Behringer CS-80 Clone Renderings

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Behringer CS-80 Clone Renderings

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:12 pm

no presets im out
TOO FAR GONE

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by galaxie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:43 am

Bowman wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:46 pm
umma gumma wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:17 am
what, 3 pages and nobody has posted an image yet??

I think they should call it the "BS-80"

:hihi:
That does look beautiful. And “BS-80” would be fine with me. I’m following this.
More faders and less menu diving.
It'd be great if there are CV outs from the onboard envelopes.

vegas7188
Common Wiggler

Post by vegas7188 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Think there are newer renders out according to this post:
https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-ds-8 ... -80-clone/

Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:19 pm

----------------------

Flounderguts

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:51 pm

This is about the only analog synth I'm excited to buy when it comes out, especially because they spec a keyboard poly aftertouch.

Bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by Bowman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:12 pm
no presets im out
The photo shows “Preset 02” on the screen.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture" Elvis Costello (by way of Martin Mull)

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:19 pm
I’ve had a good bit of experience with the cs-50/60/80, and still own a 50 (probably my single favorite synth), and my 3 favorite aspects of the series, in order of importance, are:

1. The sound
2. The interface
3. The ease with which these things can be maintained

2 is clearly out the window: no luxuriously grand, oversized panel here, and the extremely playable performance controls (e.g. brilliance, resonance, the ringmod) which utilize Yamaha’s unique rheostat-style crescent-pathed faders on the CS-series have been replaced by standard linear pots on the behringer. 3 is also a no go: no doubt this thing contains one or two pcb’s at most, rife with densely packed smd components, in contrast with the CS-series, where everything is all through-hole components on oversized cards within the chassis (each voice has its own easily-removable pcb fitted into a sort of rack, which makes them relatively easy to work on).

So that leaves the most important aspect: the sound itself. Speculating based on what I’ve heard from the recent slew of behringer “clones” and the functionally equivalent CS-80 semi-clone, Deckard’s Dream, all of which sound only remotely similar to the originals on which they’re modeled, I’m not particularly hopeful this new synth is going to nail the incredibly distinct, characterful, and nuanced sound of the CS-series. Having said all of that, I’m very much looking forward to auditioning one of these new units in studio (if they ever materialize, that is), and while I certainly won’t be holding my breath in anticipation of a convincing clone I would love for my speculation to be proven wrong.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Not sure where you're getting the idea that behringer clones only sound remotely similar. The Model D and VC-340 are spot on. Also, assuming the price is low; it's an 8 voice VCO-based analog poly, what's not to like?
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

SynthBaron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SynthBaron » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Michael O. wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm
and the extremely playable performance controls (e.g. brilliance, resonance, the ringmod) which utilize Yamaha’s unique rheostat-style crescent-pathed faders on the CS-series have been replaced by standard linear pots on the behringer.
I have to chime in about this being the favorite part about the CS-50 I used to have. Those "faders" are VERY real-time use friendly, more than anything else I've used. Making you actually want to play with any synth parameter you want during a performance. Behringer is big enough to custom make such a part, but I doubt it will happen.

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:20 pm

If materialized, it (BS-80) would probably allow many people a chance to get a satisfying version of the CS80 experience, but when you have already played the real article before, there can never be anything like it, unless they made an identical 220-lb version. Not just the sound...the huge surface area of the interface. Big chunky primary-colored levers. Weighted heavy keys. The ribbon. Even the smell. I can tell you that sound-wise it may disappoint people immediately expecting something spectacular, IMHO. The presets are to thin and nasal (most of them), but with the right fidgeting you can coax huge, thick sounds. The low end makes my stomach literally rumble....best I’ve ever heard in a synthesizer. I’m sure this has already been discussed so I apologize for the redundancy. It’s just that, while I’m perfectly satisfied with a Roland JP-08 or the KS-20, the CS80 is, well, not reproducible (for me, of course). Nonetheless I would be curious to check it out at our local GC.
Last edited by dopefiend on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisemakers: Maracas. Squeaky shoes. Bean-induced flatulence.
An oncologist is like The Lone Ranger: he is chemo savvy.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:00 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm
Not sure where you're getting the idea that behringer clones only sound remotely similar. The Model D and VC-340 are spot on. Also, assuming the price is low; it's an 8 voice VCO-based analog poly, what's not to like?
The Model D clone really is close imo (or at least as close as any Moog Model D is to another), but that is a sound that has been accurately modeled by imitators/cloners for decades. The 101 I’d say is the second most similar, but that’s a more generic sort of sound to begin with. The CS-series is on paper and in practice more complex and unique than most of the other clone projects they’ve undertaken, and every other CS clone attempt I’ve heard so far has been only functionally rather than aesthetically similar, so that’s why I have tempered expectations.

And, assuming the price is low and the sound is at least passable, then there’s really nothing not to like regardless of whether it sounds like the real deal or not. But my point was more that the beauty of the CS-series lies in more than simply the specifications alone, and that some of that seems to be lost in translation from inspiration to imitation, and I don’t just mean the obvious like the keybed or the weight. But still, I’m really excited to play one, and I’ll bet they’ll be shockingly affordable given the feature set.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:27 pm

Michael O. wrote:
[...]
[…]
That was a good one. :sarcasm:

Hey, I've just discovered that "dripping with sarcasm" image. I think I will use it more often in the future.

Stephen

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Michael O. wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:00 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm
The Model D clone really is close imo (or at least as close as any Moog Model D is to another), but that is a sound that has been accurately modeled by imitators/cloners for decades. The 101 I’d say is the second most similar, but that’s a more generic sort of sound to begin with. The CS-series is on paper and in practice more complex and unique than most of the other clone projects they’ve undertaken, and every other CS clone attempt I’ve heard so far has been only functionally rather than aesthetically similar, so that’s why I have tempered expectations.

And, assuming the price is low and the sound is at least passable, then there’s really nothing not to like regardless of whether it sounds like the real deal or not. But my point was more that the beauty of the CS-series lies in more than simply the specifications alone, and that some of that seems to be lost in translation from inspiration to imitation, and I don’t just mean the obvious like the keybed or the weight. But still, I’m really excited to play one, and I’ll bet they’ll be shockingly affordable given the feature set.
I definitely appreciated your insights into the interface of the CS-80, not having had the privilege of using one myself! I feel similarly about weighing in on Buchla SFTMC center units. :guinness:
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm

doombient.music wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:27 pm
Michael O. wrote:
[...]
[…]
That was a good one. :sarcasm:

Hey, I've just discovered that "dripping with sarcasm" image. I think I will use it more often in the future.

Stephen
No joke- mine is significantly older than I am, and if you maintain them properly they’re incredibly reliable synths. The reason they have a bad rep in that department is because people had a tendency to neglect them and then act shocked when the rare propriety Yamaha IC’s (of which there are many) end up fried, rendering the synth useless. These synths, like all gear of a certain age, ought to be recapped (especially the power supplies) and potentially have their aging cmos logic chips replaced.

Further, the internals are the easiest to work on of any synth in my stable. Once ~1980 rolled around cost-cutting measures were in full effect, and the roomy internals and individual voice cards of the CS-series were replaced by monolithic and crowded pcb’s in almost all later synths. And contemporary synths, with their vast feature-sets paired with tiny smd components, are unfortunately essentially disposable/irreparable. Geeze it seems I’m really passionate about these old synths lol

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Mine has some factory-issued modifications that result in excellent tuning stability. It has also sat in the same spot for 3.5 years. When I fire it up and go to my own patches it’s always in almost perfect tune, even when cold. Once it warms up it’s just freaking majestic. Only maintenance I’ve given to it is vacuuming some cat hair left there by my little brat during one of his exploration adventures....my fault for forgetting to close the cave door. :bang:

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:27 am

Michael O. wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:31 pm
[...] No joke- mine is significantly older than I am, and if you maintain them properly they’re incredibly reliable synths. […] Further, the internals are the easiest to work on of any synth in my stable. Once ~1980 rolled around cost-cutting measures were in full effect, and the roomy internals and individual voice cards of the CS-series were replaced by monolithic and crowded pcb’s in almost all later synths. And contemporary synths, with their vast feature-sets paired with tiny smd components, are unfortunately essentially disposable/irreparable. Geeze it seems I’m really passionate about these old synths lol
In terms of the CS50 I tend to agree, but "roomy internals" and "CS80" in one sentence (let alone "ease of maintenance" in the same context)…?

But maybe you're better at suffering than me -- just looking at the 80 gives me a pain in the back :).

Stephen

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 pm

you left out how easy it is to slug the CS80 under one arm and toss it in the back seat, for a gig!

:D

does the CS80 have continuous sliders, or the 5 position notched control levers like the YC45D etc?

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 am

umma gumma wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 pm
you left out how easy it is to slug the CS80 under one arm and toss it in the back seat, for a gig!

:D

does the CS80 have continuous sliders, or the 5 position notched control levers like the YC45D etc?
They are continuously variable -- the only sliders that are stepped are those for setting waveforms and frequency range.

Stephen

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

"Behringer DS80 Polyphonic Analogue Keyboard Synthesiser"

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:21 am

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/behring ... 734206-01/

..and a screenshot in case they pull the page:
ds80.png
I am a little sad that it's not officially called BS-80, frankly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: "Behringer DS80 Polyphonic Analogue Keyboard Synthesiser"

Post by beyourdog » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am

Oups, not sure it’ll fit the car, but that’ll be a hit...

SuperChoo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SuperChoo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:34 am

Alas that page has been up for awhile, also it’s using older concept images.
Believe these are the latest concept images published by Behringer:
376ACBDF-8AC8-4DA0-8BCA-B324A17EE067.png
15A4D529-1F60-4F2B-853F-F1168BD4D501.png
5A44A410-BF53-43CC-A42F-97751B0A9101.png
3DEC3F17-9813-4D30-A9F9-2144FFCCC669.png
1D646756-E93B-45CB-946D-DA5AC44D99F2.png
Hopefully they’ll move that headphone Jack to the front, otherwise this looks ace to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Thank goodness they modernized the preset system. The OG format would have been a slight headache.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:36 pm

damn i hope this is really happening, even it's just a ripped off deckards design :hihi:

dopefiend
Likes SHOUTING!

Post by dopefiend » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:14 am

Both 2 and 4-pole LPF’s offered, eh....? Interesting.

Return to “General Gear”