Elektron Digitone Keys

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

12eightyfive
Common Wiggler

Elektron Digitone Keys

Post by 12eightyfive » Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

https://www.elektron.se/products/digitone-keys/

Hey hey, look at this! A new Elektron keyboard. Here's some specs:

8 voice polyphony (4-part multitimbral)
Multiple FM algorithms
Multiple operator harmonics
1 × multimode filter per voice
1 × base-width filter per voice
1 × overdrive per voice
2 × assignable LFO per voice
Unison
Portamento
2048 patch storage capacity on the +Drive
4 × synth tracks
4 × MIDI tracks
Arpeggiator per synth track
Polyphonic sequencing
Individual track lengths
Parameter locks
Micro timing
Trig conditions
Sound per step change
128 × projects on the +Drive
8 × Banks 16 × patterns per project
Send & master effects
Panoramic Chorus send effect
Saturator Delay send effect
Supervoid Reverb send effect
Overdrive master effect
37-key semi-weighted, velocity sensitive keyboard with aftertouch
Assignable pitch and modulation wheels
8 × user assignable rotary encoders
2 × 1/4” impedance balanced main out jacks
8 × 1/4” impedance balanced track out jacks
1 × 1/4” stereo headphone jack
2 × 1/4” audio in jacks
2 × 1/4” CV/Expression/Sustain jacks
128 × 64 pixel OLED screen
48 kHz, 24-bit D/A and A/D converters
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port
MIDI In/Out/Thru with DIN Sync out
Physical specifications
Sturdy steel casing
Dimensions: W868 × D185 × H90 mm (including knobs, feet, and jacks)
Weight: approximately 6 kg
Dedicated MIDI controller mode
Overbridge enabled
3 year Elektron warranty

As someone who had been glued to their forum the last few days for this announcement I am relieved that their new product is not that new after all and my bank account can remain intact.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am

seriously, this throws a huge spanner in my gear buying plans. I was just looking at Blofeld keyboards and a couple other digitally cool boxes on Ebay.

Then this email invades my wallet.

I do haveta say I wish Elektron would quit with the send effects and instead do effect per patch/timbre. Especially for multimbral boxes

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed May 08, 2019 10:30 am

:sb: :sb: :sb:

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am

Nice, great, smashing, cool etc. No really.

But ... wtf has the preceding tease campaign got to do with it?! ‘Restrictions are for the dreamless’. Keyboards then? Keyboards are for dreamers!

There’s no doubt armies of moaners on that Elektron thread as I type demanding their granular synths, MNM reissues and Octatrack MKIIIs they felt the marketing hyperbole promised!

But nice, great, smashing, cool etc. Seems like a logical (if not terribly exciting) move.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Wed May 08, 2019 10:37 am

" I do haveta say I wish Elektron would quit with the send effects and instead do effect per patch/timbre. Especially for multimbral boxes "

That's the reason I sold my Elektron stuff. It's a super irritating design choice.

crowleywaltz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crowleywaltz » Wed May 08, 2019 10:38 am

It's pretty hideous but all those track outs are pretty cool. Price is hefty at nearly double the regular Digitone.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed May 08, 2019 10:42 am

[video][/video]

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed May 08, 2019 11:15 am

chvad wrote:" I do haveta say I wish Elektron would quit with the send effects and instead do effect per patch/timbre. Especially for multimbral boxes "

That's the reason I sold my Elektron stuff. It's a super irritating design choice.
It's not like DSP is expensive? I get why that was a good idea when they made the Machinedrum etc. But for chrissakes the cost of DSP, ram and raw CPU cycles has gotten much cheaper since.
Not a huge deal with all the sub outs. I can just use the sends on my mixer to rack multi-effects. But it's also nice every now and then to have the effect be part of the patch. Esp with modulation effects.

bradpickapiper
Common Wiggler

Post by bradpickapiper » Wed May 08, 2019 11:19 am

Kind of a strange layout choice. “Let’s just smash a keyboard next to the digitone”
Wish they would have had things laid out above the keys with something closer to a knob per function.

meska
Wiggling with Experience

Post by meska » Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am

tioJim wrote:Nice, great, smashing, cool etc. No really.

But ... wtf has the preceding tease campaign got to do with it?! ‘Restrictions are for the dreamless’. Keyboards then? Keyboards are for dreamers!

There’s no doubt armies of moaners on that Elektron thread as I type demanding their granular synths, MNM reissues and Octatrack MKIIIs they felt the marketing hyperbole promised!

But nice, great, smashing, cool etc. Seems like a logical (if not terribly exciting) move.
agree 100%
tremblap wrote: In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.
www.meska.fr
https://statikwave.bandcamp.com/

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am

bradpickapiper wrote:Kind of a strange layout choice. “Let’s just smash a keyboard next to the digitone”
Wish they would have had things laid out above the keys with something closer to a knob per function.
It’s definitely ‘width’ that’s at a premium in my workspace (a hive of multi-tiered A frames) not ‘depth’. I’d be curious to know how it is for others.

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 am

Good lord it's so ugly. It looks super cheap too with the thin plastic above the keys, kinda like a $25 midi keyboard.

Also why is elektron so resistant to putting out a Keys product with more than 37 keys. Especially on an 8-voice poly synth. It's so restrictive. You can buy a new Digitone and a new full-sized, full-featured midi keyboard for less than the price of this, and you'd only be missing the extra outputs unless I'm missing some other feature.

If they had gone for a 16-voice Digitone with 61 or 73 keys I'd be all over it. This is just kind of pointless IMO.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 am

It's... interesting. Individual outs are nice. I like the additional performance controls above the keyboard itself. The space around the mod wheels is odd, but must be to prevent unwanted interaction with the other buttons.

Thinking they should have bumped the polyphony upward for the keyboard version.
bradpickapiper wrote:Kind of a strange layout choice. “Let’s just smash a keyboard next to the digitone”
I see it as a bit of homage to the Monomachine keyboard, personally.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed May 08, 2019 12:01 pm

It makes me feel old to see all the reactions that reflect a lack of awareness of the original Monomachine.

Of course, the original Monomachine was a strange design choice then, and it's still a strange choice here.

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm

suboptimal wrote:It makes me feel old to see all the reactions that reflect a lack of awareness of the original Monomachine.

Of course, the original Monomachine was a strange design choice then, and it's still a strange choice here.
I would think it's a choice made to save money on development and production. Rather than retool the controls to fit in a way that makes sense around a keyboard, they just took what they had, plopped a keyboard on one side and a mod + pitch wheel on the other, added a few buttons and called it a day. Probably much cheaper to develop and produce than a full reworking and redesigning of the controls above the keys. However, I don't see the cost savings passed on to the consumer. $550 extra for a 37-key keyboard and some extra outputs seems insulting to me. But a lot of elektron's design choices that relegate certain features to certain boxes while excluding them from others are insulting to me.

I like how the Digitone sounds though.

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Sure, the cost savings analysis. But they design boutique musical instruments, not, I don't know, underpants for the mass market.

BTW this announcement has broken the Elektronauts forum. Let's hope it breaks it permanently and forces them to adopt a completely different platform there.

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm

They’ve lost their creativity

astrodislocate
Common Wiggler

Post by astrodislocate » Wed May 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Was hoping "restrictions are for the dreamless" meant a firmware update that let you do more in depth fm, not a keyboard that restricts me to 37 frequencies.

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Wed May 08, 2019 12:48 pm

I had to knock my card out of my own hand to stop myself just now. Wait until Sweetwater has it and you can at least split payments over 3 months. Dont flatline your bank account for shiny new gear. You havent even gotten to the bottom of the menu on the last thing you bought!

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed May 08, 2019 1:06 pm

LOL

SteeVtheRipper
Common Wiggler

Post by SteeVtheRipper » Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 pm

This keyboard is sooooooo awkward looking lol. I kinda love it and kinda hate it. Nice to see them put out another keyboard instrument. I prefer the form factor of the Digitone box.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Individual outs confirm Overbridge is a mega fail, LELELELELEL :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer: :drunkhomer:

renderful
Common Wiggler

Post by renderful » Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Portmanteau on my OG Digitone via the new OS, is the highlight of this release for me.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:27 pm

[video][/video]
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed May 08, 2019 3:04 pm

the SFX-6 was weird but lovely...a lovely machine full of mistery and mad science charm

this one is weird...period...

the old design worked well because of the Monomachine´s panel layout, that have some air between the buttons (and the aluminum panel also helps) but the digitone panel is crowded with buttons and this looks awful, stuck in the middle of this box...they should had redistribute all the buttons to balance the panel, using more of the wheels´ sector that have a lot of free space, instead of just stucked the whole Digitone panel as is, on it.

Return to “General Gear”