixed pitch, triggered by a tooth on the drum. The faster that spins the notes get triggered faster (but with pitch of the note doesn't change). Of course you can spin that thing so fast that it creates some freakish noise, in effect turning the music box drum into a tonewheel, but that's kind of pushing it.

Blingley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Blingley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Pando wrote:The fundamental difference is that the tonewheel organ creates the actual waveform of the note with the spinning tonewheel. The faster it spins the pitch goes up. That motor synth appears to do the same thing.

In the music box the waveform is created with a vibrating reed with a fixed pitch, triggered by a tooth on the drum. The faster that spins the notes get triggered faster (but with pitch of the note doesn't change). Of course you can spin that thing so fast that it creates some freakish noise, in effect turning the music box drum into a tonewheel, but that's kind of pushing it.
Having different use cases for the basic engineering solution does not change the engineering solution itself. Both of these cases are storing data of some sort, in a medium that is extremely similar. The basic engineering behind the products would be similar even if the use case wasn't musical at all.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 pm

*sigh*

Once again: yes, the medium is similar. What is different is the application. One is used to store raw audio data; the other is used to store encoded musical notation. These are distinct forms of information, with (looking past the similarity of the media) entirely different means of processing/reproduction.

If you want to analogize to disks, it's more akin to drawing a distinction between a disk full of WAV files and a disk full of MIDI files. No matter how similar (or even identical!) the storage mechanism may be, you're not going get the correct results sticking a disk full of MIDI songs into a sampler expecting a disk full of WAV samples, or vice-versa.

Also, I'm not a Boomer, whatever bearing that has on anything.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:46 pm

*peeks head out from foxhole*

Interesting argument but I just want to say the Motor Synth sounds cool and is cool and I want one. Peace ✌️

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:10 am

red

muddy ranks
Common Wiggler

Re: MOTOR SYNTH

Post by muddy ranks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Just thought it's been a while since I heard anything on this and it looks like there was something posted in the updates section recently (March 4th):

Shipping Update - a few more weeks!

Dear Backers!

Thank you for your patience and enthusiasm about the MOTOR Synth!

Our team of engineers have been working very hard to make sure that the first 50 MOTOR Synths come out by the end of February, but unfortunately, we had underestimated the amount of work needed.

The MOTOR Synths are already in production, and a large part of the manufacturing work is already completed. Still the MOTOR Synths are not yet fully ready for final assembly, because have decided to introduce additional procedures for the manufacturing and testing of the main Motor/Oscillator panel.

This means the previous MOTOR Synth manufacturing and shipping timeline has shifted forward by 4 weeks.

New Schedule:

March 25th - first 50 units start shipping.

Mid-April to mid-May - all remaining units shipped.

We apologize for the delay! The MOTOR Synth is a very complicated machine, and our main priority is to ensure a quality instrument that will last you a lifetime.

Please keep posted for more news to come - we will be sharing some new photos, videos and sound samples very soon.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Wow, just hearing this now. The waveforms sound cool, with a slight, characterful instability.
I do wonder how long those motors will last, though…

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:19 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm
Wow, just hearing this now. The waveforms sound cool, with a slight, characterful instability.
I do wonder how long those motors will last, though…
Same here as far as hearing about it and the thought about motor life..... Sounds kinda pricey for something that might not have a very long mean time between failures. How does one tune this exactly? Strobe timing light?

Brushless motors I hope. :hmm:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re:

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:19 am

cornutt wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:32 pm
Cahill built his first Telharmonium before there was any such thing as a V8. I think the power source for the first one was a steam turbine. Later he used electric motors. The audio sources were basically AC generators.
If an internal combustion engine revs high enough it can be made to play tunes.

A different kind of motor 'synth' I guess.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 am

8-)
red

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 am

"We are considering raising the MOTOR Synth's price (for future clients) to 1999$ or slightly higher."

Damn, I was hoping that it'd only be a few hundred more than the campaign price. I'm out :lol:

burnn_out!
deep fried intoxicated wiggler

Post by burnn_out! » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 pm

22tape wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 am
"We are considering raising the MOTOR Synth's price (for future clients) to 1999$ or slightly higher."

Damn, I was hoping that it'd only be a few hundred more than the campaign price. I'm out :lol:

Wow. Where'd you hear that? If that's true this project will be dead right out the gate. It's a very niche synth and at $2k it'll be more on the collector spectrum. I can't see them selling more than a handful at that price. I was interested but at over double the original price I guess good luck to them. Perhaps that's the point though. Maybe it's way more intense to manufacture than they suspected and aren't interested in making more than another handful at an extreme
born in bathsalts..

If your not dead you might as well be dancing, and if your not dancing you might as well be dead. - windspirit

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:01 pm

burnn_out! wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 pm
22tape wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:16 am

Wow. Where'd you hear that? If that's true this project will be dead right out the gate. It's a very niche synth and at $2k it'll be more on the collector spectrum. I can't see them selling more than a handful at that price. I was interested but at over double the original price I guess good luck to them. Perhaps that's the point though. Maybe it's way more intense to manufacture than they suspected and aren't interested in making more than another handful at an extreme
Totally agree. I'd rather save up for an E-Osmose for that price.

But yeah, they used the term "clients", AKA, not for the commoners :lol:

It's on their Indiegogo page, in the Updates section, under New Price heading. I tried to link to it, but the link isn't working for some reason.

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:55 am

If the Motor Synth would be announced today for US$1999 - no one would be surprised. It's still a boutique synth with a lot of innovative engineering - and since the successful indiegogo campaign the Motor Synth was developed a lot further (read the updates @indiegogo)

... and it sounds unique!
red

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:13 am

The wait has been rough but I’m still very pumped for this. I just checked and I’m not in the first 100 which means it’s gonna be a while longer :waah:

TruthSerum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TruthSerum » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am

No offense to anyone who invests in this, but unless you're scoring 70's sci-fi movies or just want bragging rights as collector I don't know why one would spend 2000.00 for this. I don't hear anything innovative or inspiring in the demo. They created a new way to make the same old sounds I've heard too many times and as music producer this would never inspire me to make anything new or exciting.

To me personally, this is the equivalent of a theremin in 2020, as sonically- this is rudimentary sound.

I would pay no more than 500.00 for this, but if it makes you happy then that's all that matters.

In 2020, there are much better hardware options to take into new sonic territory, if that's what you're seeking.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 am

TruthSerum wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am
I would pay no more than 500.00 for this, but if it makes you happy then that's all that matters.
You're right, that's all that matters. Move along.
Last edited by Yes Powder on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

22tape
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:25 am

red wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:55 am
If the Motor Synth would be announced today for US$1999 - no one would be surprised.
Well, in case you didn't notice, I'm surprised! ;)

Mostly because my expectation was based on the campaign price. I figured it might be a few hundred more. But not more than double. Then again, I'm just a regular consumer and know nothing about the manufacturing processes and costs.

When is the B clone coming? :foul:

Prints
Common Wiggler

Post by Prints » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:48 am

TruthSerum wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am
No offense to anyone who invests in this, but unless you're scoring 70's sci-fi movies or just want bragging rights as collector I don't know why one would spend 2000.00 for this. I don't hear anything innovative or inspiring in the demo. They created a new way to make the same old sounds I've heard too many times and as music producer this would never inspire me to make anything new or exciting.

To me personally, this is the equivalent of a theremin in 2020, as sonically- this is rudimentary sound.

In 2020, there are much better hardware options to take into new sonic territory, if that's what you're seeking.
Your lack of imagination does not impress me.

Return to “General Gear”