Elektron Digitone Keys

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

haven
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by haven » Wed May 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Did I miss something, or are there are no lights above the keys like on the other Elektron keyboards? Both the Analog Keys and Monomachine keyboard had lights to show you what notes were on each step. So simple and makes them a joy to work with.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 pm

If this had been 4 octaves, and they had redesigned the control panel in a logical way to go above the keys...that would have made sense. This just feels like a lazy design choice so they can use the same PCBs as the desktop module.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Wed May 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Panason wrote:Individual outs confirm Overbridge is a mega fail, LELELELELEL :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer:
The RYTM has multiple outs that predate Overbridge.

perplx
Common Wiggler

Post by perplx » Wed May 08, 2019 3:58 pm

I like how the Digitone part of this is between the keyboard and the wheels!!?!?

This looks like it was designed without giving much thought to how people use keyboard instruments. By which I mean, it looks super-dumb.

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Wed May 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Well, that viral marketing that was making us think a new Monomachine in Digitone black was coming makes perfect sense, now, since, this is basically the new MNM Keys. Sneaky.

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Thu May 09, 2019 12:19 am

Its design is of course an homage to the Monomachine keyboard version, but in a way it reminds me of some of the more obscure string machines and preset monosynths of the mid-late '70s.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 am

Posted by Jesse Nieminen on the facebook group.
I loled.

darcmorcel
Common Wiggler

Post by darcmorcel » Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 am

tim gueguen wrote:Its design is of course an homage to the Monomachine keyboard version, but in a way it reminds me of some of the more obscure string machines and preset monosynths of the mid-late '70s.

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Thu May 09, 2019 4:18 am

nectarios wrote:Image

Posted by Jesse Nieminen on the facebook group.
I loled.
As in turn have I. Many lolz indeed.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu May 09, 2019 6:55 am

to me the side-by-side layout makes sense as the Digitone is still built around the Elektron sequencer. same as the Monomachine SFX6 made sense. the keys are there to make writing patches as well as programming the sequencer a better experience, and to give you more control over it (plays/sequences velocity and aftertouch).

it's like with the RYTM. you can tap the step buttons to play a drum sound, but it's more fun to use the pads. and you get velocity then. (related: hopefully they do a Digitakt with a pad interface next to it.)

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 am

The more and more I look at it, it just looks like a cruel joke :-O

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 am

Yeah the wheels especially looked wonky. I don't know why they didn't stick with the joystick like their previous key models. I love me some joysticks.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu May 09, 2019 10:59 am

oranginafiend wrote:Good lord it's so ugly. It looks super cheap too with the thin plastic above the keys, kinda like a $25 midi keyboard.
Plastic? It's made out of metal. Do you even Elektron?

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Thu May 09, 2019 11:18 am

Looking at the closer photos, which reveal things like the knobs over the keyboard, it looks like a more interesting design than the 10,000 foot view initially suggested.

The SFX-60 had a lot of QC issues, which was surprising given the high quality of the Machinedrum and, later, the SFX-6. I'd be concerned about this one, given the unfortunate problems Elektron gear has had lately.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 am

I kind of dig the design and think this would be a lot of fun paired with something like a Vermona Perfourmer.

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 pm

calaveras wrote:
oranginafiend wrote:Good lord it's so ugly. It looks super cheap too with the thin plastic above the keys, kinda like a $25 midi keyboard.
Plastic? It's made out of metal. Do you even Elektron?
Plastic, metal, fabric, concrete whatever it is, the thinness of the bezel makes it look cheap. That was my point, not the type of material.

Makes me think of something like this Image

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Thu May 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Took a pic this afternoon. I didnt think it looked cheap. I thought it looked good... now i dont see the point of adding a keyboard to the digitone but thats different story...

Image[/img]
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Thu May 09, 2019 6:39 pm

pile of garbage. Isn’t even worth talking about. Elektron has turned into a bad joke. I’ve sold everything of theirs and will never buy anything from them again.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Thu May 09, 2019 6:47 pm

Eurocat wrote:pile of garbage. Isn’t even worth talking about. Elektron has turned into a bad joke. I’ve sold everything of theirs and will never buy anything from them again.
Who hurt you?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Eurocat wrote:pile of garbage. Isn’t even worth talking about. Elektron has turned into a bad joke. I’ve sold everything of theirs and will never buy anything from them again.
Console yourself with Panason.

I just don’t think the digitone sounds that great, the only Elektron box I love is the MD, but I was late to the party, as mine is one of the last made.

Way better than the RYTM I had.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I've had a few days with mine and it really is a joy to play. I will say I'm too often I'm running out of keys on the right hand side and running in to voice stealing. Could really be great with double the polyphony.
Could really really be great with a SID engine option, instant chip-a-phone.
and yea, not cheap, you could beat someone to death with it and continue the gig. The keyboard-style switches have a certain feel but I'm more concerned about the tacky finish wearing well, well before the switch dies.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Thu May 16, 2019 9:19 am

desdinova wrote:I've had a few days with mine and it really is a joy to play. I will say I'm too often I'm running out of keys on the right hand side and running in to voice stealing. Could really be great with double the polyphony.
Could really really be great with a SID engine option, instant chip-a-phone.
and yea, not cheap, you could beat someone to death with it and continue the gig. The keyboard-style switches have a certain feel but I'm more concerned about the tacky finish wearing well, well before the switch dies.
Good to hear from someone who has actually laid hands on it! Mine should be here in a few weeks. It’s going to fit perfectly in my studio and the layout is just right for what I have planned.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Elektron repeated the same design error as in the original Monomachine SFX-6, which, at that time, was criticized by the users: when you operate the knobs you can not see the screen from the position of the keyboard player, because your hand covers it.

:picard:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu May 16, 2019 4:38 pm

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 pm

We're gs now?
anselmi wrote:Elektron repeated the same design error as in the original Monomachine SFX-6, which, at that time, was criticized by the users: when you operate the knobs you can not see the screen from the position of the keyboard player, because your hand covers it.

:picard:
I keep a MnM on the shelf behind me at work. You don't need to look at the screen when you don't need to look at the knobs.

Return to “General Gear”