Moog Matriarch Announced

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 am

Blairio wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:i have a grandmother (the synth, of course. I strangled my real grandmother many years ago).

i think that the thing is just fantastic. perhaps the most pure fun synth (obviously also pure subjectivity) I've ever owned.
I agree. I was an early adopter of the Moog GM (when they were full price) and have not regretted it. I wonder whether the GM keyboard outputs polyphony over midi? If it does I'm going to hook mine up to a polyphonic sound source (like my JU-06), and run that - with the JU-06 filter wide open - into the Grandmother's external input. It won't be stereo, but it should give something of what the Matriarch offers,
yes - the gm keyboard outputs polyphony.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 am

I don’t feel that this seems way overpriced if you look at it as a curated collection of Moog modules with a case and keyboard. I’m assuming that a similar system built from existing new Eurorack modules might be as much. Plus, the Matriarch is the closest thing I’ve seen to a MonoPoly (which I’ve wanted for a very long time).

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 am

I have two big eurorack modulars. So i didn't feel an urgent need of the GrandMother. But, if i don't need much more a Matriarch, i really do want one.
And guess what ? Now, i even would buy a GrandMother in order to learn about it and its tips and tricks. So, i'll be ready for the Matriarch... :hihi:

visible cow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by visible cow » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:02 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:i have a grandmother (the synth, of course. I strangled my real grandmother many years ago).

i think that the thing is just fantastic. perhaps the most pure fun synth (obviously also pure subjectivity) I've ever owned.

I can't get through threads like this anymore. I"ll assume the usual - lots of people with no experience with the grandmother talking about how much this will suck, etc.

good god, how can I find the space and $ for this?
If I remember correctly you own (or used to own) a Dominion 1 as well? I love my Dominion 1 but the Matriarch has me questioning whether or not I should move on......especially since patch memory isn't very important to me. I realize that they're very different but what are your thoughts regarding the D1 "vs" the grandmother?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:13 am

visible cow wrote:

I can't get through threads like this anymore. I"ll assume the usual - lots of people with no experience with the grandmother talking about how much this will suck, etc.

good god, how can I find the space and $ for this?
If I remember correctly you own (or used to own) a Dominion 1 as well? I love my Dominion 1 but the Matriarch has me questioning whether or not I should move on......especially since patch memory isn't very important to me. I realize that they're very different but what are your thoughts regarding the D1 "vs" the grandmother?
good question where i wanna read the answer, so i'll lock myself in...cheers!

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 am

A reminder.
sduck wrote:Ok, enough. Back on topic or this gets locked. No more off topic bs.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 am

The Env End Outs patched to the Env Trig Ins could give you an extra two LFOs with variable wave shapes. With the two actual LFOs that's a lot of cool evolving modulation possibilities. Be nice if it had ring modulation (although can do audio rate AM which sounds very similar), envelope following, and integration/slew, but none are really essential so can see why they didn't make it, and the latter two may be patchable a la Serge DTG/DUSG.

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:36 am

Talking about West Coast way of synths, with 4 independent vco, there's a lot to do with a Matriarch in the Buchla's style... :nana:

umma gumma
Veteran Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:32 am

I seem to recall, the patent filing for matriarch included ring modulation?

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 am

Hermetech Mastering wrote:The Env End Outs patched to the Env Trig Ins could give you an extra two LFOs with variable wave shapes. With the two actual LFOs that's a lot of cool evolving modulation possibilities. Be nice if it had ring modulation (although can do audio rate AM which sounds very similar), envelope following, and integration/slew, but none are really essential so can see why they didn't make it, and the latter two may be patchable a la Serge DTG/DUSG.
They should have licensed a MATHS (tm) from Makenoise instead of those utility sections. Then it would be ON.

Shame they didn't wedge a sequential switch in there for some Mono/Poly sequencing. That's all it would take I think to get the roundrobin thing going.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Funch

Post by Funch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Yes, by all means lets get back to the internet gear advertising platform. No BS allowed. Here's the click bait as it arrived in my email.

"Is this paraphonic, semi-modular marvel more evidence Moog is moving away from its mono past?"

https://reverb.com/news/moog-announces- ... etingCloud

Buy now. Get your preorder in today. :bananaguitar:

coyoteous
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coyoteous » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Moog, woke(r).
Shark, jumped.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:35 am

Funch wrote:Yes, by all means lets get back to the internet gear advertising platform. No BS allowed. Here's the click bait as it arrived in my email.

"Is this paraphonic, semi-modular marvel more evidence Moog is moving away from its mono past?"

https://reverb.com/news/moog-announces- ... etingCloud

Buy now. Get your preorder in today. :bananaguitar:
Maybe give it a rest Funch. Please don't get this thread locked:
sduck wrote:A reminder.
sduck wrote:Ok, enough. Back on topic or this gets locked. No more off topic bs.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:27 am

Sending Funch a PM. His point has been made more than once.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:55 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:...
I think the stereo filter and stereo analogue delay will go a long way into convincing ppl it’s worth it.
The stereo image is the best thing about this new Moog synth, for me.

ZenitSar
Common Wiggler

Post by ZenitSar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:32 am

nectarios wrote:
I think the stereo filter and stereo analogue delay will go a long way into convincing ppl it’s worth it.
Agreed. It sounds nice, but those demos were not particularly interesting to me. Most were pretty cliche sounding sequencer jams and boring. The stereo movement was the star. Fugly, like the g-ma. I bet it's built like a tank, which is great!

ZenitSar - Solo modular
CV - SciFi Rock

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 pm

ZenitSar wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Agreed. It sounds nice, but those demos were not particularly interesting to me. Most were pretty cliche sounding sequencer jams and boring. The stereo movement was the star. Fugly, like the g-ma. I bet it's built like a tank, which is great!
Same here. I was not impressed with the synth nor most of the demo except when Lisa Bella Donna shredded it. I thought best thing Moog did was hire her for this advert. Then again everything she touches sounds great. Still wouldn't buy it..

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:19 pm

Had some California candy and spent at least an hour walking around perfect circuit last week. The grandmother was by far the most fun synth to start from zero on and if you’ve ever been there, they have a lot of gear. I’m sure this will deliver. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:00 pm

revtor wrote:Had some California candy and spent at least an hour walking around perfect circuit last week. The grandmother was by far the most fun synth to start from zero on and if you’ve ever been there, they have a lot of gear. I’m sure this will deliver. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.
yeah - just reading the specs of the grandmother doesn't prepare you for how fun it is.

But I put in a pre-order for one at sweetwater. Given that I can cancel it if I don't have the $ or the space when it's ready, it seems like an ok decision. if it is too redundant with the grandmother, i guess I'll sell grandma.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:41 pm

The Perfect Circuit demo is very compelling IMO...

[video][/video]

Voltage_Controller
Common Wiggler

Post by Voltage_Controller » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 pm

I have spent quite a bit of time with a borrowed gma and it really is a compelling mono. The matriarch is tad too steep $$ for me, but based on how playable the gma is, the matriarch is probably amazing. I love how patchabiity on monos (or quasi-monos) has become standard.
“The only truth is music.” ― Kerouac

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Voltage_Controller wrote:... I love how patchabiity on monos (or quasi-monos) has become standard.
Yes this is a great thing.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 pm

SteeVtheRipper wrote:I really like what Moog has been doing the last few years. It seems like not that long ago they had only the Voyager, the Taurus, the Lil Phatty, and a slew of pedals. I was scratching my head wondering what the heck they were doing over there.
The Moog One was codenamed the “LAS,” as it was the Long Awaited Synth that they’d been working on for the past 7-8 years.
Last edited by DJMaytag on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 pm

umma gumma wrote:assumed they might call it "great grandmother", but maybe that's in the works too?
No. I noticed that there were boxes on the assembly line (at Moogfest) that said “GGMa” on them. I had to ask, and someone did confirm that Great Grandmother was the internal/working name for the Matriarch.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:13 pm

booger wrote:So, is the Matriarch limited to 250 units or is that the beginning run? Also, does anyone know if all 250 sold at Moogfest? I pre-ordered one from GC but might cancel my order if it won’t ship in July (assuming they’re producing more than 250).
There’s definitely a limit of Moogfest 2019 badged Matriarchs, but I have no solid information about what that number actually is. I did hear that 200 were sold the first day of Moogfest, but there was nothing said about whether or not those were online sales, at Moogfest sales, a combination of both... or simply preorders from dealers other than GC (who had the Moogfest Edition exclusive).

One of the on-site sales guys tried to tell me that it would be 12-18 months before I’d get a non-Moogfest Matriarch, but I’m taking that as complete and total salesman bullshit.

Return to “General Gear”