Moog Matriarch Announced

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Synth Con Meo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Synth Con Meo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:25 am

This just popped up on my YT recommended list:

[video][/video]

I also have a GM but thinking I am going to go ahead and spring for a Matriach. Got to see one demoed here at Control Voltage about a month ago with a fellow from MOOG.

stringtapper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stringtapper » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:i also have the Grandmother, and my Matriarch arrives tomorrow, at which point I'll need to decide whether to sell the Grandmother. How different do you find the Matriarch in practice? I love the idea of having both, but there is a space issue.....
I’ve only had an evening with it, but so far I think that the two complement each other very well. I do miss the spring reverb on the Matriarch but the stereo delay is so good.

So far I’ve been routing the Grandmother’s oscillators into the Matriarch via the external instrument input and syncing the GM to the Matriarch’s clock. Cranking up the GM’s reverb and sequencing higher pitched material let’s you get a nice shimmering pad to lay over the Matriarch’s sounds, which is fun.

I want to figure out a way to route the Matriarch’s oscillators into the Grandmother’s reverb and then back to its mixer. It’ll be reverb before delay but that can be fun too.

I’d say that overall aside from the reverb there’s nothing the GM can do that the Matriarch can’t. So if you have to make space you’ll still be able to do more with just the Matriarch. I for one am loving treating the combo as one big six oscillator synth.

chromakey
Common Wiggler

Post by chromakey » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 pm

I bought an intellijel springray2 with small/medium/large tanks just because I wanted to be able to emulate that aspect of the Grandmother's sound with the Matriarch too. Still waiting on my preorder, I guess I bought from the wrong vendor for a quick ship (B&H).

This landed on youtube today:
[video][/video]

Muse FTW
Common Wiggler

Post by Muse FTW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Mine came in today. I've only had a few hours with it so far but it's a really novel synth.

It's basically Moog's version of a Korg Mono/Poly. The oscillators sound great (especially when you start messing with the Sync function) and the filter is very potent.

It took me a little while to wrap my head around how the Spacing knob works, but it really gives a ton of tonal options. Reading the manual once gave me all the info I needed.

Tons of sweet spots exist for each filter type. Series (HP/LP) can create some really lush bandpass chords or nasal leads. Stereo (LP/LP) can get you that classic Moog sound and sounds as good as ever. Parallel (HP/LP) takes the longest for me to dial in but has some awesome tones as well.

The stereo delay is ace. I haven't recorded with it yet but it really turns the synth into an ambient machine. I love hearing the filter sweep through this delay. The 104-M is still king of the Moog delays, but this is a really cool delay nonetheless.

Probably my favorite Moog synth I own besides the Model D reissue. I kinda regret packing up the Sub37 to make room for this, though, because they'd go very nicely together.

wminor
Common Wiggler

Post by wminor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 am

Muse FTW wrote:Mine came in today. I've only had a few hours with it so far but it's a really novel synth.

It's basically Moog's version of a Korg Mono/Poly. The oscillators sound great (especially when you start messing with the Sync function) and the filter is very potent.

It took me a little while to wrap my head around how the Spacing knob works, but it really gives a ton of tonal options. Reading the manual once gave me all the info I needed.

Tons of sweet spots exist for each filter type. Series (HP/LP) can create some really lush bandpass chords or nasal leads. Stereo (LP/LP) can get you that classic Moog sound and sounds as good as ever. Parallel (HP/LP) takes the longest for me to dial in but has some awesome tones as well.

The stereo delay is ace. I haven't recorded with it yet but it really turns the synth into an ambient machine. I love hearing the filter sweep through this delay. The 104-M is still king of the Moog delays, but this is a really cool delay nonetheless.

Probably my favorite Moog synth I own besides the Model D reissue. I kinda regret packing up the Sub37 to make room for this, though, because they'd go very nicely together.
Yep, very much agree. Osc sync sounds fantastic, and the delay is very very nice sounding. Has a weird sense of spaciousness to it that I don't know how to describe.

My only complaint is that there's no CV control for the filter spacing! I've only played around for 30 mins or so but I keep wishing I could assign a slow moving LFO to it.

I think you can control it using MIDI CC so will have to rig up an external sequencer to get the most out of that.
sometimes i post stuff on instagram

send me a message if you might like to make some music with a total stranger <3

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Mine showed up yesterday, got to spend a little time with it before attending to other life-related matters.

I've been more of a preset tweaker over the years, but the Matriarch really feels like an exceptional tool to build things from scratch with.
The oscillators are strong and versatile, and the filter and delay both feel pretty damn magical. I can see building a Euro rig around this thing pretty easily, though it'll be a while before I'll find the budget for it.

Three notes I'd like to make:
1. If this is your first knobby analog synth (like me) and feel a little intimidated (also like me), spend some time with the manual online. Moog has some of the best, most approachable manuals that I've seen in the synth world. The Matriarch also comes with a separate patching guide with examples and explanations of each.

2. The overdrive in the mixer section feels different from the demo unit I played early last month. I think it gets almost as dirty, but the overdrive point is no longer around 12 o'clock as it appears on the demos I've seen/heard/used. Does any one else out there have any observations/opinions to share on this?

3. Even with all of its other strengths, it feels like the stereo delay really makes the Matriarch special. Someone mentioned upthread that it can turn the Matriarch into an ambient machine - can't agree enough with that statement. I was doing rhythmic dub shit one moment and spacey reverbs in the next. Feels like you can get some passable choruses with some modulation as well. Can't wait to mess with it some more!

deanrinehart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deanrinehart » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Fits nicely!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 pm

deanrinehart wrote:Fits nicely!

does the Matriarch comes with the plant?

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:25 am

goddammit.

I already have a Grandmother & a 3-tier rack with 2 x M-32 + a DFAM in it... & I can feel my resistance to the Matriarch crumbling daily...

Next year. Next year.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 am

deanrinehart wrote:Fits nicely!

Jesus, my wallet burst into flames after seeing this. :deadbanana:

alfredobean2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alfredobean2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am

:love: :nana:

stringtapper
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stringtapper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Xmit wrote:goddammit.

I already have a Grandmother & a 3-tier rack with 2 x M-32 + a DFAM in it... & I can feel my resistance to the Matriarch crumbling daily...

Next year. Next year.
It really goes well with such a setup. :tu:

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:47 pm

My Matriarch is in the mail. Love at first sound.

Going to pair it with the Voltage Research Lab and afterwards begin a Eurorack setup.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Having problems with the clock input on mine. An external trigger makes the clock slow down and the light stays orange. I can get it to sync if I only stick the cable in halfway and angle the tip towards the jack wall. Waiting for a response from tech support. The MIDI sync works ok so just using that for now.

The thing sounds amazing!

Ghost Hip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ghost Hip » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:13 am

I've had mine since last Monday and definitely agree with a lot of what has been said already. Thoroughly enjoying mine and it is certainly a rewarding instrument. I recorded a couple of tracks this weekend with my Matriarch and modular linked below. Tracks are recorded to tape then bounced to Ableton/video.

Ambient:
Upbeat w/ drums:

My only issue is when I have it sync'd to my modular (Sequencer or keyboard gate out into Mutable Marbles and/or Moffenzeef Mito) the internal sequencer and modular will suddenly jump to a higher tempo. Hasn't happened enough to notice what triggers this. It has even happened when nothing is patched on the Matriarch but the gate out from the rear panel. Anyone else have this issue?
wminor wrote: My only complaint is that there's no CV control for the filter spacing! I've only played around for 30 mins or so but I keep wishing I could assign a slow moving LFO to it.
Couldn't you apply the LFO to one of the cutoff ins? I could be wrong but from what I gather the second filter stays where it is when you adjust the filter spacing. You are just staggering (idk a better word) the first filter's cutoff. If you applied the LFO to the filter cutoff 1 in, that should have the desired effect?

wminor
Common Wiggler

Post by wminor » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Ghost Hip wrote:
wminor wrote: My only complaint is that there's no CV control for the filter spacing! I've only played around for 30 mins or so but I keep wishing I could assign a slow moving LFO to it.
Couldn't you apply the LFO to one of the cutoff ins? I could be wrong but from what I gather the second filter stays where it is when you adjust the filter spacing. You are just staggering (idk a better word) the first filter's cutoff. If you applied the LFO to the filter cutoff 1 in, that should have the desired effect?
Oh, yeah, that might totally be the thing to do! Thanks! I had somehow missed that there were separate CV inputs for each cutoff!
sometimes i post stuff on instagram

send me a message if you might like to make some music with a total stranger <3

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:46 pm

booger wrote:Having problems with the clock input on mine. An external trigger makes the clock slow down and the light stays orange. I can get it to sync if I only stick the cable in halfway and angle the tip towards the jack wall. Waiting for a response from tech support. The MIDI sync works ok so just using that for now.

The thing sounds amazing!
Apparently, there is a firmware issue. Moog is aware and working on an update.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Arrived today. It’s simply the most inspiring, consistently good sounding/musical synth I’ve ever used. I will never sell this beast.

I got mine for $1,850 new (Moogfest edition) from Musician’s Friend, plus $130 I had in rewards, and I’ll get another 8% of the $1,850 back in rewards to use later. So including monetary rewards/savings, ~$1,600 new.

I am lost in this thing. Limitless on its own. The best semi-modular base that currently exists with all its outs. I sold all my synth gear waiting months for this to arrive and it was worth it. I haven’t been in the synth world long enough to wait for a synth, saving my money and waiting for this beast took willpower but it was so worth it.

Now I have some time to recoup cash since the Pittsburgh Voltage Research Lab has been delayed. They will make a nice pair.

The Matriarch is an album machine. Just hit record and make sure everything is synced and save for playing wrong notes I bet people can easily one shot tracks while live patching with this thing.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:21 pm

Looking for feedback from other users... The light on the LFO goes dark when in staircase wave. It blinks accordingly in all other waves. Just want to know if this is a unique defect on my machine or a common behavior. Thanks for your input!

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:57 pm

booger wrote:Looking for feedback from other users... The light on the LFO goes dark when in staircase wave. It blinks accordingly in all other waves. Just want to know if this is a unique defect on my machine or a common behavior. Thanks for your input!
Mine goes dark but I mean, relative to the rate it set at, not permanently once switched.

My issue is the envelopes lately. I can't get my envelopes to sound not clicky unless my attack is at around 0.75 or higher. I tried out the Rubber Bass preset since it used no patch cables and reverted everything to pretty standard levels but my envelopes are still really clicky and I'm not sure if it's my unit or just how it is. The click does not sound like a part of the note though, it's like a separate click right at the beginning, even when the decay is all the way up as well as the sustain I get a click and I don't know why.

Most noticeable in headphones as opposed to speakers. Perhaps I'm just a noob... Is clicking desirable in analog synths? For percussive effects? Regardless I find it annoying. I've owned plenty of synths and none of them had it to this effect.

chromakey
Common Wiggler

Post by chromakey » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Woohoo mine has finally shipped! I wonder what serial no. it'll be and how many more units Moog will sell by the end of the year. I hope they get results that only encourage them to create more products catering to this segment of the market.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 pm

chromakey wrote:Woohoo mine has finally shipped! I wonder what serial no. it'll be and how many more units Moog will sell by the end of the year. I hope they get results that only encourage them to create more products catering to this segment of the market.
Me too mate. This thing sounds HUGE, just insanely big. The FM patch I currently have going sounds like a distorted robot voice and makes 4 oscillators sound bigger than most polys out there, my headphones are rumbling. The Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Voltage Research Lab... Those are what I find interesting in hardware. Wouldn't be too good for the market if the only thing that existed anymore were clones because I don't want them. I want new synths to be good and have companies feel comfortable taking risks.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:44 am

booger wrote:Looking for feedback from other users... The light on the LFO goes dark when in staircase wave. It blinks accordingly in all other waves. Just want to know if this is a unique defect on my machine or a common behavior. Thanks for your input!
Update on my situation: The staircase wave works fine when the unit is being synced to a MIDI clock. Otherwise, it does not. This is strange behavior. There are definitely still some glitches in the firmware.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:08 pm

apparently there are 24 (i think that's the number) of tuning scales available in the machine. I'm looking for some kind of documentation that lists these, but haven't churned up anything. Does anyone have this info?

I also discovered that the new firmware for my korg prologue has microtunings, and the ability to edit these easily by key in the editor. I am no longer considering selling this - this is a great feature.

I'm wondering if anyone can save me some time - i haven't dealt with sysex directly in quite some time. In theory, I should be able to export the sysex from a prologue tuning, and then import it to the matriarch...I'll probably try that in the next few days, but if someone is a bit more facile will this, maybe they could speed me along a little....

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Got the beta firmware that fixed the clock issue and absent staircase wave. All is good :party:

I’ve owned quite a few synths in my time but this one takes the cake. Sounds great all my itself and better when working with other modules. Goes from hard techno to dream machine. I sold my Juno 60 to fund this purchase and am totally satisfied with the trade.

Return to “General Gear”