best way to polychain cv synths with some global controls?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

best way to polychain cv synths with some global controls?

Post by nadafarms » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 am

Considering something like getting 8 behringer pro ones and poly chaining with an encore expressionist.

So what about being able to send filter cutoff to all the synths and a few other global parameters? The oberheim four voice programmer wasn't exactly comprehensive anyways.

Would this be best achieved by using eurorack and maybe there are some new modules that would work? Maybe just having a bunch of mults?

Any ever do this beyond 4 voices? I need 6 or 8 at least.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:50 am

Why not just send the various controller signals to the Pro One synths via MIDI?

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 am

That would be nice, it would be great to do just midi but how would I polychain over midi? Thanks!

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:38 am

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're essentially just wanting to split a single midi signal and send it to lots of synths at the same time?

If that is the case then how about using a midi patchbay of some type and just map one input to all/as many as required outputs?

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:50 am

polychain is a little more complicated than just sending the same midi signal to all synths. You want one synth to trigger when you press the first note of your chord on the keyboard, the next synth to trigger with the next note, etc. I have a (n expensive) eurorack module that does this.

Wiggler Flareless has a MIDI polychain setup but I think he's using Moog synths that support MIDI polychain explicitly. There's probably an easier or cheaper solution than what either of us are doing. Maybe one that uses a computer.

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:53 pm

ranix wrote:polychain is a little more complicated than just sending the same midi signal to all synths. You want one synth to trigger when you press the first note of your chord on the keyboard, the next synth to trigger with the next note, etc. I have a (n expensive) eurorack module that does this.

Wiggler Flareless has a MIDI polychain setup but I think he's using Moog synths that support MIDI polychain explicitly. There's probably an easier or cheaper solution than what either of us are doing. Maybe one that uses a computer.
yeah thats why i would just use the encore expressionist so I could still play with a midi keyboard, but use CV gate. Would just be great to have filter cutoff and resonance send to all the synths...

I've heard the moog polychaining is buggy.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Future Retro Mondovox?

[video][/video]

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:45 pm

If the synth takes midi and CV you could use your module (es-3, es-8?) to send the pitch and control the global parameters over MIDI. Seems a simple solution.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

Be Sandy?
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Be Sandy? » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:24 pm

ranix wrote:polychain is a little more complicated than just sending the same midi signal to all synths. You want one synth to trigger when you press the first note of your chord on the keyboard, the next synth to trigger with the next note, etc. I have a (n expensive) eurorack module that does this.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation. Not the sort of thing I have need to do but if I did I'd probably involve a computer and try to patch something suitable up in Max.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Max/MSP or something similar is probably going to be your best bet. Future Retro Mondovox. I think Oberheim, made something in the Strummer/Cyclone line.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:43 pm

nadafarms wrote:That would be nice, it would be great to do just midi but how would I polychain over midi? Thanks!
Check to see if there is a way to shut off the PITCH signal going into the Pro One via MIDI (either not sending it from whatever your source is, or filtering it out at the Pro One).

That way, you use the Expressionist's eight analog pitch & gate signals to control the osc & trigger the EGs, and you ALSO use various midi CCs sent to the Pro Ones to control lots of other things, without 'doubling' the pitch CV by sending it to the Pro Ones via both analog control inputs and MIDI ins.

Or, use fewer Pro Ones and use the spare Expressionist channels as CV outputs instead of using them as pitch & gate outputs (each preset on the Expressionist can have any combination of pitch+gate or midi CC on any of the eight outputs). Like use five Pro Ones for a five-voice synth and use Expressionist outputs #6, 7, & 8 as some kind of CV outputs that each get mult-ed and sent to three CV inputs on all five Pro Ones.

umma gumma
Ultra Wiggler

Post by umma gumma » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:10 pm

I would be wary of some MIDI resolution issues, like filter sweeps stepping etc

maybe a mix of CV and MIDI would be the way to go?

Return to “General Gear”