3 tier stand for HEAVY synths?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

diller
Wiggling with Experience

3 tier stand for HEAVY synths?

Post by diller » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:38 pm

I am looking for a 3 tier stand for my rig. Right now I have a Moog One, Juno-60 and a OB-8 and they are all super heavy. I have an on stage a frame stand but it shakes and I am uneasy about leaving all 3 on the stand over night or unattended. Does anyone have a 3 tier stand they can recommend?

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Thomann sells Jaspers racks,
they are very nice. https://m.thomannmusic.com/jaspers_keyb ... _keys.html

kineticturtle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kineticturtle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:52 pm

YES I used to have a Jaspers stand rack they are super awesome, absolutely the thing you need.
FS/T: Various Euro and ConVertor+
I stream music making and LEGO on my Twitch channel.
Maths is hard, let's go shopping.

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

I think I have a standtastik and it rocks, super sold and open sides so great for long synths

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:41 pm

I haven't done this myself but consider making a stand out of Gibraltar hardware (typically used for drum racks and percussion setups). Looks sturdy to me! :tu:
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/

Introduction
[video][/video]

Build Details
[video][/video]

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:56 pm

I bought a jasper and my only regret is that I didn't get a 4 tier rack. They are great. Currently carrying my Juno 106, EQ1 and my Emulator 4K
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:33 am

Another for jasper here

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 am

This is probably going to sound like a broken record, but believe the praise for Jaspers stands. They are that good. I paid over a grand for a decked out Jaspers stand, but I not only think it's worth it (and I am even on a budget), but I wish I had bought one sooner. I absolutely love this stand.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:29 am

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... deluxe-bag

Have two of these and love them. The bits the keyboard rests on are extremely rugged and lock in place solid. None of the bounciness or issues with gradual loosening that I had with my old A frame. It isn’t as solid left-right as an A frame is, though it never feels precarious. I have no experience with a Jaspers,

Edit: not sure if it helps, but the thought of my cat jumping on one of the keys doesn’t scare the hell out of me like it did with my A frame. I sleep soundly with my Quantum on it. :hihi:

diller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diller » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks for the help here. Does anyone know if Jasper stands are available from US dealers?

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:25 am

I had mine shipped from Thomann to the US

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm

I'd still like to find storage for keyboards with roll-out shelves similar to the ones you can see in the studio tours Moby does:

That's completely ideal for my needs, but also I'm sure completely custom. I feel like I need to track someone down eventually who can build something like this for me in my place.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:01 pm

rowsbywoof wrote:I'd still like to find storage for keyboards with roll-out shelves similar to the ones you can see in the studio tours Moby does:

That's completely ideal for my needs, but also I'm sure completely custom. I feel like I need to track someone down eventually who can build something like this for me in my place.
Probably any decent cabinet carpenter could build that for you, just show the picture and the keyboards you want to put into it etc.

Also, here's a good article on a single pull out that could be expanded into multiple pull outs. (includes BOM and handy details)
https://microship.com/building-piano-drawer/

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Another vote for Jaspers. I have a 4-tier stand with a Polaris, Wavestation, DX7IID, MS-10, Pro-One, Streichfett, and MSQ-100. Hoping to eventually get some of the "monitor arms" to hold a Blofeld, some Electribes, etc.

No US dealers, so you have order it direct or via a European distributor.

My only regret is not having a bigger studio room...

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:17 am

Can anyone post pics of their Jasper 3 or 4 tier A-frame setup?
I got one and simply can not get things into happy positions! - controls are too hidden or the angle is just weird. Am I being dumb?

Those sliding shelves look kind of neat, but equally kind of 'are they playable?'. Though, yes, for neat *storage*.

diller
Wiggling with Experience

Post by diller » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:14 pm

BugBrand wrote:Can anyone post pics of their Jasper 3 or 4 tier A-frame setup?
I got one and simply can not get things into happy positions! - controls are too hidden or the angle is just weird. Am I being dumb?

Those sliding shelves look kind of neat, but equally kind of 'are they playable?'. Though, yes, for neat *storage*.
I think the sliding shelves are more for a central MIDI controller and the synths to be kept tucked away.

Is the shipping cost for the Jaspers expensive to the US?

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:23 pm

diller wrote:

I think the sliding shelves are more for a central MIDI controller and the synths to be kept tucked away.

You can see the shipping cost by putting a stand in the your "cart".

I just did it and the shipping for a 4 tier stand was 85 EUROS (currently @ $95)

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Have had success with the Klee clamp system as well.

https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pipe ... /kee-klamp

rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:43 pm

diller wrote:

Agreed. I want shelving like that not so much to have easy access to play things, but to have them setup and accessible while MIDI connected to a DAW. Definitely more for tweaking, and not really performing. :hihi:

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:51 am

Here's a picture of a loaded-up 5-tier. My place is small so I have a lot of stuff crammed into a small space. While sitting, the Nord Lead is at shoulder height. The DX7 is at elbow height, and the Axis is a little below knee height. The BCF2000 next to the Nord needs a new home but everything else is in a fine spot for me. I can move the Axis to a free rolling stand if I want to play it standing up but I usually only use it for building chords. It sends on the same MIDI channel as the Nord usually.

Epicentre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Epicentre » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Here’s my 6-tier. What it comes down to is good planning as to where you want your gear placed, but also obviously taking weight/size into consideration. I was able to set mine up and get the gear on there in about 3 hours. I’ve read a lot of posts like yours throughout the years about people having trouble with their stands, and the number one thing that makes it tough is frustration. Measure everything and sketch out your idea and it’ll come together.

gaslampmusehog
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gaslampmusehog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Appreciating these setups very much.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks for the pics & comments.
The depth on that top right 4 frame with SH101 etc looks nice - each level still seems accessible. Maybe it works better for drum machines etc rather than synths - putting them at an extreme angle just seems strange so far (though maybe people are playing them more with MIDI?)

Is that rack a regular Jasper one? Are the trays some sort of add on from them or something separate?

Cheers!

Epicentre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Epicentre » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm

BugBrand wrote:Thanks for the pics & comments.
The depth on that top right 4 frame with SH101 etc looks nice - each level still seems accessible. Maybe it works better for drum machines etc rather than synths - putting them at an extreme angle just seems strange so far (though maybe people are playing them more with MIDI?)

Is that rack a regular Jasper one? Are the trays some sort of add on from them or something separate?

Cheers!
Whoops! Sorry, should’ve clarified that the one on the right is a Standtastic with IKEA shoe rack shelving haha.

I hear ya, though, when you express your concern with the angle, but it’s not as bad as it looks. And actually, the only tier I have issues with is the bottom where the JP4 is. I’m triggering the arp from my 808 and tweaking on the fly, but yeah, it kinda blows having to sit my ass on the floor to do it. The pros far outweigh the cons though, and it’s not even close.

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:46 pm

i have gigged many times with my KM Spider Pros, and also use a pair of them in the studio for heavy vintage monsters. they can withstand anything cept a Rhodes piano.

on a gig, typically i had Jupiter 8, Andromeda and on top SEM plus SH2 and some pedals.

in general i think Jaspers are mega safe, but Spider just looks nicer, esp on stage IMO. i like that synths look almost as if hovering in the air, and not being framed with the large tubes. i've gotten used to Spider simply being out of the way. i dont see it, it leaves pedal/feet space free. also, its quicker to assemble and dissasemble than Jasper's.

cheers
- music for film, tv and theatre -

Return to “General Gear”